PDA

View Full Version : Searching for ancient games.

Blonde799
06-23-2003, 07:27 AM
Man, finding the classic games I want has been a tough task. First off, I looked for Mortal Kombat Trilogy(the better version for the PS), and got a used one for $10. Not bad. Then I tried to look for Street Fighter EX plus Alpha(one of the better street fighter EX games), and I'm currently going against a few chaps in order to get it(hopefully I don't have to pay $30, bills have to be paid you know:p). And then, I tried looking for G Darius(a game I rented 6 years ago), and it was nowhere to be found.:(

So, how hard is it to find your favorite game from way back when? What lengths would you go in order to get it?

AtmaWeapon
06-23-2003, 08:11 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3529703441&category=11322

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=G+Darius

I never have any troubles finding my favorite games in 10 seconds at ebay.

TedHead
06-23-2003, 08:29 AM
If my parents would let me, I would use Ebay. But I can find pretty much every single game I am looking for in my own city at low prices!

I can get NES games from $1-$5, SNES from $5-$10, PS1 from $5-$15, and N64 from $15-$50. All my stores have quite a good selection too!

Try going out to a pawn shop. Or Cash Converters. They often have good games. Also try Electronics Boutique (mine recently got a ton of rare N64 games!) and Microplay (which ALWAYS has rare games)

Yoshiman
06-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I use ebay. I bought Chrono Trigger off it for $28. A little pricey for my tastes, but it's a very good game. I'm thinking about buying a PS1 and a few games for around $40 dollars. I've seen Playstations for about $10 on ebay.

vegeta1215
06-23-2003, 05:01 PM
I been doing some old game searches lately cause I just got FFVII and Chrono Cross for the PSX. In my opinion the best places to go are:

- Half.com - if you have an ebay account, you also have a Half.com account, which is where people sell stuff similar to ebay but at fixed prices (no bidding)
- ebay - naturally
- froogle.com - this is google's beta search engine for searching online stores. for being beta, it works damn good!

Blonde799
06-23-2003, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.:) I'm currently at ebay trying to win an item(how do you proxy bid anyway? I'm tired of checking every time some dumbass outbids me by $.50).:p

Yoshiman
06-23-2003, 10:35 PM
Yeah, that's how it was for me when I bought Chrono Trigger. It started at $15, but someone kept out bidding me by 50 cents. What I try to do is find an item that has only an hour left and then put the price up $5.

Blonde799
06-23-2003, 10:42 PM
Maybe that's what I'll do. Near the end of the auction, I'll try and proxy bid up $30. I really want this game, I'll pay anything!:p

inori
06-24-2003, 06:51 AM
The general strategy on eBay is to decide in advance how much you're willing to pay, and bid that much. eBay will increase your actual bid by just enough to outbid everyone else, up to the limit you've set by your maximum bid. Sniping may be fun, but it's not really all that useful.

I don't usually have a problem finding the games I want; I already have most of them, so I just look in the game drawer. :kawaii:

Vile Diety
06-25-2003, 01:31 PM
It's true Ebay is probably the most effective tool to find your favorite classic video games but being the I'm not allowed to use it I am forced to search the various game stores in my area in hopes to one day find a copy of Kartia II (sigh)

MottZilla
06-25-2003, 02:13 PM
Actually inori, the later the bid, the less likely the lead bidder, should their bid proxy not be higher, will have time to put up a higher bid. When I got my Sega Saturn off ebay I was reloading the page rapidly incase anyone tried to outbid me! :O

Also, G. Darius, isn't that a port of Darius Gaiden? In which case, I bought that game for Sega Saturn and it rules. :O I got it for like 15$, CD, Case, and Booklet! =D

TedHead
06-25-2003, 10:47 PM
Hehe... I have Darius Gaiden for the computer... not to change the subject or anything.

Daarkseid
06-25-2003, 11:34 PM
I have Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, it came with the used PSX I bought for 100 back in 1998. Its fun, but I wouldn't consider it among the best SF games.

Blonde799
06-26-2003, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by Daarkseid
I have Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, it came with the used PSX I bought for 100 back in 1998. Its fun, but I wouldn't consider it among the best SF games.
Of course. After SFEX2+ came out, that series went downhill IMHO.