PDA

View Full Version : Pure Tileset

Tsukuru
06-25-2003, 11:05 AM
The Pure tileset is the most overused tileset in ZC. Everyone knows that. So do this mean that quests that use this tileset get lowered a notch when it comes to rating?

It's a hard decision. Use an old tileset and some people will rate it lower just because of the graphics, but use the Pure tileset and the people who appreciate good design and gameplay rate it lower because sick of the tileset.

What to do?

DarkFlameWolf
06-25-2003, 11:31 AM
Exactly, I've wanted to use the PureZC tileset in one of my quests due to its amazingly versitality and ability to make rich worlds. But its been so over-used its hard to use it now because of all the criticism over quests using it and not being 'original'

Petoe
06-25-2003, 11:32 AM
I'm sick and tired to see Pure tileset used in every other quest. And yes, if people can't make new tilesets, or at least use different ones, the rating of the graphics should be lowered. But graphics shouldn't affect too much to the overal rating of the quests. In my opinion good quests are all about gameplay, and actually it's a shame that nobody wants to use old, classic graphics (which are improved a lot of course!) anymore. :(
Almost all the new "big" quests that are under work, concentrate too much to the graphics. The demos I've played... they're just boring.

Dart Zaidyer
06-25-2003, 11:51 AM
In my opinion, if you're going to use the Pure set, you had better make some custom tiles, and not just cheap hacks of what's already in there either. You should also make a custom Link; the Pure Link is some sort of twisted LttP Wind Waker brown-hair link that isn't very good at being any of these things.

Tsukuru
06-25-2003, 12:35 PM
Yes, that's what I was thinking of doing, using the Pure tileset but changing Link sprites, modifying tiles, and adding new ones. Those measures would go a long way to make the quest seem a little more "unique".

DarkFlameWolf
06-25-2003, 12:40 PM
or adding new palettes. :)

ShadowTiger
06-25-2003, 12:49 PM
using the Pure tileset but changing Link sprites, modifying tiles, and adding new ones Not to mention my addition to the PZC Tiles database for when the next public version is released. ;)

I believe that in the right hands, the PZC set is utterly perfect. It's like chess. It's fairly simple to learn but difficult to master. And believe you me, we have plenty of masters around here. :rolleyes:

*point up*

Ganonator
06-25-2003, 02:15 PM
*cough*

The Pure set is great, but not perfect - it is actually incomplete.
I am using a hybrid of that and Orion's Z3, and I changed link to the OoT one in the sprite sheet. Much better.

As far as making my own tiles, there are PLENTY to be covered. Play around with it, and you shall find those. Also, when you need tiles for ANY set, MAKE THEM YOURSELF.

I have added approximately 2 pages of my own shet because there are so many to be added. Mix and match, and have fun, kiddies.

Raichu86
06-30-2003, 05:36 PM
With the large amount of time I put into the organization of the set, I'm surprised more people don't try making changes to it. It's easy to find what you want to change, whether it be tiles or palletes. More people should consider using the Pure Tileset as a starter template, replacing tiles and palletes as they go to give their quest a unique look. :shrug: