PDA

View Full Version : Best route for a beginner?

ActiveAero
06-29-2003, 10:30 PM
Nice to meet everyone. I just got introduced the Zelda Quest by accident. I decided to plug up my old NES and was browsing around the web looking for online manuals to a few of my games when I found this. I have since downloaded version 1.90 and have been messing around with it. I'm able to do the very basic stuff now (like make shops, and have enemies drop items), but thats about it. I would also like to note that I have no programming experience and I'm not exactly a computer geek (wish I was, but I'm to interested in cars) so alot of this stuff is taking a little time for me to grasp, but I plan on making this a new hobbie.

My question is what is the best way to get started. I noticed that alot of people have some pretty fancy stuff going on such as enchanced SNES style graphics and such. My quest (if you can call it that) consists of the old school graphics. I know getting the basics down is important, but will I later be ticked off that I made a quest that is out of date so to speak? If the concepts and ideas carry over and it is only graphical changes is there any reason for me to be using the old graphic tiles (I think thats the term).

Would some of you more expierenced guys recommend what version I should be using. Currently running windows XP. Thanks.

Foxx
06-30-2003, 05:34 AM
A couple sites to get you started:

http://www.casadealphadawg.com/zc/zqtutorial

http://www.geocities.com/idontknowtutorial/contents.html

Kirby of Doom
06-30-2003, 11:50 AM
Use the newest beta and a really nice graphics pack. It's always good to go with the newest stuff. ;)

idontknow
06-30-2003, 12:51 PM
i suggest viewing alphadawg's zquest tutorial first in order to grasp the real fundamentals of zquest & then perhaps viewing mine for more in depth details as to how to use the latest utilities (especially if you want to use the latest public beta, beta 182). it might also be nice to download & play a few really good quests to get an idea of how to use zquest to your full advantage. good luck! :)