PDA

View Full Version : Conventions

TheGeepster
06-01-2003, 06:14 PM
This weekend, I went to A-Kon for part of the day. It's an anime convention held in Dallas every year (for this year and the previous 13 years.) It was a fun experience albeit a little more expensive than I wanted it to be. My first, and despite having an idea of what the tradition anime/sci-fi convention goer looks like, I was a bit surprised to see as many costumed people as I did.

Anyone ever attended a convention of any kind just for fun? What did you think about it?

moocow
06-01-2003, 07:12 PM
Yes. The AGN convention last year, and a Printing Convention, so to speak. T'was cool.

Tudorcat
06-01-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by TheGeepster
This weekend, I went to A-Kon for part of the day. It's an anime convention held in Dallas every year (for this year and the previous 13 years.) It was a fun experience albeit a little more expensive than I wanted it to be. My first, and despite having an idea of what the tradition anime/sci-fi convention goer looks like, I was a bit surprised to see as many costumed people as I did.

Anyone ever attended a convention of any kind just for fun? What did you think about it?

I acctually did go to the "west coast trekkies" Star Trek convention a couple of years agoand that was , well interesting :laughing: Lots of people dressed as members of the onboard staff, kids and grown ups.

Beam me up Scotty!

:kitty:

Daarkseid
06-01-2003, 09:35 PM
I've been to a gaming convention called ManaFest twice. The type of gaming that goes on there is usually table top RPGs and trading card games(the most played being Magic: The Gathering).

They were kind of boring though.

TheGeepster
06-02-2003, 01:37 AM
A-Kon did have some anime movies on a theratre screen, as well as a gaming area, somre artists selling their artwork, and more anime stuff than you could shake a stick at. Manga, DVD, Box sets, a vew VHS cassettes, cels, a back room dedicated to painting cels, different kinds of weapons, music, and various assorted anime-themed items. But I did get my fill after about 3 hours of it. (Almost forgot, there were many photos taken in the free area, including one photo shoot of several stormtroopers, an Empire fighter pilot, Destro, and 2 or 3 Joes..)

Pablo
06-02-2003, 03:18 AM
They never hold conventions where I live ;_;

Anyway, I never really saw the point. A bunch of people coming together to discuss what they like? I'd rather just use the Net for that.

Feel free to correct me on any points I may have gotten wrong.

moocow
06-02-2003, 03:17 PM
You have a good point, pablo. But, some people use conventions to just meet new people :shrug: Someone to talk to face to face and stuff. I guess it all just depends on who you are.

MANDRAG GANON
06-02-2003, 04:34 PM
I've attended the Anime North anime convention 2 years ago, It as fun, got to see lots of cool things, got some cool animes also saw an 8 foot male sailor mecury...some scary people trying to sound like Godzilla....I enjoyed it :) I was gonna go again this year but SARS happened

carrot red
06-02-2003, 05:52 PM
Yes, I attended a comic book convention out of curiosity once.
It was fun and very colorful. You have to admire some people's dedication. I had never seen so many flyingmen of all brands in one place before and I think cloning is well under way there.
All in all, it was sort of a carnival atmosphere affair.

TheGeepster
06-03-2003, 02:05 AM
Was there a sort of market atmosphere to it as well, carrot? People selliung anything and everything they can think of to sell?

Ibis, God of Magicks
06-03-2003, 07:53 AM
I've been to a few, but they were all geek convention, for gaming and trek and wars.

carrot red
06-03-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by TheGeepster
Was there a sort of market atmosphere to it as well, carrot? People selling anything and everything they can think of to sell?
You said it, from cotton candy to the weirdest stuff with stalls everywhere (and lots of costumes with outrageous price tags).

Carnival.:rolleyes:

TedHead
06-03-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by MANDRAG GANON
I've attended the Anime North anime convention 2 years ago, It as fun, got to see lots of cool things, got some cool animes also saw an 8 foot male sailor mecury...some scary people trying to sound like Godzilla....I enjoyed it :) I was gonna go again this year but SARS happened

Gwahahaha! And because all you tourists were afraid of SARS, in Toronto, everything became DIRT CHEAP FOR ME!!!! AHAHAHAHA!

I went to a blue jays game for $1! Hohohohohoho! EVERYTHING IS CHEAP cuz everyone is afraid of SARS! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

....sorry about that, I had to let it out.

My friends went to Anime North this year, and they said it wasn't that great. Pretty much just a bunch of people selling their stuff, and it was expensive according to them.

A comic book store in my neighborhood has a little mini-convention every 3 months. It's got contests and movies and everything anime. It's awesome.