06-13-2003, 01:17 AM
http://pub30.ezboard.com/fagetecfrm20.showMessage?topicID=250.topic

From the looks of it, we'll be getting a lot more than what we paid for.:p

Matteo
06-13-2003, 02:35 AM
Yeah it looks pretty amazing... the latter half of 2003 games are exciting me

Blonde799
06-13-2003, 03:13 AM
I'm especially excited about the advanced tinkering with the game. I'm sure everyone wants to recreate the limit break system of FFVII.:p

bigjoe
06-13-2003, 01:34 PM
The HP limits look annoying though. Plus im more of a fan of 2d rpgs.

Matteo
06-13-2003, 02:53 PM
well if you start out by hitting monsters with 100 damage in games like FF whats the difference?

Blonde799
06-13-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by BigJoe
The HP limits look annoying though.
HP limits for both characters and monsters can be bypassed.:)

Jawa Podracer
06-14-2003, 08:08 PM
If it's anything like RPG Maker 2000, just set HP to the max, and have an in-game event add to max HP. Same ges for any Level Limits.

Still, I think RPG Maker 2003 is going to be better, just like RPG Maker 2000 was better than RPG Maker(PSX).

Blonde799
06-15-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Jawa Podracer
Still, I think RPG Maker 2003 is going to be better, just like RPG Maker 2000 was better than RPG Maker(PSX).
Aside from a default ATB system(which was already possible in 2K), there aren't very many improvements over 2000.

redmage777
06-15-2003, 06:46 PM
Check out RPGDS:

http://www.crypticdesigns.com

It seem to be making ALOT of promises, but seems as though it would be complex. That is most likely a good thing though, I'd gladly trade ease of use for total freedom anyday.

Blonde799
06-15-2003, 07:41 PM
I don't touch PC makers. Why you ask? I don't care about "total freedom". I play my console much more than with my PC, so getting a console RPG maker would be the best choice. Plus, RPGDS is a PC program, so I have to deal with numerous bugs, patches, newer versions, and an almost nonexistant release date(those who've been with that program since it appeared over two years ago knows what I mean).

And total freedom comes with a price. You know as well as I do, that not too many people aren't making good use of those kinds of makers, because, it's not that easy to use(and the lack of documented help makes the program even worse). I know a great deal about RPG Maker 2(more than what the link suggests), and I know that even if I mastered the previous one, it's going to take a long time to get used to this one. Plus, 3D graphics are a +, with camera control and the like. I can't wait to make a stealth bomber, or those islands that look almost lifelike.:)

Questwizard88
06-15-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Blonde799

Aside from a default ATB system(which was already possible in 2K), there aren't very many improvements over 2000.

i also noticed that. although it has some new stuff like battle weapon animations and things like that, it really seems like they just added a couple things that 2000 didnt have in it.

NeoPuff
06-16-2003, 07:40 AM
Yay, RPG maker 2's current release date is 7 October 2003! *Does a happy dance* :D

I hope it will be better than RPG maker 2003.

TedHead
06-18-2003, 12:02 PM
I think we are missing a huge improvement from 2000 to 2003.

NEW BATTLE SYSTEM!

Auuugh I hate the 2000 battle system. It's so dumb! This new one is awesome! I love the side view! It's more like Final Fantasy now.

Jawa Podracer
06-18-2003, 05:40 PM
Ha! RPGDS is laughable. It's much harder and annoying to use than RM2K. Also, it sucks really bad. Making a crappy RPG maker is one thing: But claiming it's better then the almighty RPG Maker series is another.

Yeah, there are more DBZ RM2K games than the population of China. And I haven't found one decent one in my 3-4 years of RM2King. Even with the million of craptacular games, there are many hidden gems that kick major ass(In the Name of the Rose, A Blurred Line, Legion Saga 1-3, and more).

With the PS1/PS2 RPG Maker's you're going to use the PS2 version of a DexDrive to send your games over the net. It's a LOT easier and cheaper with RM2K, with it both a good and bad thing. Plus, can you imagine typing with no keyboard on the PS2? There's a PS2 keyboard in Japan I thin, but I don't think there's a PS2 one in the US.

Blonde799
06-18-2003, 07:42 PM
Yes, there is such a keyboard.;)
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=801498

Originally posted by TedHead
I think we are missing a huge improvement from 2000 to 2003.

NEW BATTLE SYSTEM!

That's not an improvement. It was already possible using 2K. The most noticeable (and maybe only) improvements, are the ability to have two timers, and an increased pic limit. As for a legal english release, don't count on it. You can thank the pirates this time.

Jawa Podracer
06-18-2003, 08:33 PM
Actually:

-More buttons!

-Yes, that battle system was possible, but it was also a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ASS!(I should know: I did it once)

-Graphics aren't everything. Does Street Fighter, Final Fantasy 6, Pokemon, StarCraft, Harvest Moon, and Doom have awesome graphics? No. Does it have awesome gameplay? In my opinion, yes. Gameplay > Graphics, just like Quality > Quantity.

