PDA

View Full Version : ZeldaClassic for Linux/Mac OSX

JayroNC
06-15-2003, 03:57 PM
First off, I dont want this to turn into a mac vs. pc flame match.

On the www.zeldaclassic.com website it says that a mac/linux version may come out. Now that OSX is based on Unix, shouldn't it be relatively easy to port this bit of software to all of those platforms - Mac OSX, Unix/Linux. (that is, if the code doesnt rely entirely on proprietary technology that is only available to the windows crowd.) from what Ive read, OpenGL takes care of alot of the "hitches" that used to exist in porting game-type programs. moreover, the videocards that drive the newer mac systems (Mac OS 10.0-10.2) are mainly nVidia and ATI. its not like there is a lot of different hardware configurations to test, at least on the mac side, and the Linux crowd genereally takes care of themselves as far as drivers and testing and such.

Im interested in getting involved with making this happen. Anybody else out there on Linux or Mac who wants to help do this, or would at least like to see it happen?

yugioh
06-17-2003, 01:37 PM
thats cool.:computer:

Tsukuru
06-17-2003, 02:06 PM
Definitely. While a Linux/Mac port would probably take some time, it wouldn't be hard to do. The problem I think is time, and DN must be completely busy with life on top of coding ZC for us.

Yugioh, you're blatantly spam posting. I'm going to let you know before you think it's ok that people on AGN won't like you for that. You still have time clean up before you're banned and lose interest in AGN. And yes, I know I'm condescending. :)

Thad_X_Boyd
06-17-2003, 06:30 PM
This is, of course, not a totally fresh issue; there's been talk of a Unix/Linux port for years now. As a Linux user, I'd personally love to see one; I got ZC running under Wine at one point, but not very well (MIDIs wouldn't work, MODs sounded horrible), and it doesn't work at all with my current versions of WINE or WINEX. (That is to say, the game comes up, but the keyboard doesn't work.)

I'd say the best way to handle this would be try and find somebody who knows Linux and OSX (or two somebodies, one for each) and take them on as porters. Zelda's a popular enough game that this shouldn't take much effort; frankly I think one post at Slashdot, for example, would result in more applicants than anyone would know what to do with.

Not that I'm recommending anyone post to /., mind; I don't even know if the AG servers could handle the Slashdot Effect, and anyway, this is the developers' decision, so for God's sake don't just go running to Slashdot just because I mentioned it. My point isn't "post to Slashdot", it's "see about finding some *nix coders who want to deal with the project." And again, this is a suggestion to the DEVELOPERS, so if you're not a developer, don't go trying to "help" by acting on my suggestion.

Finally, of course, is that if any developer DOES think this is a good idea, he should be sure to unambiguously state to anyone coming on that this is a closed-source, proprietary piece of software. Many *nix users are perfectly all right with this sort of thing, but there are also quite a few who think that all software (and especially all software on Linux) should be open-source and will not want to contribute to a closed-source project.

Just thinking out loud -- hope my suggestions are some help. And I'd offer to volunteer for a Linux port myself if I thought I had the time or skill.