PDA

View Full Version : Fav. Winamp Plug-ins

TedHead
06-28-2003, 09:54 PM
I love Winamp! My super duper audio player... it's so lovable. I want to download lots of cool stuff for it!

So my question for you is what are your favorite Winamp plug-ins? Which are the coolest? Preferably for Winamp 2 cuz I like that one more, but Winamp 3 is okay too.

Jigglysaint
06-28-2003, 10:33 PM
All the video game music plugins.

Starkist
06-28-2003, 10:44 PM
Winamp3 has a plugin that mimics the 'jump' function from Winamp 2...

TedHead
06-29-2003, 08:45 AM
What is this "jump" function?

Gerudo
06-29-2003, 09:10 AM
winamp2 aint werkin on my system, so i only use winamp3 whenever i listen to shoutcast stations (www.shoutcast.com)

Dark_Legend
06-29-2003, 10:48 AM
I only got winamp 2 but i think that winamp 3 is way better for the variety of skins!

TedHead
06-29-2003, 12:56 PM
Winamp 3 is cool, but when I had it, it went really really slowly, and it wasn't compatible with a lot of programs I used that had Winamp compatibility, and I couldn't expect updates of those programs supporting Winamp 3 because they had all been abandoned.

Besides being slow, I found Winamp 3 to freeze and crash a lot. I also couldn't get the file info thing to work, like editing the MP3 tags or submitting CDDB stuff to Gracenote. It wouldn't work...

And now with Winamp 2.91, really the only feature Winamp 3 has that Winamp 2 doesn't is the freeform skins, and that's a feature I think I can live without.

Kryten
06-29-2003, 10:17 PM
All of Peter Pawlowski various plugins are kickass, my faves being the gapless waveOut/DirectSound plugins and the Vorbis OGG decoder/encoder combo. His best feature is the tag display format which allows for almost any kind of formatting you can dream of. Hell, they're so good they've become a standard part of Winamp! After those, the Festalon NSF, SNESAmp, and Highly Experimental PSF players are all excellent.

I've never been a fan of Winamp3, and with each update, I haven't seen much improvement in the gross overuse of RAM and processing power. There are also a number of major bugs that need fixing, not to mention that the provided set of audio plugins suck in comparison to the ones coded for 2. It is a good idea, but I think they've really rushed it out the door and are now stuck having to fix all the bugs and implement all the requested new features and don't have the time to give it the good ground-up cleaning it really needs.

The Savior
06-29-2003, 10:29 PM
The Vima AVS pack kicks MAJOR ass, if you don't have it, I highly reccommend getting it. The Tonic pack is pretty cool, too.

TedHead
06-29-2003, 10:31 PM
I've never been into all the visual plug-ins...

they look pretty, but they slow down my computer, and I am always doing something else while listening to music that would prevent me from looking into the visuals.

Ich
06-30-2003, 12:24 AM
I've got a pluging that allows me to manipulate Winamp using my joystick. I have it configured so that whenever I feel like it (when I don't want to switch windows or have a screen saver with password protection on) I can pause, unpause, skip songs, etc. It's great.

TedHead
06-30-2003, 12:26 AM
Finally! A plug-in that sounds appealing to me! :D hehe.

Do you think you could post a link maybe...?