PDA

View Full Version : Los Costa Notra

Trevelyan_06
06-08-2003, 08:49 PM
I'm a new user on this forum and it seems like this section is the place to discuss just about anything, if I'm wrong somebody please stop me.

Anyways, the whole point of this thread is to see how much people know about the orginal mafia, the Italian Mafia. I've always been much interested in this subject and was just wondering what everyone thought about it. And please try to keep the Godfather quotes to a minium.

plith
06-08-2003, 09:02 PM
I know next to nothing about mafias. It works out for both of us.

slothman
06-08-2003, 09:15 PM
All I know is that MAFIA is a acronym(sp) that means something like Death to French from Italy" or something like that.

bigjoe
06-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by slothman
All I know is that MAFIA is a acronym(sp) that means something like Death to French from Italy" or something like that.

I shall accept this as nothing more than a completely baseless rumor until you find proof of your claims.

theplustwo
06-08-2003, 09:32 PM
everything i know about the mafia i learned from the smashmouth song 'padrino'

Trevelyan_06
06-08-2003, 09:43 PM
Actually Mafia is not an acromyn for anything. It is a SICILIAN, not Italian, word. Many people don't realize that the Mafia really come from Sicily and not Italy, in fact your consigliere or counselor had to be Sicilan Anyways the word actually means something along the lines of "Family".

carrot red
06-08-2003, 09:55 PM
Aside from the fact that you spelt it all wrong, I don't know much about the mafia either.
It's "La Cosa Nostra" and it means Our Cause.

Jigglysaint
06-08-2003, 10:20 PM
I spell Mafia "S-e-c-r-e-t C-o-m-b-i-n-a-t-i-o-n"

Maybe I've been hitting the Ether too much(inside joke).

plith
06-08-2003, 10:25 PM
You spelt combination wrong.

slothman
06-08-2003, 10:52 PM
I "googled" tm and found several entomoligies. Basically people aren't exactly sure where the word comes from. It could be what I said or just an actual word.
BTW Sicily is in Italy.
Some freindly URLS:
http://www.ex.ac.uk/politics/pol_data/undergrad/Neilson/define.html
http://www.word-detective.com/042601.html

Pablo
06-08-2003, 11:41 PM
Mafia...oh, the Mafia...

Play GTA3 and you'll figure out a whole lot more than you'd expect.

What I learned:

Mafioso mothers are brutal.

There's always time for pasta.

Everybody loves shotguns!

Backstabbing is encouraged.

Old people are evil.

You aren't a man until your mother says you are.