PDA

View Full Version : Pride in Me

Starkist
06-30-2003, 01:14 AM
My pride is politically incorrect... I would march in a Christian pride parade, or an American pride parade. How about a save-virginity-till-marriage pride parade? Or a straight people pride parade? Or a people-of-European-descent-and-white-skin pride parade? Is there anything about me I can take pride in, without others taking offense? Or am I instead the epitome of intolerance, aggrandizement, and the evil of majority rule?

Seriously though, can't people take pride in things that are a part of their heritage, even if the media and a vocal minority voices their displeasure?

Ich
06-30-2003, 01:23 AM
My Western Cultures teacher wanted to organize a "Straight Pride Parade" because that is the life style he lives and encourages. I would have marched, because it's what I believe in too, although I know I would be considered a homophobe for probably the rest of my natural life.

vrsmrt13
06-30-2003, 01:45 AM
I personaly think that you can take things in heratege things, and if other people have a problem with it, i think that they are the ones to have issues.

TheGeepster
06-30-2003, 12:23 PM
*chuckles* Hey, I'm proud to be heterosexual. If all lifestyles really are equivalent in value, and homosexuals are allowed to have their own puvblic events, why not us fellows who go for only women, the the ladies who go only for us?

For that matter, what if I'm proud of my "dear Lord, your legs are blinding me" white guy heritage? Hey, it's just as good as any other culture, right?

/me makes a note to make a thread on moral relativism in Think Tank.

Jigglysaint
06-30-2003, 01:34 PM
Well guys just to add fuel to the fire, Toronto just had it's gay pride weekend yesterday, and it's now legal to marry someone of the same sex in Canada.

I want to move to the states....

TheGeepster
06-30-2003, 02:05 PM
Well, if they want equality, then we also get equality, right? After all, aren't we supposed to be a tolerant society nowadays, having long abandoned the victorian notion that any person's belief and lifestyle is better or worse than any other?

And has anyone seen my drip pan? I'm getting my sarcasm all over everything..

Masamune
06-30-2003, 03:44 PM
why is it ok for african americans to have "black pride" but whities aren't allowed to have white pride? because that's discrimination also. discriminating for discriminating or something...

Starkist
06-30-2003, 03:58 PM
The problem with 'white pride' is that it gets associated with xenophobic groups such as the KKK. (That black pride can be associated with the Black Panthers doesn't seem to stick.) There is a line between taking pride in yourself, your community, and seeing yourself as superior to another community.

For example, anti-Americans in this country, and many citizens of other countries cannot distinguish between healthy patriotism and arrogant unilateralism.

Daarkseid
06-30-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Jigglysaint
and it's now legal to marry someone of the same sex in Canada.

Hey now... this made my plan for marrying somebody from Canada to take advantage of their healthcare system a hell of a lot easier.

Jigglysaint
06-30-2003, 04:35 PM
And religous zealots can't tell the difference between regular doctrinal debate and a chance to purge humanity of a heritic.

Starkist
06-30-2003, 04:37 PM
Religion is slightly different, in that only one (or neither, if you wanna be agnostic about it) of us can be right. :spin:

Ian
06-30-2003, 10:27 PM
But it's not really fair, in a sense. Everyone else get's their own day, except for white poeple. It's like black poeple can celebrate being black, but if white poeple celebrate being white, then we're discriminating everyone else. I guess you can't make everyone happy, so just take pride in what you think you should, while thinking about how much it will cost if you get half your teeth knocked out by half the country.

Jigglysaint
06-30-2003, 10:43 PM
If you are truely proud of your heritage, you don't need a fancy parade with transvestite mermaids to feel good about yourself.

I don't ask for any Mormon Pride days, or White Pride days, or Straight Pride days, or even a "I'm a really good friend and smart when I'm not online complaining like a loser" day.

Pride cometh before the fall...

tgf_guy
07-01-2003, 12:59 AM
Certainly, I consider, "pride" parades a simply rediculous media grabber, similar to scandals in the Hollywood tabloid syndicate.

Pablo
07-01-2003, 04:58 PM
Heh, I continually find it amusing that the blacks/asians/hispanics/gays/feminists/poor/etc. have managed to completely turn around the discrimination situation.

Aren't we ordinary, straight, middle-class white guys the scum of the earth, according to some of the more, ah, flamboyant members of those groups?

What did we do to deserve half of the globe treating us like crap? Aside from our great-great-grandfathers treating their great-great-grandfathers (or -mothers, for you sexual-equality zealots out there) like crap?

(if you are offended by any of this post, well, too bad. I'm expressing my opinion.)

TheGeepster
07-02-2003, 11:11 PM
Parts of the past die hard. But among the aspects of the past which refuse to die, the specter of clinging to a sense of injustice is among the most persistent of past ghosts to get rid of. Take the concept of "reparations", for instance. There are a great many people who cannot see that the people in today's society are not the same as people in the society of yesteryear.

They cling to a sense of injustice, because they seem to feel that because their ancestors were wrongly treated, that they deserve to be conpensated for that. But the concept of reparations is this: that the party which did the wrong compensate the party upon whom the wrong was done. In the case of American slavery, neither party is alive, so the proper concept of reparations makes no sense.

And religion is idea-based, which does make it different than the concept of ethnicity. Ideas can be wrong or right. One idea can be better than another. The same cannot be said for ethnicity or the ideas of beauty and looks.