PDA

View Full Version : What operating system does the Matrix use?

stormwatcheagle
06-09-2003, 08:19 PM
I was sitting in class when the question popped up. I mean, the Maxrix has to move a lot of files and make a lot of complex computations. I think it would use some sort of new robot made program.

Tygore
06-09-2003, 08:32 PM
That's how Neo will destroy the Matrix: He'll install windows.

Masamune
06-09-2003, 08:52 PM
why does it have to be on an OS? maybe it made it's own OS. perhaps the matrix itself is an OS. :shrug:

Jemsee
06-09-2003, 09:37 PM
Maybe it is a Positronic type machine, a living machine that thinks planns and acts on its own.
Based on the humans it feeds on there is no name given to the OS.
Maybe that architect guy was the OS.
Or maybe it means Own your Soul. (ooooOOOOoooooOOOOoooo)

Rijuhn
06-09-2003, 10:25 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure it's not a M$ OS of any sort. Maybe Linux, considering it's power and stability.

mikeron
06-09-2003, 10:37 PM
Definitely Unix. In the world of dorks, I imagine hacker robots would be pretty high on the list.

TheGeepster
06-09-2003, 10:49 PM
I dunno which OS. That'd be a good question to ask... [SPOILER ALERT AND DRUM ROLL]

The Architect!

Dracula
06-10-2003, 01:47 AM
This reminds me, of when the question popped up in my head... What would happen if the blue screen of death popped up in the Matrix?

Ganonator
06-10-2003, 02:39 AM
I was originally going to say there is no OS, but then i realized there were 'programs' in the Matrix who were programming things like cake. SOOOO.. it's going to be something with a directX type functioning, with the hardware being the brains of the people it's engulfing.

OS? Human Mind 2. The original HM system didn't work, remember?

Dart Zaidyer
06-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Dracula
This reminds me, of when the question popped up in my head... What would happen if the blue screen of death popped up in the Matrix?

I assume it would actually cause people to die.

Tygore
06-10-2003, 12:43 PM
It can't be Linux- otherwise, all Neo would have to do is edit the open source code.

Pablo
06-10-2003, 03:58 PM
I belive the Matrix runs DOS or...*drum roll* Windows 98!!!!! Cause only Windows can be as evil as the machines.

And that reminds me - during the movie, I kept on getting reminded of my Program Files folder. I mean, instead of "WarCraft 3" and "Photoshop 7", I don't see why the Matrix wouldn't just have folders like "Food" and "Birds". When someone dies, they're simply moved to the Recycle Bin. And (minor spoiler) wouldn't that mean Smith just figured out how to push Control-C?

...I probably could have explained it better, but there ya go.

TheGeepster
06-10-2003, 06:26 PM
I think the Matrix might be one of those ditributed computing OS's. Wouldn't that be cool? 100,000,000 networked biological computers not only running the same OS, but running the same INSTANCE of the OS...

SquishyMon
06-11-2003, 12:59 AM
The matrix uses its own OS, and Windows ME is much more evil than 98.

TheGeepster
06-11-2003, 07:19 AM
What's that? Windows Matrix Edition (Version 6.0)?

Pablo
06-12-2003, 12:05 AM
ME is superior in the evil department, yes. But wouldn't the machines want an OS that could last more than 10 minutes without crashing?

AlexMax
06-12-2003, 12:28 AM
Actually, the humans use Unix/Linux to hack into the matrix (Scene with Trinity hacking into the matrix in Matrix Reloaded proves it...I think...) and I have a suspicion that the matrix uses linux too...I dont know the deatils...god damnit I'm trying to google it but it's not coming up with anything....

mikeron
06-12-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by AlexMax
Actually, the humans use Unix/Linux to hack into the matrix (Scene with Trinity hacking into the matrix in Matrix Reloaded proves it...I think...) and I have a suspicion that the matrix uses linux too...I dont know the deatils...god damnit I'm trying to google it but it's not coming up with anything.... Actually, I think she was hacking into the powerstation controls. You hack the Matrix by being in it. As for the code of the Matrix, that's a whole nother story.

Ian
06-12-2003, 02:22 PM
I'm guessing it uses an advanced version of DOS, called MTDOS