PDA

View Full Version : Filling that Map

DragonCommander
06-28-2003, 05:15 PM
Everyone knows you get a map from 00 to F7 to fill with overworld or dungeon. My trouble is, I have trouble filling that space. I usually end up with an incredible small, compressed map with every major thing contained in a 4x4 area or so. How do I fill the map with crap and expand the overworld? I am, of course, assuming that the original games filled all or nearly all of the map available.

syphon_dragon
06-28-2003, 05:26 PM
even tho im a newb, ill try to help:

there doesnt need to b something important in every screen. a useful thing to do is if yur making a path, hav it go onto another screen. have that screen b designed just for the path. add some details ect.

lol but i dont know... im just a well intentioned newb.

mjctraider
06-28-2003, 05:28 PM
you could move the entrances to the dungeons futher out and maybe add a town or two to your overworld. You could always add a lake or a forest or even a desert Link has to travel through to get to the dungeons. You could ven add some mountains areas he has to walk through to get to where you want him to go. Basically use your imagination and you shouldn't have a problem filling up the map. If your having trouble coming up with ideas play some quests and see how they have their overworld set up and maybe then you can come up with your own unique ideas to create your overworld.

Tsukuru
06-28-2003, 06:40 PM
Also, use a program like Excel or tables in Microsoft Word to design your overworld before you even open ZQuest. That way, you can move dungeons around and focus on the design without having to worry about each individual screen at the same time.

DragonCommander
06-28-2003, 06:46 PM
I don't have anything like Excel or Word. I have no office software whatsoever.

Sephiroth
06-28-2003, 10:17 PM
I dont have those programs either,,, I use Quatrro pro 10 from the Wordperfect software... :) That really helped me when I'm designing my overworld...

Jigglysaint
06-28-2003, 10:32 PM
You could try to make smaller overworlds. Shadowblazer's quest was tiny, but qute good for it's time.

Ganonator
06-29-2003, 01:06 AM
the question now, Jiggly, is where is the link to Tiny Quest?

Arathorn21st
07-03-2003, 03:53 PM
Tiny Quest: http://www.zcnetwork.net/qdb/comp/Shadowblazer/Tiny.htm

Cloral
07-03-2003, 10:36 PM
I used to have a page I could print out that was a large 8x8 grid. Then I could sketch into each screen what sorts of stuff I wanted there. This sort of thing can be useful when designing areas.