PDA

View Full Version : Careers

Trevelyan_06
06-19-2003, 10:06 PM
I like to discuss my career with people who are interested because I am very passoniate about it. I think I have hinted about it, and maybe even mentioned it once. I want to be a police officer. Not because I want to harass teens, or because I want to be this big powerful whatever. I want to do it because I enjoy protecting others. If you don't want my protection that's fine by me, what hurts is when people stop talking to me when I let them know that I want to be a policeman as if I all policemen are big jerks.

Well, now that that is out of the way, I would really like to know what it is all of you would like to do with your life and why it is you think you want to do that.

Ganonator
06-19-2003, 10:20 PM
Up to about 8th grade, a was adamant I was going into the game developing industry. I knew that that was my future, and I would totally do it one day.

That dream crumbled in high school.

I had an incredibly nack for winning elections - of course, they were simple high school bullshit, but i never lost. I figured that maybe some career in the public spotlight would be nice. I toured a college my junior year and their poli sci department, then that was out too.

My senior year of high school, being the student body president, I did the televised morning anouncements. It was all good fun, and I was not camera shy.

Soo.. my first year of college I went to Concordia in Moorhead, MN to be a broadcaster. Lots of fun, I was the weatherman for the campus tv station, and that was my future. Until March.

March came around, and I was extrememly unhappy with my life. Everything was hell. I wanted to get out - and that's exactly what I did. I finished up school in minnesota, got decent grades for my high level of apathy, mind you, and applied and got accepted to Digipen.

My career? Making video games. That's what I do best. hopefully, i'll stick with it, and do it when i'm out of college.

Trevelyan_06
06-19-2003, 10:27 PM
You know Ganonater if making video games is what you really like doing, then I think you should stick with it. People today only base their careers on how much money they could make or how much prestige their title has. That's not right. You should do what you like. I'm not saying to be a totally worthless lazy jerk, but find something you can make a decent living with that you like and stick with it.

In my career I'm only ever going to make about 50,000-60,000 a year, maybe a little more if I become a Lt. or a Captain. But I'm fine with that, because I know that I could have this day and get up for work everyday and not be depressed because I hate my job.

P.S. For all those who read this: I realize how it's a little ironic that a police MAN, emphasis on the fact that I am male, has a bunny for an avatar.

Ich
06-19-2003, 10:40 PM
I had been thinking about going into either computers or German. I think I'd be about as happy as I could be if I moved to Germany and taught English (like we teach Spanish here), or if I became a professor and taught German to college students. Both would be pretty good.

Trevelyan_06
06-19-2003, 10:54 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me Walross. What is the cost of living over in Germany though? I mean your plan sounds very good but it might be something you would want to consider. I personally have no idea how difficult it is to move to Germany permantly. Whatever you pick just make sure you're happy with it and the rest will follow.

Ian
06-19-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Ganonator
March came around, and I was extrememly unhappy with my life. Everything was hell. I wanted to get out - and that's exactly what I did. I finished up school in minnesota, got decent grades for my high level of apathy, mind you, and applied and got accepted to Digipen.

:eek: You got into Digipen? I've always wanted to go there, or maybe check out one of their summer camps, but that's a long ways away, sicen I'm in 7th grade. I Hope to do something with programming, and to start off, I'll be getting ProjectFUN (Digipen thing) this summer (hopefully). Ever since I remember, I've played video games, and I always wanted to make my own (you know, not by myself, but help make one)

But I'd also love to be able to work with the Hubble Space Telescope. Sometimes I turn on the Space channel (Canadain) to see all the differnt pictures from the Hubble, I think they look amazing. I've always been fascinated with space, and if gaming doesn't go through, that's where' I'd be headed next. (As in NASA, not actualy go out in space :P)

Ganonator
06-20-2003, 12:17 AM
I was very surprised by getting in, but math and computers are second nature. Just make sure that you have a very deep understanding of calculus and comp sci (C or C++) and you should get in just peachy.

Brasel
06-20-2003, 12:24 AM
I was originally going into business and accounting, then going to be a history teacher, and now I'm concidering broadcasting. Don't know how its all gonna pan out in the end though.

