PDA

View Full Version : Forget the blue mooons, I'm talking orange moons!

obi
06-15-2003, 05:18 AM
There was an orange moon out last night. I havent seen one of these things in ages and I'm curious to why it was orange all of a sudden. Does anyone know?

Master Ghaleon
06-15-2003, 05:40 AM
I dunno man, but ive seen 2 in my life. One back in 97 at the beach and the other one was more reddish color in 94. Its freaky

slothman
06-15-2003, 06:24 AM
I think it's dust in the air or something. I once say a blue moon that was orange. Of course I also saw, though everybody probably did, a 2 full moons on fri-13th's in Feb and Mar.

Rijuhn
06-15-2003, 10:52 PM
It's called a harvest moon when it is low to the horizon, is real big (not 30% of the sky big, but you know what I mean) and yellowish to reddish orange. I don't know what causes it, but I think it has something to do with the last fleeting rays of the sun curving around the atmosphere and hitting the moon to give it an evening glow.

Dracula
06-15-2003, 11:17 PM
You know how a sunset seems to have that eerie orange color... The same goes for the moon when it's near the horizon... It's really neat to see, but I get them all the time... Try to think once a month, and at least 5 times a month in the fall... Sometimes, it can seem to be blood-red... sweeet...

Tsukuru
06-15-2003, 11:42 PM
I believe it's because when the moon is at a low angle to your position, the light traveling from it to you goes through much more atmosphere, scattering the light rays more than normal and distorting the colors.

Rijuhn
06-15-2003, 11:49 PM
That's what I was trying to say Tsukuru! I just didn't know how to say it in a more scientific manner because it's late and I can't think very scientific, and I just don't feel like being smart right now.