PDA

View Full Version : Question on layering.......again....

Knil
06-13-2003, 10:01 PM
I greatly enjoy the graphics abilities gained with layering, but its tiresome for me to set the layers, and try to remember what layer im using.....i was just wonderin if anyone has found simple ways to use layers that dont drop graphical value, but is quicker. or even if they just want to share what/how they use layers....

Ganonator
06-14-2003, 01:06 AM
Only use layers that you need.

Almost every good overworld screen is going to use 2 layers - the base or '0' layer, and the overhead stuff for trees, which is all on layer 3. No more is really required.

Almost every dungeon screen is going to use 2 layers as well - the base or '0' layer, and the fringes, i.e. the overlay tiles that go around to complete the screen. Also, when using inf-push blocks, stuff like that.

I also see the layer option as 'above' the other windows, so I don't have to PgDn a bunch and then back up to see it.

The only real other trick I can tell you is use auto-layers, and be creative.

Knil
06-15-2003, 09:54 PM
Thank you, but how do i use auto layers?

Tsukuru
06-15-2003, 10:47 PM
One thing I do to keep track of layers, on the overworld at least, is to have two maps: one for the actual overworld map and another for the second layer on each of your screens. The screens on the actual map and the layer map correspond, so all you have to do is press , or . to switch between them.

You can do what I just described above with autolayers. Say you have two corresponding maps, one is the actual map and the other is the layer map. Go to the layer window and click the *. You can set which map to set all the layers over.

Questwizard88
06-15-2003, 10:51 PM
go to the layers dialog box on any screen of the map you want to use auto layers on. set up a normal set of the layered screens youre gonna use on one of the screens you have made, and then press the button with the * on it. for each layer you are going to be using on the map. once the little dialog box comes up when you press the * button, enter the map where the screens that are to be ued as layers are at. do that for each layer you need to use. but be warned, it can seem to have a few pretty nasty effects though.

Knil
06-16-2003, 02:29 AM
cool guys. domo adigato gozaimas....(thanx for the jap denied)

Yoshiman
06-16-2003, 03:01 PM
Uhh. I used the * button, and I can't get it undone! How do I get rid of it?

Questwizard88
06-16-2003, 03:34 PM
ummm... it has NO undo in beta 182 except for manually removing the layers yourself or deletin the whole map and startin it over.