Elena
06-20-2003, 12:46 AM
About 2 years ago me and a few members of my family, my 16 year old aunt,my two siters and my aunts cousin, got together and decided that when we got older we would all start a RPG company. I was so up for it but now I've kind of givven that up and I really want to be either an actress or a rock star/any other music besides country. I think It'd be real kool to be up on stage and showin all my rivals from school how much I am better than them. I can't really get a job dealing with education because I'm not planning on going to collage so if I never become the 2 things I wish to become then I'm screwed. Cuz I am really not all that smart. Oh well. Just as long as I've got my man wit me I'll be totally satisfied.

Master Ghaleon
06-22-2003, 04:18 AM
Well I've been a Cook/Dishwasher for almost 10 years at my resturant. Dishwasher to start off for 4 years then turned into a cook from then on. I didnt goto college, no need to from the money I am making. There was no need to go spend all that money for nothing really. Ill prolly continue on cooking til I retire.

Daarkseid
06-22-2003, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Trevelyan_06
Not because I want to harass teens, or because I want to be this big powerful whatever.

Harrassing those punk kids is precisely why I'd want to be a police officer. That and clubbing protestors with batons. Oh and of course pulling over people simply because they're black, and if they express any outrage, I'd shoot them and claim self defense.

Verman
06-22-2003, 08:47 AM
Bwahahaha daarkseid...

Anyhow I am a computer programmer, I gots two diplomas in it. I fucking hate it.. Drives me bonkers...I am going to go into the security shit in life I think because I fucking love it...

What I'm going ot do is try for a job in the RCMP...As a cyber-cop or something to that effect...I have the build and the knowledge so eh, why not ;) Oh yes and im arrogant like 99% of cops too! so i'll fit in!

Sub-Zero
06-22-2003, 10:35 AM
I am studying to get a job somewhere in the field of electronics engineering.....my dream job would be to get hired by Intel, that would just be sweet. I have one year down and two to go. I go all year around so i can get my bachelors degree before im 21. :)

TedHead
06-22-2003, 12:36 PM
I can't decide what to do and I just finished my grade 9 year.

It's pretty much something between music, acting, or computer stuff. I'm good at all of them, but to put them in order from best to worst, it would probably be acting, computers, and music. I'm quite good at computers and acting though.

However, it seems everytime I'm straying towards computer stuff, acting sucks me back in. I've been in a billion school plays and I have one of the top drama marks in my Performing Arts class. Maybe it's fate...?

Rijuhn
06-22-2003, 10:22 PM
As it stands I want to get into something with digital art. In fact my dad ordered an Intuos2 for me two days ago. I should recieve it from UPS around July 10th or so. I've always wanted a graphics tablet and now that I'm getting one I hope that I can finally pursue my career as a graphic artist/digital artist. So many I can be the one doing the graphics for video games. Right now though I'm more concerned with getting a job and finally being 18 so I can go to clubs and hang out with... GIRLS! Sadly and truely I've never been close to any girl. I've tried, but I always realize a little while after I've "hooked up" with someone that they are truely bad people to be around. So this summer is the deciding factor.

I might just get a general deploma if I can't fully decide on being a graphic artist, but only time will tell.

MANDRAG GANON
06-22-2003, 10:41 PM
I'm going to be an animator. Animator of what? heh you'll never know. Lets just say lots of people will beliving who weren't before...uh....oh shit...I wasn't suppo....yeah never mind this post, you'll know what I mean when I take over the wor.....shit....maybe I should just stop talking now.

I'm going to animate cartoons and such....

Trevelyan_06
06-22-2003, 11:36 PM
It sounds like some people have made a step towards their careers. Personally I have made the first step. Right now I am a Police Explorer which is really suppose to be just like a boy scouts thing. However, my town's explorer post is awesome because since a lot of the explorers are 18 or 19 we are really more like a voluneterr police force than anything else. I mean we don't drive cars or issue tickets, but we do get to ride along with the police officers and help them out a lot.

Dracula
06-22-2003, 11:58 PM
Hmmm... I dunno what I wanna do... I do so many things right now at age 15... Computer shit, animation, graphic design, welding and castings, mechanic, blah blah blah... I still have time to decide...

TedHead
06-23-2003, 08:15 AM
Oh yeah, that reminds me.

I really really enjoy making websites, and even more so with graphic design. Two more career options? :D

Pablo
06-23-2003, 12:02 PM
I've got my heart pretty much set on computer art/graphics design, that seems to be where my passion is.

However, in the meantime I'm going to look into delivering pizzas for the restaurant my dad works at :) That sounds like an interesting job, and it'll help me learn my way around Chicago.