PDA

View Full Version : Something to ponder...

Ibis, God of Magicks
06-04-2003, 07:43 AM
So, Last night at work I was talking to one of the janitors. He had asked if I had any of the new state quarters for his collection. I had looked, didn’t have any. Then we moved the conversation on to other currency, the new 20 coming out, the euro, and different anti-counterfeiting things being used now around the world. Then we moved on to credit cards, and the smart cards with computer chips in them. Then somehow the conversation jumped to computer chips in people.
I know a few families in the world are testing things like this out. One I herd of, the chips can be scanned to give a full medical history of the person. Then of course, who can forget “Demolition Man?” Then we moved onto the possibility of these chips erasing money. Like, instead of cash or credit, you just scan your arm and the money is deducted. And then my janitor friend caught me off guard.
He said to me, that the computer chip would become the mark of the beast. And I had just never thought of that before. I always associated the mark of the beast with something more.. vial. Then in thinking about it, he made a few valid points. Like, if you didn’t have the chip, you wouldn’t be able to buy anything. You’d probably be easily recognized.
Just something interesting to ponder…

Gerudo
06-04-2003, 09:56 AM
yes ladies and gents, strange stuff does indeed happen on 3rd shift... :)

TheGeepster
06-04-2003, 11:59 AM
I have heard the theory linking the embedded chip with the mark of the beast mentioned in Revelation. I think there may be something there, and certainly it could potentially be used to isolate and punish political opponents, religious prophecy aside.

However, none of us yet know what will happen in the future, and thus all we can do is keep our eyes open. For those in the Christian faith now, we may not have to worry about the mark of the beast. Even if we do, it will be rather obvious that we are siding with the beast by taking his mark, and so speculation in this area doesn't do a whole lot, really.

AtmaWeapon
06-04-2003, 01:23 PM
I think there are two major issues that prevent me from fearing the embedded chip.

Firstly, scripture is very clear that the mark will be visible on your right hand or forehead. A sand grain sized chip is hardly visible, and could be anywhere. Theres some RDIF or some acronym things that are the size of grains of sand and transmit radio signals already, so this is probably what the embedded chip would be like.

Second, the mark would be something you had a choice over, if I interpret scripture right. If you have the chip embedded at birth, you didn't have a choice. Ergo, I feel it is just some neo-Luddites trying to halt progress.

I personally am very curious to see how long it would be before this system would get hacked.

SquishyMon
06-04-2003, 02:00 PM
Isn't that what they said when the barcode was introduced? I remember seeing a series of really campy movies made in the 70's about the tribulation, and they were tattooing barcodes on people as a registration thing in some new world order. Many people belive that the world will end very soon, but don't think it will be in any of our lifetimes (but there's still that whole 2012 thing). Just remember, technology isn't evil, people are.

Ganonator
06-04-2003, 02:03 PM
Mark of the Beast?? ahh.. you Christians are no fun.. :p

For working at Target, it would sure speed them old people up. Gramma wants to right a check, and it takes her a good 5 minutes to get out her checkbook, then she asks about 10 times what the date is,.. bah... I'd rather just put granny in a headlock, scan her head over the checkpoint, and hand her the receipt.

Or, it would be like that ad a while ago where the guy was shoplifting a bunch of stuff from the grociery store, and as he walks out, a cop comes up to him and says, "Sir!! You forgot your receipt"

I don't think an embedded chip would be the best way to go. Maybe a smart card that be swiped at the doors, and all of the products accounted for there. Cashiers would be faded out, and the world would be much more efficient. Besides - I would consciencously try to pick the damn thing out of my hand/arm like Russell Crowe does in Beautiful Mind.

TheGeepster
06-04-2003, 05:01 PM
Well, the idea of an embedded chip isn't a tremendously bad idea to be sure. As much as I may have downed it, I did indicate that it wasn't anything to fear, really, so long as we keep our eyes and hearts alert to any danger.

As I said, when you take the Mark of the Beast, you will know that you are taking it, and so you needn't worry too much about inadvertantly taking this mark without realizing what it is, or at least not without hearing enough that you OUGHT to know better, whatever form this mark may take.