PDA

View Full Version : News from NASA: Objects with high velocity can do a lot of damage.

AtmaWeapon
06-05-2003, 11:49 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/05/national/nationalspecial/05SHUT.html?ex=1055390400&en=8eeefffa7dc6a175&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

It amazes me that they are so surprised that even a piece of foam can do a lot of damage at high velocity. It's a simple concept, really. Slow moving car == no problem. Fast moving car == big problem. Same with any object.

TheGeepster
06-05-2003, 12:16 PM
There's just some things which are common sense, but counterintuitive at the same time I spose..

Trunks
06-05-2003, 01:46 PM
goog example of high velocity is durning a tornado a piece of staw from a browm can be slug thought a brick wall. go figure.

stormwatcheagle
06-05-2003, 05:06 PM
The amazing thing is, that the foam could get up to that velocity. That's a lotta force behind that foam.

Gerudo
06-05-2003, 05:16 PM
apparently it DOES take a rocket scientist to figure this kinda thing out...

http://216.40.249.192/s/contrib/Bizkit/sweat.gif

bigjoe
06-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Maybe its some kind of foam weapon. o.o

Dracula
06-05-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Gerudo
apparently it DOES take a rocket scientist to figure this kinda thing out...

http://216.40.249.192/s/contrib/Bizkit/sweat.gif

The sad thing is, that's true...

:cry:

Foxx
06-05-2003, 11:43 PM
Yeah, it's easy for all of YOU to laugh and scoff after an experiment demonstrates the destructive power of high-speed foam and proves something that somehow seems like we should have known it all along. How many of you could have gotten these results right before the fact?

AlexMax
06-05-2003, 11:58 PM
In the immortal words of Gunnery Sargent Hartman...

"Well...

no shit."

DarkDragoonX
06-06-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Foxx
Yeah, it's easy for all of YOU to laugh and scoff after an experiment demonstrates the destructive power of high-speed foam and proves something that somehow seems like we should have known it all along.

Yeap, it sure is. Watch:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Scoff!

You see how easy that is?

inori
06-06-2003, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by BigJoe
Maybe its some kind of foam weapon. o.o

Next, they'll be pulling all those Nerf toys from the shelves. :shrug:

Gerudo
06-06-2003, 08:11 AM
:rofl:

i can see them doing that, unfortunately... im suprised they havent already, with all they make, just guns and shit to shoot people with... violent stuff :blah: /SARCASM

mikeron
06-06-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by stormwatcheagle
The amazing thing is, that the foam could get up to that velocity. That's a lotta force behind that foam. Yeah, 500 mph foam sounds like a pretty cool little novelty. But then you have to realize that it wasn't actually going that fast. That speed is relative to the wing. The rocket was already moving damned fast, and foam is light, so the drag force of the atmosphere would accelerate it pretty easily. As for how they got the foam to move that fast in the simulation, I'd love to see the apparatus they used. Supersonic foam would provide a very interesting impact... :evil:

Aegis Runestone
06-06-2003, 12:09 PM
That's a simple idea, and obivious too. It's been proven with an object known as a 'bullet' which is propelled by a 'gun'. :p [/scarcasm]

Anyways, yeah, it would take a lot of force, but it'd still be a piece of foam, dangerous, but still a piece of foam. :)

Breaker
06-06-2003, 01:07 PM
... Did a single one of you even bother to read the article? It was an experiment to determine the cause of the Challenger explosion. Not just a "test" to see how fast they can get foam moving. -_-

zfreak2004
06-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Trunks
goog example of high velocity is durning a tornado a piece of staw from a browm can be slug thought a brick wall. go figure.

Actually its not puncturing it at all really. Whats happening as that the whatever the straw is bing poked through is expanding so much that the straw can fit into the gap... In fact, forget the straw, I think this happened with a cow once.

TheGeepster
06-07-2003, 04:22 AM
As I said, common sense dictates that fast-flying anything would do damage. But it's not intuitive to think that foam is capable of doing that kind of damage.

And this was a test to figure out what happened to the space shuttle, not merely to see if fast foam would hurt..