PDA

View Full Version : Faux-Christian Intolerence of Real Christians?

Starkist
06-05-2003, 11:49 AM
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/chuckcolson/cc20030604.shtml

Please don't turn this into a religious debate, the point here is the intolerence for fundamental Christian beliefs, even by those who profess to be Christians themselves.

J.J. Maxx
06-05-2003, 12:00 PM
People don't want to hear the truth. :shrug: Its so easy and fun to live in sin, isn't it?

AtmaWeapon
06-05-2003, 12:00 PM
Hypocrisy such as this is in my opinion the primary reason that Christianity is rejected by so many people. If everyone would either stick to Christian beliefs or stop saying they are a Christian, perhaps we would carry a better reputation.

I'm sure even those who I have most violently debated with can agree that they would not dislike Christianity as much if it wasn't for the rampant hypocrisy.

TheGeepster
06-05-2003, 12:25 PM
You see signs of this sort of intolerant "tolerance" quite frequently, sadly.

Especially here in the United States, whose citizens are generally becoming more like spoiled children, and the ridiculous notion that there is no such thing as absolute truth, that truth is up to the individual, is the popular opinion.

And yet, for truth supposedly being relative, and nobody being more right or wrong, Christians and conservatives are considered wrong.

fatcatfan
06-05-2003, 12:54 PM
It's the same sort of difference as between an extreme conservative (or liberal) and a moderate. These sort of people are trying to compromise, to water down those beliefs that prevent them from being accepted by everyone. They are straddling the fence, trying to live in the world and for God.

Rev 3:16 "So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth."

or in the immortal words of Miyagi "Man walk on road. Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk down middle, sooner or later, get squished just like grape."

TheGeepster
06-05-2003, 12:58 PM
You gotta love Miyagi philosophy, but the point is well made. It's the danger of compromise, especially where personal values are concerned.

tgf_guy
06-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Starkist
the point here is the intolerence for fundamental Christian beliefs, even by those who profess to be Christians themselves.

Humans are as varied as every tree that grows outside of my house, and not as many may hold the same beliefs of life as closely as others. But does this make them any less Christian than the other person? That is entirely open to interpretation of the Bible.

Starkist
06-05-2003, 07:00 PM
Christian = Follower of Christ. Christ = Son of God, died and rose again. If you don't believe that, then you're not really Christian are you?

tgf_guy
06-05-2003, 07:47 PM
Christian = Follower of Christ. Christ = Son of God, died and rose again. If you don't believe that, then you're not really Christian are you?

No debate here; perhaps I mis-interpretted the point that was being made.

Jigglysaint
06-05-2003, 07:57 PM

Amen, and if you arn't doing that, what religion ARE you?

Matteo
06-06-2003, 04:03 AM
Well I believe a true Christian is someone who is always trying to find God.

Starkist
06-06-2003, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by mattwdr
Well I believe a true Christian is someone who is always trying to find God.

If you haven't found Him through Christ, who claimed to be the way, the truth, and the life, and the only way to God, why bother calling yourself a Christian? Jesus Christ was never merely a good teacher or philosopher. He was either a liar, insane, or truly the Son of God.

Matteo
06-06-2003, 05:40 AM
So are you saying that you worship Christ over God the Father?

I believe all that you stated, however I think that if one is worshipping God that one is also worshipping Christ, and vice-versa.. because they are one and the same.

Starkist
06-06-2003, 05:42 AM
This has the potential to go off topic and fill several pages... as for a strict definition of the word 'Christian' there's a quote from C.S. Lewis I'll try to post sometime tomorrow when I'm not half asleep...

Elena
06-06-2003, 08:30 AM
I don't like it that some so called "christains" are angels on sunday but then the rest of the week they are little demons.Either go to church and be loyal to your God all week.Or forget the whole thing.I'm not saying that you SHOULD forget about God but if your going to treat him like a cow then I'm not thinking your gonna get anywhere.
I DO call myself a christain.And I believe in lots of things.But I do disagree with alot of peoples in my church that claim they are christains also.There's nothing else to say really.I'm no preacher.

Tsukuru
06-06-2003, 09:22 AM
A lot of you say that this is an example of intolerance for certain religious beliefs, and in every way it is, but in a different way.

This was during commencement, and Arinze's comments were inapropriate for graduation. Shouldn't he have known not to speak about controversial topics to which most of the crowd and faculty would object? I also make note that the majority of people in education are liberal. It was graduation, he should have been talking about something more appropriate for the occasion.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't have his right to free speach, but that he should know on what occasions certain topics are appropriate.

Starkist
06-06-2003, 11:57 AM
It was a Catholic school. Moreso than in Protestant Denominations, the Catholic Church very cleary lays out what it believes, and what it expects its members to believe. If a school faculty does not aline itself with those beliefs, it shouldn't call itself Catholic should it?

To switch gears a little, Patricia Ireland, a bisexual non-Christian woman with extreme liberal views was named president of the YWCA, Young Women's Christian Association. Now the YWCA is Christian in name only these days, but let's speculate. Say Ireland is invited to a Christian women meeeting. Say they asked her to speak on a certain subject. Instead she pushed her political views. They would be outraged, yada yada yada. However the media would take a position opposite yours, Tsukuru. It would be the Christian women who would be labeled as intolerant. They should have known what Ireland stood for, right? You can't ask a dog to fly.

Well perhaps the same thing applies here. The school should have realized that the man they asaked to speak had real convictions and real beliefs, a faith that was not compromised.

TheGeepster
06-07-2003, 04:00 AM
Thanks Starkist. If this had been a public school, or a non-religious school, perhaps those comments would have been out of line. But a Catholic school would supposedly abide by Catholic teaching, and what was said falls within that line. It therefore is perfectly acceptable what he said, and this is in fact intolerance of the very beliefs that the school stands for.

Elena, you make a valid point on the subject of one-day-a-week Christians. Many of the New Testament writers often emphasized that the Christian faith was a living faith, clearly seen through the actions of the individual. Is it not said that you shall know them by their fruit?

Show me your faith without works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

But that's a topic for a different thread.