PDA

View Full Version : AlexMax's reviews of MGS2, Project Gotham Racing, Midtown Madness 3 (XBOX)

AlexMax
06-27-2003, 12:21 AM
Got a few more games for my Xbox. My reflections on them follow.

Metal Gear Solid 2 : Substance

It's Metal Gear Solid 2 with substance. What else can I say about it? It's got loads of VR missions, tons of alternate missions and best of all, there is even more stuff to surprise you when you think you're done. And oh yeah, there is lots of HF Blade lovin in there too. Still, parts seem ameteurish. Would it have killed Konami to modify the effects just a tiny bit to take out the slowdown? You can't tell it durring the VR missions, but in some places you notice that it stutters (First room in plant, if you run from the back of the pool to the front) and sometimes altogether drops off (Anywhere outside the Tanker ), and its just a shame that Konami didn't take the extra time to optimize it. The controls kick ass thoough, and for 19 bucks, it was defeniatly worth it

+ It's Metal Gear Solid 2
+ Added on VR missions and alternate missions
+ Say what you want, the storyline is awesome...if just a tad bit (yeah right) confusing
+ The price is right
- Slowdown? On a MORE POWERFUL system? Puhleeze....
- Going for what is supposed to be an easy holdup is easily foiled when you slip in bird crap. It's even more painful when friends are watching... -_-

Project Gotham Racing
Quite possibly the best racing game since GT4. And I didn't even like GT4. There is just something about this game that just clicks for me. Maybe it's the beauty of the cars or the small overhead of the races. Maybe it's the Kudos system. Maybe its the sheer addiction of the Kudos challange which makes you constantly improve and improve to the point of perfection. Whatever...this is hard to put down.

+ Addictive
+ Control and Car Physics are a dream...especially considering that the last racer I tried was Auto Modelista
+ Beautiful
+ The price is right...now that is....
- The wait for Project Gotham 2 to add XBL support is almost umbearable. I mean come on, it could get more popular than GT4...

Midtown Madness 3
An urban racer, similar to Midnight Club 2, Driver, and the like. Something is really screwed up about this game. It's like it's trying to be hokey on purpose and fails miserably and turns into an outstanding game. The countdown even goes 3....2....1....! Yeah...that's a whole lot of ! that will be going on after the start of the race. You see, the laws of physics are constantly being defied in this game. You slam into another car, you expect a nice CRUNCH, instead the other car flies out of your way and you loose...a little bit of speed. You hit a jump, you get a little hang time, then WHAM, into the ground you go. Driving on sidewalks is similar to driving through a tree branch...you go through at an insane speed all the while the leaves...or chairs, tables and peds...are rapidly parting to make way for you. It's intoxicating, and the crazyness online is basically the entire reason you bought XBL.

+ Insane gameplay
+ You bought XBL for this game.
+ You'll probably go wide eyed ten different times for various reasons.
+ Better looking than the average urban racer