PDA

View Full Version : Huge Computer problem

mike5000
05-30-2003, 11:59 PM
My old comp. has a Huge problem. I ran this program called Nortin System Works, and did a diagnose on the Hard drive. Well now no programs work, no tasks work, and sometimes I get an error message saying that I dont the the right "permissions" to access the files. the only things I can do is 'view' files and run IE! I cant open anything. This is on Windows ME.

vegeta1215
05-31-2003, 12:13 AM
:( That sucks. Norton System Works is supposed to fix things on your computer, not break them. Maybe it was performing some kind of hard drive optimization and something happened and things are all over the place now. I don't know what else to tell you unless you have some more info for us.

Flash Man
05-31-2003, 12:38 AM
Take your Windows ME CD or Restore CD put it in the CD Drive and rebuild ME over your current one. It should fix most problems and you will keep all your files.

mike5000
05-31-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Flash Man
Take your Windows ME CD or Restore CD put it in the CD Drive and rebuild ME over your current one. It should fix most problems and you will keep all your files.

I tried, I get the CD auto run screen, and only the documentation option works, so I try to 'explore' the CD, and I try to open the Setup.exe, but it wont open..

-I just checked my old Win98 disk, (which should be the master cd?) and I cant do anything with that either? Does this mean i cant even reformat the HD?

Starkist
05-31-2003, 01:34 AM
You can always reformat, but that should be a last resort. Have you tried booting into safe mode?

mike5000
05-31-2003, 01:59 AM
Yes I went into safe mode, but I have all the same problems as in normal mode.... cant open any programs either way, I cant even open 'properties' for any programs. I went to symantecs web site and it says that the 'goback' feature probally disabled my Hard drive. and It gives a guide to unitall it. but I need to make a win98/me boot disk (witch i cant get to add/remove programs) Tomarro im gonna start calling friends and see who has ME and get a boot disk..

Fatty Lumpkin
06-01-2003, 06:15 PM
The other day a guy brought in his computer for me to work on, and it had problems similar to yours. He tried to install system works on his computer, but it messed up part way through and made everything on his hard drive read only. The wierd thing was, you could save and edit things in the folders, but not install anything. I ended up just reinstalling xp. :shrug:

Gerudo
06-02-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by mike5000
I tried, I get the CD auto run screen, and only the documentation option works, so I try to 'explore' the CD, and I try to open the Setup.exe, but it wont open..

-I just checked my old Win98 disk, (which should be the master cd?) and I cant do anything with that either? Does this mean i cant even reformat the HD? ok 2 things...

by putting the restore disc in, you must RESTART the computer for the restore cd to work... at least thats how all my restore cd's funtioned (upon restart)

about reformatting? only use it as a last resort...

mike5000
06-02-2003, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I fixed it. Found a Master Boot Disk, I tried to reinstall Win98, but It would not let me. I could only reinstall winME : (