PDA

View Full Version : Violent Video Games

Ich
05-30-2003, 12:25 PM
http://www.detnews.com/2003/technology/0305/29/technology-177517.htm

Aegis Runestone
05-30-2003, 12:35 PM
I somewhat argee on that, but the game does need to violent. More like it needs to be realistic.

I personally think that video games that are violent can dissenstize someone, but they can never make a person kill another.

If that is the case, then that person would need SERIOUS help(The Xbox told me to! :p :laugh: )!

Anyways, this is another "stating the obivious" article that I already knew. :shrug:

Daarkseid
05-30-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Aegis Runestone

I personally think that video games that are violent can dissenstize someone, but they can never make a person kill another.

I strongly disagree. While in videogames, yes, I'm not at all fazed by somebody getting their head shot off, or seeing somebody's guts spill the floor. But in real life seeing actual bleeding as a result of violence does raise some level of concern on my part, even if its merely a scrape or cut.

EDIT: Didn't read the article quite yet. I had actually been aware of possible benefits in gaming beyond the usual hand to eye coordination. Somebody pointed out to me years ago that videogames actually seemed to encourage in people the ability to be more decisive and capable of changing decisions and making new ones as the game goes along, all in a fairly quick manner.

Fatty Lumpkin
05-30-2003, 01:14 PM
They game doesn't have to be violent. Fast-paced racing games such as Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit II (I love that game :D) probably speed reaction times.

slef
05-30-2003, 01:28 PM
Personally, I like violent games more because it just seems to be more fun than games such as chess or racing games

Link 101
05-30-2003, 02:36 PM
Are they gonna make up their minds or what? At first violent games aren't good, no they are.:shrugs: That's modern-day society for ya.

SquishyMon
05-30-2003, 02:44 PM
First of all, I am completely for obcenity. If a person has a violent personality, he will probably enjoy playing violent video games. That does not mean the games caused him to be violoent, that's just manipulation of facts. What then would explain the majority of people who play violent games and lead perfectly normal lives?

zora man
05-30-2003, 05:31 PM
The law, passed by the Washington legislature last month and signed last week by Locke, makes it illegal for children under 17 to rent or buy games that depict violence against police officers. Stores that break the rule may be fined as much as $500.

Now that is just gay...I love violent games.

TheGeepster
05-30-2003, 06:35 PM
Link101, that was my question. Why bring up GTA3 in good light? Is GTA3 one of the better games for the development of the positive skills listed in the article? Why not Gran Turismo, which has no questionable content, and probably has a more realistic perspective?

I could see the general facts being true though. It may develop some skills useful in more practical application.

However, I do still think that violent games can desensitize those who play it to their content, expecially the more realistic ones. It's not enough to make someone act that way in real life, but if the person is prone to those kind of feelings, it might potentially enbolden them, and it will reinforce those attitudes.