PDA

View Full Version : Downloading problem

sjbg911
06-08-2003, 06:02 PM
O.K. how many of us have spent a while downloading something and then they go to use it, and in the winzip/winace/winrar and it says that the file is corrupt, doesnt that suck. Why does that happen?

Is there anyway that you get the file to work without downloading it all over again, isnt there a program that you can go back and download the part your missing.

Cuz I spent 2 days downloading a game in a winzip file, and I go to open it and it says that the file is corrupt.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Master Ghaleon
06-08-2003, 06:28 PM
That sucks man. I hate to tell you this but I doubt there is anyway to fix it. Try downloading it there again and if the same thing happens then try downloading it somewhere else.

sjbg911
06-09-2003, 10:36 PM
Yeh but it took 2 days to download

vegeta1215
06-09-2003, 11:59 PM
What are you using to download?

Several browsers such as Mozilla and Opera have built in download managers that let you stop and resume your transfers, which is really handy. Also, there are programs that go even further and connect to the site multiple times to download files, which makes for much faster download speeds. One is called Download Accelerator, it's for Windows.

The only thing I can think of to verify a file's integrity is to get the md5sum of it. If you download a cd iso, like for Linux or something, they always provide the md5sum so you can test to see if you're download was complete and not messed up. But, most sites don't provide those for regular files. I'd just suggest using something different to download your stuff and see if your files are any better. (also make sure your Winzip or whatever is up to date. btw, for opening compressed files on Windows, I suggest Power Archiver)

slef
06-10-2003, 12:00 AM
if that doesnt work then the sooner you start the sooner youll finish

fatcatfan
06-10-2003, 12:14 AM
PARity files. Nice things. But without knowing how you are downloading (web, ftp, newsgroup, DCC, KaZaa, etc) I can't suggest a particular method...

inori
06-10-2003, 04:32 AM
Well, you could always try getting a faster internet connection... On the net, as in life, you get what you pay for. :shrug:

Dracula
06-11-2003, 02:37 PM
For me, downloading on Winzip fora long time (like, let's say, 8 hours) as soon as I open it, it gets that message... So, for me, it depends on how long the download is, since who knows what random thing your computer could do in 8 hours (or in your case, 2 days...ouch)... So any bigass file I need, I use KaZaA... That's my only suggestion... :shrug:

SquishyMon
06-11-2003, 02:40 PM
You should definately get broadband if it's available in you area, or have a friend who does.

AtmaWeapon
06-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Data errors occur in files, especially when downloading over slow analog connections. If there is a small spike in the line, or you get the call waiting beep, then that changes a few of the bits around and your download is screwed. Batch downloaders help because you can download smaller bits faster, but if you are using 56k, downloads that take a few hours are risky. I had this problem a LOT when downloading stuff on my 56k, and there's no way around it AFAIK.