PDA

View Full Version : What the... so it IS real?!

jman2050
06-20-2003, 10:47 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6030285.html

This is easily one of the more interesting pieces of news I've seen in a while. I thought this thing was forgotten a long time ago. I honestly thought it was a hoax...

Dart Zaidyer
06-20-2003, 11:39 AM
It probably still is. If you look up the address of Infinium's "corporate HQ" you'll find none other than a few trees and a mailbox shop. At least, last time I checked.

tgf_guy
06-20-2003, 12:57 PM
Remember how Dawn had beta sign ups a long time ago?

Precisely.

jman2050
06-20-2003, 01:32 PM
Well if it isn't the people doing this are either very persistant or just downright retarded :p

Ian
06-20-2003, 01:58 PM
It probably is a hoax. I'm not quite sure why someone would go to this extent to pull a hoax, but there are poeple out there like that. Remeber that March 16 site or something?

Brasel
06-20-2003, 02:15 PM
I still don't know what to make of this...Who would put that kind of time and effort into that site if its just a hoax?

Jawa Podracer
06-20-2003, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I also thought it was a hoax. Meh. If it was real, it'll probably sell as well as E.T.

Ian
06-20-2003, 09:23 PM
But if it is real, then why would they want it to be a big secret? Nobody will be interested if they barely release any info on it, let alone not showing what it looks like. (from what I can tell, it looks bigger than the X-box, and about twice as heavy j/k)

Blonde799
06-20-2003, 10:38 PM
Jman, you're pretty late.:p

If anyone remembered, I had a post detailing that it wasn't a hoax, with proof.:p

Dart Zaidyer
06-21-2003, 12:37 AM
I think it might sell, at least for a while. I mean, it is PC compatible. that makes it good for about half a year of PC gaming!

TheGeepster
06-21-2003, 02:12 PM
RECENTLY FOUND EVIDENCE For what it is worth, the employees at a local GameStop did comment that the Phantom was a verified console project. The question of how well it will fare will only be answered when the console is revealed and begins to be sold.

Apparently, Infinium Labs was formed last October, so this would explain why nobody had heard of them before this Phantom thing.

Is this for real?

Arguments For
If it is a hoax or prank, then they've gone to a lot of trouble to pull it. Even to the point of creating an original icon, and a line of basic clothing with the icon (including a thong..)

They have also done quite a bit of advertising, with several gaming companies.

The creation of a broadband-based console is certainly not beyond reason, and would create a new kind of niche in the market.

It has resurfaced again, something which doesn't tend to be true of hoaxes and pranks.

Arguments Against
The aforementioned fact that nothing is listed for the address they gave.

The fact that the only picture of this device is one hidden underneath a veil, one which could just be a fancy VCR as far as anyone can tell.

The URL you get sent to consists of four numbers separated by dots. Yep, it's simply an IP address..

They're awful secretive about this, and the skepticism which comes from this approach can't be all that good, can it?

The Conclusion
That no conclusion can yet be made. I think this just may be authentic, but I'll have to see something more definitive before I will place any trust in it.

If it does end up being a real project, then how viable a product will certainly be a major question. It will depend on how well the product works, and whether it will gain enough support from game-makers and gamers to survive in the difficult console market.