PDA

View Full Version : Question on size of quest

mjctraider
06-05-2003, 02:29 PM
I am working on a quest and wanted to know how many overworlds (that is having the entire map filled) is too much, I just kind of wanted to get some opinions on what the best number of overworlds to have for a quest. I know it is a matter of personal preference and you can have as many as you want, but I may want to allow others to play my quest once it is complete and didn't want people to be unhappy about the quest being too big.

Blonde799
06-05-2003, 02:55 PM
Only make more than one overworld if it actully has something to do with your quest. Making multiple overworlds is just more work for the quest maker though, so if you want to not release your quest, go right ahead.:pj/k

Pathwalker
06-05-2003, 04:56 PM
As a player and not a builder, I don't care how many overworlds there are. I enjoy the overworlds more than the dungeons and caves. (S)

cccc
06-05-2003, 05:48 PM
Make as meny as you wont in my quest The Legend Of Link: Pursuit Of Vengeance I will have 4.

blckscab
06-07-2003, 08:26 AM
My quest, Space invasion has 2 big, 1 small and 1 average sized overworld. It dosnt realy matter the size or number of them. As long as you dont make them to empty so the player dosnt get bored of walking around boring screen after boring screen.;)

Ganonator
06-07-2003, 04:06 PM
remember - in the original game, there was one 128 screen overworld. Times were good. Secrets were hidden well. As time moved on, take LttP... the overworld was about the same size for the dimensions of it, and just doubled up with little effort to the creators. That's just a thought that I like to take into consideration when making a good quest.

As far as quests I've made, LO had a separated overworld, with about... 200 screens in it. J:R, on the other hand, has a BS-overworld, and one 128 screen overworld.

When developing, do an entire overworld and NONE of the extras, such as warp rings, secrets, minigames. Just make the landsape. This will keep you motivated until you are ready for the next part. I whipped out the 64-screen OW in about 2 days, and looking back to the previous J:R overworld, which only had about 50 of 128 screens done, i knew that I'd never finish it. Now, all I have to do is convince myself that I can make all of my 12 dungeons, and I might be able to finish this damn quest.

redmage777
06-08-2003, 04:02 PM
I plan to to Eight Overworlds in Missing Octive, Each Very Unique, especialy the further into the game you get. For now I'm doing it one overworld at a time and taking a break.

Blonde799
06-08-2003, 04:16 PM
Oof, the multiple overworld craze. I hope you're having one dungeon per overworld, as multiple overworlds with a combined 20+ levels can get a bit boring, even if they are "unique".

You know what? I'd like to know what you plan on making redmage, I'm suddenly interested.;) I'd like to know what tiles you're gonna use, blah blah blah.