PDA

View Full Version : Interesting details about DDR UltraMix (Xbox version)

Thunderbird
06-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Yeah, it was confirmed at E3 ;).

The UltraMix producer has been posting on the DDRFreak boards, so some of you may know these details already.

It looks like the game plans to make use of Xbox Live to allow players to compete against one another, download new songs (for an extra fee of course) and possibly other features (for their sake, they better allow trading edits). Also, one of my favorite DDR modes, Challenge Mode, has been confirmed for the game.

For those not familiar with Challenge Mode, the game asks you to complete specific objectives to "pass" a challenge. 4th Mix and Extra Mix (Japanese versions) had 50 challenges each, split into 5 sets of 10 challenges. You had to pass all 10 challenges in one set before moving on to the next. The sets got harder as you continued on. Some examples from Extra Mix:

Trick #5:
Song is Temple of Love by E-Rotic (playing Trick 4-Panel)
Objective is to finish with the dance meter between 75% and 25%.
You are not allowed to get more than 4 Boos/Misses in a row.
The dance meter starts at 50%.
The catch? The dance meter automatically rises as the song goes on (it's continuous). I got 20/31/0/0/135 (that's Perfect/Great/Good/Boo/Miss).

Trick #7:
Song is Together & Forever by Captain Jack
Objective is to full combo measures 1-15 of the Maniac 4-Panel steps.
Sounds easy? Well, how about with your controls reversed? ;)

Trick #10
Song is Sexy Planet (a Konami Original) on Maniac 4-Panel
Simply full combo the steps.
Again, there's a catch. The arrows are constantly changing speed throughout the song (making it hell on earth to sight read).

I'm quite curious to see what Konami is going to come up with in regards for challenges on the Xbox version. I think Xbox owners are lucky for getting a mode that's not been seen in the US yet (not even MAX2 has it confirmed).

Pink_Demon
06-09-2003, 10:43 PM
Downloading new songs sounds great, but going against someone over X-box live doesn't sound that fun. Usualy you are too busy looking at your side of the screen to see if thier doing something impressive, besides, you would only see their steps, not actualy see them move around the pad... they could ace songs with a controller and you think they are alot more than they are.

Thunderbird
06-09-2003, 10:45 PM
Xbox controllers identify themselves, from what I've heard. Also, all of the DDR games have a Controller option. The game could offer "pad" games and "controller" games, joining a pad game would automatically switch the controller setting off (making the buttons on the side inoperable and forcing you to use the D-pad, which is quite difficult, especially with jumps involved).

But yeah, competing online isn't something I'd consider fun for this type of game. Whenever I do any competition for DDR, it's at an arcade where I can see my opponents (and get my ass kicked by them ;)).

Pink_Demon
06-09-2003, 10:52 PM
Same here, i lose alot more than i should...

But both Challenge mode and the ability to download more songs seem to add more playtime into what is already the Most addicting game i've ever played! :drool:

Thunderbird
06-09-2003, 11:08 PM
Oh, I imagine Challenge Mode is going to increase anyone's playtime, especially for those who aren't used to it :). I like some of the tricks that 4th Mix and Extra Mix pull (how about playing one song's steps while hearing another song? ;))

AlexMax
06-09-2003, 11:39 PM
Sex planet?

Anyway, sounds awesome.

Thunderbird
06-09-2003, 11:47 PM
Oops, that would be Sexy Planet :P. First time I managed to miss that typo.