PDA

View Full Version : New ESRB ratings system

Paradox
06-27-2003, 09:42 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&ncid=581&e=1&u=/nm/20030628/tc_nm/media_ratings_dc_1

TedHead
06-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Yaaaaay, more ratings for me to ignore!!!

Hehe... remember when K-A changed to E for everyone? Now those were exciting times.

gdorf
06-27-2003, 10:23 PM
I, for one, think it is pretty cool what they are doing. The current ratings are so vague that they really don't do a lot of good. There is an enormous difference between Soldiers of Fortune and XXXI, and I think the ratings should convey that.

I like the idea for the information it brings to the customers, but I think it is a feeble attempt at changing the governments decision to put an age-limit on games. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

J.J. Maxx
06-27-2003, 10:29 PM
The ESRB said its "cartoon violence" label will apply to games in which violent acts happen to animated characters

Like a down-and-out plumber succumbimg to his LSD-induced hysteria and crushing a poor hapless turtle until it's body violently heaves itself from it's shell? :eek:

I'm so glad we're wrning parents about these dangerous games. :rolleyes:

Dart Zaidyer
06-27-2003, 10:36 PM
Hmm, it's in response to local government legislation.

'Bout time. I just hope, like the ESRB itself, that it doesn't FUEL the angry parents who want the government to raise their kids.

inori
06-28-2003, 06:28 AM
The ESRB defines "intense violence" as bloody, gory and realistic-looking depictions of human injury or death, while "sexual violence" covers the depiction of rape.

I don't think I've ever seen a game that would receive the "sexual violence" label. At least not in the United States; Japan is a different story...

Mak-X
06-28-2003, 02:46 PM
I thought the ratings were fairly clear and fine as they were before. E is for Everyone, T is for Teen, Mature is for 17+, and they put little details on the back of the box for the rating.

Dart Zaidyer
06-28-2003, 09:19 PM
Details on the back of the box?

That's probably why it needs changing. Most stores keep games under lock and key behind a glass case, so you can't see the back of the box until it's too late.

TedHead
06-28-2003, 09:31 PM
I've never seen a sexual violence label either, but the worst rated game I've seen is Conker's Bad Fur Day. I think that was rated Mature and then they put an extra little warning on it that you should be 18 or up...

Mak-X
06-28-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Dart_Zader
Details on the back of the box?

That's probably why it needs changing. Most stores keep games under lock and key behind a glass case, so you can't see the back of the box until it's too late.

Yeah, on the back of game boxes for the last 3-4 years or so, there will be the rating again, and a description under it like "Comic mischief/violence", "Mature Language", "Nudity" etc. Even still, there is a rating on the front that tells you who the game is for. At least games were ruled that they are a form of expression and can't be regulated, this is probably in response to that to better the ESRBs efforts I guess.

Ganonator
06-29-2003, 12:14 AM
Remember the good ol' days before old people who didn't play games decided what was appropriate for kiddies?

It's not about what they are rated, save Mature. Mature games ding on my register, and you have to be at least 17 to purchase them - and that's pretty true anywhere in the country.

I think it should be up to AGN to decide what is appropriate for the kids. Have prospective gamers join. If they get banned within in the first month, they should only play games with an E... manage 6 months, and they get Teen, regular members would get the Mature, and special people, pretty much only zaph or SB, would get to play the ones rated S&M-O.. err.. A-O..

Dark_Legend
06-29-2003, 11:37 AM
Those ratings are SHIT!

DragonCommander
06-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Not that they matter to me one iota, since my mother buys the games and doesn't give a crap for ratings.

MottZilla
06-29-2003, 04:03 PM
Am I the only one that things the rating system is horrible? It's covering up my precious box art!

Also, the ESRB rating system last I heard was voluntary. Anyway, besides remembering a time where there were no ratings, anyone remember that time when people didn't blame video games for things? Things that were the parents faults?

AlexMax
06-29-2003, 04:14 PM
I agree with Mott. What happened to parent accountability?

On the other hand, I'm 18, and can buy all the M rated games I want. So HA HA!

(Actually, does anyone remember another rating system that looked like a thermoniter? Whatever happened to that one?)

(Another note. The first game that I ever got that was actually rated was...DOOM ][. And it was M rated. And look how good I turned out.....wait.,....well at leat I'm never went into my elementary school with a glock or anything...)