PDA

View Full Version : Metroid Classic Shut Down!!

cbmeeks
06-17-2003, 11:39 AM
Those DMCA b*stards have shut me down! Well, at least my images...someone ratted me out...lol

Looks like I may be spending more time here.

Anyone familiar with them? Know of anyone that has been shut down by them?

AGN, want to host my forums and site?? hehehe

cbmeeks

metroidclassic.com

Dart Zaidyer
06-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Unless you were charging money for something metroid-related, (or someone told them you were, it doesn't matter which) they should have had no right at all to do that.

I've heard of this scenario before, and it's usually the fault of some angry AOL 12-year-old who you either pissed off or was just passing by and panicked. They do that too.

Oh, and it's extra easy for someone to mistake MC as a ROM distribution site, given the content and all. After reading the letter it's most likely the case.

Tsukuru
06-17-2003, 01:35 PM
From the letter
The information transmitted in this Notice is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, reproduction, retransmission, dissemination ... of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

LOL, letter posted on the front page.

This action by the IDSA is totally unbased. It doesn't seem like they even bothered to take a good look at the site. It had no ads and made absolutely no profit whatsoever. If this is how they treat the millions of people who loyally support their games and products, then Nintendo will not last much longer.

cbmeeks
06-17-2003, 01:51 PM
lol...yeah, front page.

I think someone turned me in. I mean afterall, there are much bigger fan sites out there than me. Like Zelda Classic (oops..lol) and MDB and more.

cb

vegeta1215
06-17-2003, 02:23 PM
Man, that really really sucks. From the letter on the page it sounds like they thought you were hosting ROMs. If I were you, I'd just try to find another host and keep on going, or at least keep everyone aware of your progress on your forums and then release versions in the future.

Dracula
06-17-2003, 02:30 PM
Definatly, someone turned you in... We've had some members trying to get us into trouble in the past, with Zelda Classic and all... It's hard to please some people, yah know? It's one thing to have ROMs, but it's completely different to have a CLONE...

TheGeepster
06-17-2003, 04:59 PM
I agree. In a sense, clones such as ZC and MC may be based off of fairly old games, but it is also, in a sense, an original project in that the game is recreated from sccratch, and not from a ROM image. In short, the programmers are going through the same general process that the original programmers did.

And there is also the fact that the original game is no longer in production, which means producing and distributing the clone won't result in any significant loss of sales for the original company (Nintendo in this case)

It is also key that nobody is making any profits off of any copyrighted characters or series, because no money is changing hands. It is all a labor of love.

Bummer, man.

linkofzelda1
06-18-2003, 12:34 AM
Damn*t!:angry: I had been following MC since it started. I'm really sorry cb, i hope you can work out some kind of agreement with nintendo. I want to see this project finished too! :D

Blonde799
06-18-2003, 01:54 AM
I'm surprised you still managed to keep this thing going, after a very long time.:p I wonder if GBHO will ever finish their project?:shrug:

AlexMax
06-18-2003, 08:33 AM

WHAT THE FUCK!!?!?!?!

They don't even read your fucking site, they just slap one of their automatic warnings that probably took them a whole two seconds to upload from their database of prefabricated legal notices...

This is why I hate the IDSA. They are so hell bent on getting ahold of ROM distributors that they just step on everyone else in the process. Fuck them...

Gerudo
06-18-2003, 08:53 AM
/me decides to send a nice letter to the nice people who nicely shut down this nice site...

:meanie:

edit:

reading that, apparently it says 'making reference to' is "infringing on copyright"...

omg 9_9

edit2:

The information transmitted in this Notice is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, reproduction, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. maybe i wont :eyebrow:

jman2050
06-18-2003, 09:54 AM
Crap, that sucks. As far as I see it you have two options: start again with another web host, or have your project hosted at either here, Gaming Universe, or some other fan game site. I really don't want to see this project go to waste, I've admired your efforts and they have, in a way, spurred me to kee my similar project alive. Maybe this time you could call it Metroid Classic but remove any pictures or references to the metroid name. Then when it comes out, also include a Metroid tileset to download. It's your original code, and the only 'Metroid' thing about it is the tileset, so the DMCA couldn't touch you even if they wanted to. And if they do, oyu can sue them :p

And yes, I'm the one working on metroid Revival, and yes, I'm still working on it (granted very slowly. I have a ZC quest in focus right now, although as it stands I'm having trouble getting either o these projects done at a steady pace :( )

J.J. Maxx
06-18-2003, 10:35 AM
I say screw-em. Move your site and continue... I'm sure they have better things to waste their time on..

Lone Wolf
06-18-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Dart_Zader
Unless you were charging money for something metroid-related, (or someone told them you were, it doesn't matter which) they should have had no right at all to do that.

I've heard of this scenario before, and it's usually the fault of some angry AOL 12-year-old who you either pissed off or was just passing by and panicked. They do that too.

Oh, and it's extra easy for someone to mistake MC as a ROM distribution site, given the content and all. After reading the letter it's most likely the case.

How old are you again? :eyebrow: :tongue: :D

Flash Man
06-18-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Blonde799
I wonder if GBHO will ever finish their project?:shrug:
They're pretty lazy, if I see them on AIM, they almost always away. Although they did move fairly quickly in the beginning. Still need to use my ideas for the game though. Who knows why you would use the mouse for a metroid game to aim, or at least make it so you have a choice.

Zeo
06-18-2003, 01:58 PM
Actaully I was supposed to start helping get GBHO going again, but I haven't seen eikon on in a whjile.........

I'll keep trying.

Like Jman said to, Agn, GU, Cpatain N, www.IhatetheISDADMCA.com what ever, Keep Metriod Classic going no matter where it ends up.

I know AGN and GUs doors are always open................

Tsukuru
06-18-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by AlexMax

WHAT THE FUCK!!?!?!?!

They don't even read your fucking site, they just slap one of their automatic warnings that probably took them a whole two seconds to upload from their database of prefabricated legal notices...

This is why I hate the IDSA. They are so hell bent on getting ahold of ROM distributors that they just step on everyone else in the process. Fuck them...

It's very much like a copyright dictatorship akin to the patterns of Saddam's regime. If there was a spy on the fifth floor, they'd waste every single person on that floor. The IDSA doesn't care if they're stomping out legitimate fansites that actually support and help sales of Nintendo's products, just as long as they can show they are making "progress".