PDA

View Full Version : Ack! Help! (DVD ROM drive problem)

goKi
06-26-2003, 07:27 AM
Today i got myself a new DVD ROM drive (AOpen DVD-1648/BKH), after installing it, i ran it through simple tests (copying files from CD, DVD, installing programs, playing music etc). but when i tried to play a DVD video, the sound was crackling, skipping and echoing. I have updated my sound card drivers to try and rectify the problem (Creative Vibra 128), which didnt solve the problem whatsoever. So basically what im asking for is a little bit of knowlegde in this area, as i have no idea why it reads off cds and dvds fine, but when it comes to playing DVD movies, the sound can be so horrible. I havent experienced any abnormalities in any other sound playback other than in the movies, and tested it on both PowerDVD XP 4.0 and Windows Media Player 9, with the same result. Any ideas?

The Savior
06-26-2003, 11:12 AM
How fast is your computer, and how much RAM do you have? The only thing I can think of is that something other than the drive is causing the problem.

El Oso Verde
06-26-2003, 01:26 PM
Yeah, from my experience it would probably be that your processor is bogged down, or your ram is being eaten.

Check and see how many hidden programs you have running behind windows in the ctrl+alt+delete menu. Most of the time there are more things in there than you will ever need. I generally try to only keep the one absolutely neccesary.

But first and foremost, like he said, how much ram do you have, and what is your proc speed?

goKi
06-27-2003, 12:20 AM
That is not the problem at all, unfortunately

Processor speed: 900MHz
RAM: 640MB (even with games and several programs running, i never use over 50% of my memory).
im thinking it could be a problem with the drive, i guess i may have to exchange it for a new one, and see if i have the same problem.

goKi
06-27-2003, 02:48 AM
....Great, i just found out that the problem apparantely lies in something to do with my DMA settings, or my sound card's hardware acceleration, but the guys who sold me the drive yesterday want me to pay them another $25 just to get it fixed! Also, they wont accept the 'used' drive back, as it isnt faulty (which i expected, except the kid who was working there yesterday told me i could return it if it was incompatible). That kid was just a temp, and finished 20 minutes before i came in to return the drive, so theres nothing i can do, unless i can fix it myself. I guess if i cant learn to fix it, ill either have to pay the $25 to get it fixed, or sell it for about $30 less than i bought it for yesterday. Yet another way that ive been fucked over -_-'

The Savior
06-27-2003, 12:34 PM
Try posting your problem at [url=forums.bit-tech.net-Bit-Tech[/url], they can usually help with things like this.

Flash Man
06-27-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by goKi
(Creative Vibra 128
Either that or the way you have your speakers connected is the problem. If its just through normal computer speakers then it is definately the sounds card. The Vibra 128 is old stuff, a not totally new but decent Sound Blaster Live 5.1 runs for about $33USD. If you are running different cable from the sound card like optical, or coaxial then that could be a problem because you'd be converting from the original cable and its not increasing quality which would magnify the crackling.