- I, myself, prefer 2d to 3d.

-Are there custom CharSets, Battle animations, monsters, ChipSets, and a very deep event system in RPG Maker 2? I doubt it. With a GameShark, it may be possible, but ytou know how hard it wuld to create a 3d graphic model, then import it? RM2k/RM2K3 is much easier to import, and much more user-friendly.

-You can have very large quests that all depend on your harddrive. You can have a 100 GB game(though that would be damn near impossible to make a game of that size), but the biggest you can have for RM 2 is 8 mb(I believe that's the size of a PS2 mem. card).

-It's much easier to use a keyboard/mouse on a computer. Also, you don't have to buy an extra mouse/keyboard to play only 1-2 games.

So, in my opinion, RM2K3 > RM2. Go RM2K3!

TedHead
06-18-2003, 09:31 PM
The whole concept of saving an entire RPG to your PS2 memory card with all the default tiles and stuff just somehow sounds stupid to me.

Why would you want an RPG on your memory card for Playstation?

Go computer! No file size restrictions, no graphic restrictions (make your own, go download), no music restrictions, easy keyboard and mouse, it's all good. Who really cares whether it's in 3d, i agree.

Blonde799
06-18-2003, 10:33 PM
-More buttons!
This doesn't make any game better than another. I'd rather have about 10 anyway.:)

-Graphics aren't everything. Does Street Fighter, Final Fantasy 6, Pokemon, StarCraft, Harvest Moon, and Doom have awesome graphics? No. Does it have awesome gameplay? In my opinion, yes. Gameplay > Graphics, just like Quality > Quantity.!
Of course, graphics aren't everything. That doesn't mean the game is hindered by such graphics. The possibilities in this game, despite the 3D graphics, are unimaginable.

-Are there custom CharSets, Battle animations, monsters, ChipSets, and a very deep event system in RPG Maker 2? I doubt it. With a GameShark, it may be possible, but ytou know how hard it wuld to create a 3d graphic model, then import it? RM2k/RM2K3 is much easier to import, and much more user-friendly.!
Yes, there is a deep event system. The monster editor also has a slight animation editor. And you don't create 3D models. You use images as textures, and the pics can also be manipulated in game.

-You can have very large quests that all depend on your harddrive. You can have a 100 GB game(though that would be damn near impossible to make a game of that size), but the biggest you can have for RM 2 is 8 mb(I believe that's the size of a PS2 mem. card)
No one isn't going to make a 100 GB RPG. And if someone does, 1)it won't be good and 2)a lot of people won't be able to play it, due to its large size. And yes, you can create large RPGs, since you're using pre-made content.

-It's much easier to use a keyboard/mouse on a computer. Also, you don't have to buy an extra mouse/keyboard to play only 1-2 games.
Yes, a keyboard/mouse is good for a computer, just like a pad is for a console.:shrug: And considering how much you need to buy a good computer, a console/keyboard combo is a great deal.:shrug:

The whole concept of saving an entire RPG to your PS2 memory card with all the default tiles and stuff just somehow sounds stupid to me.

You'd feel differently if you knew how customizable the tiles actually were.;)

Why would you want an RPG on your memory card for Playstation?
Well, to carry around silly. I don't see the use in carryng around a 10 pound HD everywhere you go.
:rolleyes:

Go computer! No file size restrictions, no graphic restrictions (make your own, go download), no music restrictions, easy keyboard and mouse, it's all good.
Well, you can make tunes in RPG maker 2, you don't need to be a pro composer. The only graphic restrictions are outside importability. But, it's not like you're limited to just a preset amount of characters(even then, you have 100+ to use). You can also have different faces, colors(not premade ones), etc. And like I said before, it's not like someone is going to make a 100 GB RPG anyway.

You're the only Java, who made some valid points. But, it's not like this RPG maker will be the one before it, just with 3D graphics. Trust me, if you knew what I did(and a lot other importing fans), you'd agree with me and say that RPG Maker 2 is basically RPG Maker 2000 with 3D graphics, sans HD access. I'm not going to say one is better than the other, but both games have what the other one doesn't. Once I get the game, I'll make an impressions post, and tell everyone who thinks it's bad what kind of crow they should be eating.:laughing:

TedHead
06-18-2003, 10:56 PM
Instead of carrying around 8MB in a memory card, you could always do a spanned zip file over a few disks. Better yet, put it on CD. Or maybe put about 100 RPG maker games on a cd!

That music composition thing sounds cool. I would rather just go to www.vgmusic.com though and get my favorite tunes from Chrono Trigger ;)

Blonde799
06-19-2003, 12:24 AM
To tell you the truth, I think this will be an amazing game. Almost every limitation would be able to worked around, unlike the first one.:)