PDA

View Full Version : New Sony console/home entertainment thingy!

Blonde799
05-28-2003, 05:23 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/news/news_6029048.html

At a media briefing in Tokyo earlier today, Sony announced that it will release a new game console named PSX in Japan before the end of the year. Scheduled for release in North America and Europe sometime in 2004, the sleek-looking PSX console is essentially a redesigned PlayStation 2--albeit with plenty of additional features.

With the exception of the console's 120GB hard drive and built-in Ethernet support, the PSX console's new features won't offer any benefits as far as gaming is concerned, but--thanks to the inclusion of a TV and broadcast satellite tuner and a DVD recorder--it will instead transform the PlayStation 2 into a set-top box capable of delivering online play, music, and movies straight out of the box.

When playing games, you'll plug your controllers into the rear of the PSX console, where the hard drive and Sony Memory Stick compatibility have clearly rendered the standard PS2 memory cards obsolete. No pricing information for the PSX has been announced at this time, but the box will be marketed as a high-end electronics product rather than as a game console and, as such, will be handled by Sony's Home Electronics Division as opposed to Sony Computer Entertainment.

I guess that's one of the reasons FFXI probably won't be released until next year. I plan on replacing my old PS2 with this baby.:D

SquishyMon
05-28-2003, 06:07 PM
Looks like it would be right at home on the planet Kamino.

SomUnknown
05-28-2003, 06:17 PM
Now, if it had a toaster, I'd be sold.

AlexMax
05-28-2003, 09:54 PM
Ugh, I wanted to be the first one to post this, but the boards were down and I went to my friends soon after.

Still, anyone noticec that it's nicknamed the PSX? Weirdness...

El Oso Verde
05-29-2003, 12:11 PM
While it sounds neat and all, I'm perfectly happy with my PS2. I just want a HDD for it.

I've got quite a few problems with this new box:

1) Plug controllers ino the back of the console? WTF? Now that's fine and dandy if you're sitting 3 feet from the TV, but if you've got a lot of people over that's instant PS2-on-the-floor

2) Ok, so it's basically the bastard child of a PS2, and iMac, and a TiVo. Can you say overkill? I can hardly imagine the price tag on this SOB.

3) Slot loading cd drive... why the hell... ? I've never fully trusted any slot loading disc drives. They tend to scratch discs and break easily. I can just imagine someone coming over and trying to stick another cd in there while one is already in. How you going to fix that without voiding your warrantee?

Ok, so I suppose my gripes are mostly personal preference, being poor, and it not being idiot-proof (and I deal with a lot of idiots)

Still, I expect the price tag on this sucker is gonna be pretty high. I hope they still plan to release the HDD add on for the original PS2 models. Because frankly, I'd rather not have to buy a new console just to play games that support the hard drive. I wasn't that upset about the GBA: SP because 1) the gba needed a light anyways, and 2) gameboys aren't THAT expensive.

Also, what happened to the new model 5000 PS2's that were in the works?

[edit]: I'm looking at the pictures, and I can't tell where the controllers go in. It said the controllers and memory cards go in the back, but I just see 2 slots one on top of the other. Not sure if they're memory card slots or controller slots as the pic is small. So... where does the other one go?

Axel
05-29-2003, 04:19 PM
could someone tell me why it shares nicknames with the original Playstation?

obi
05-29-2003, 05:17 PM
Why oh why is it starting to sound more and more like a PC system? Controllers in back, dvd burner.....
wtf happened to the consoles?

AlexMax
05-29-2003, 05:22 PM
+5 Informative

The PSX is basically a PS2 equivilent of what the Xbox 2 is supposed to be. Except Sony's box comes out a LOT sooner than Microsoft's Xbox, and this probably took Microsoft by total surprise, since they were probably sure that they would at least wait until the PS3 to do this, and their Xbox 2 is supposed to come out before the PS3.

Heh heh, kinda funny that Microsoft got beat to the punch with this one despite their efforts of rushing the Xbox 2 to beat PS3's launch date...

And where does the Gamecube fit into the 'all in one' picture? Well, they don't, unless you count the import only Panasonic Q which plays gamecube games, DVD's and has a LOT better output selection than the origional cube. But seeing as how it lacks a DVD burner and a 'Tivo' function it doesn't really count...

AtmaWeapon
05-29-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by obi
Why oh why is it starting to sound more and more like a PC system? Controllers in back, dvd burner.....
wtf happened to the consoles?

Sony is catching wind of Microsoft's intents for the Xbox. Neither company is concerned with games anymore; they want to make a $200 computer that you throw away if something breaks. They have built a large enough consumer base by appealing more to mainstream people than serious gamers (Yes, I realize there's a lot of good games for both systems, but did Sony make any of those games? How about Microsoft? The companies concerned with the games are Nintendo and the old third parties like Capcom and Konami.)

I said this a long time ago, and I think it's even more possible now than ever. Sony wants you to play your Sony Playstation games on your Sony TV while listening to the game on your Sony stereo. Have you read about the Cell chip architecture they may use in the PS3? I read an article that mentioned that some Cells would work better with certain cells *cough*Sony-brand merchandise*cough*.

And the blind Americans still consider Microsoft the only monopoly.

obi
05-30-2003, 04:34 AM
Then in all technicality, Nintendo has 'won' the 'Console Wars' as it is the only 'competitor' that is actually producing a console anymore.

Fuck Sony and Microsoft, I'ed take even Sega over those two anyday....

I guess not everything can last

Jawa Podracer
05-31-2003, 04:47 PM
This is why I prefer Nintendo. I actually like they're doing this. Why? Think about it this way: Microsoft and Sony are adding more and more PC-like add-ons. Sooner or later, they'll forget about video gaming.

PrfectGREG
06-04-2003, 10:17 AM
PSX was never an official abreviation, also I heard some where that this PSX will cost upwards of 1000 bucks. But if you think about it its worth it for the DVD burner alone.

AtmaWeapon
06-04-2003, 01:28 PM
A DVD-R drive is like $300. If you think that a $300 drive is worth $1000, I've got a Pentium 133 computer that I would like to sell you for $500.

Blonde799
06-04-2003, 04:45 PM
With all the little goodies, I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than $300.:p Although I'm hoping for 300.