PDA

View Full Version : Cottontailed Indicator: How to tell it's time to mow

fatcatfan
05-26-2003, 11:41 AM
When the grass is so tall, rabbits start making a nest in your front yard, maybe it is time to mow.

http://webpages.charter.net/fatcatfan/images/nester01.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/fatcatfan/images/nester02.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/fatcatfan/images/nester03.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/fatcatfan/images/nester04.jpg

Later, when she was gone, I got a close-up of what she was working so hard on:

http://webpages.charter.net/fatcatfan/images/nest.jpg

When I woke up this morning, she was out there, apparently just eating grass, but the more I watched, I could tell she was up to something else. I got about 10 minutes of video, and some stills. She was still at work when I came back in to take a shower, but I haven't seen her since. I *do* have to mow today, but I'll probably leave a patch of grass around this nest and see if she ever comes back.

carrot red
05-26-2003, 01:13 PM
She's so cute. (How did you know it's a she?)
Anyhow, that's what happens when you buy your lawn seed from the Amazon Rain Forest. Man, I wanna a raise! I just mowed it last month. And you didn't have to use the *I do have to mow today* and take away my allowance, I can take a hint, dad. I'll do it, but not today.:tongue:

Ganonator
05-26-2003, 01:17 PM
*Ganonator looks out window.

Wow.. our lawns look pretty close. All 5" of grass and all ;p

that's pretty interesting. I'd never imagine a rabbit nesting on open ground like that.

SquishyMon
05-26-2003, 02:27 PM
I've come to the conclusion that mowing the lawn is redundant and unnecessary; like shaving one's underarms. Just let it grow. Maybe if we had grass that was genetically engineered to only grow to 3 inches...

Foxx
05-26-2003, 05:00 PM
Aw, look at the cute widdle wabbit!

carrot red, you're fatcatfan's daughter? That's a news flash to me....

fatcatfan
05-26-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by carrot red
She's so cute. (How did you know it's a she?)

Well, I guess I don't, but I assumed since it was making a nest it is expecting babies. But I think I remember reading somewhere that a male would have larger hind legs than this one did. Maybe it's just my imagination.

The front yard is mowed, the trim is done, and I've even pulled up the poison ivy on the cedars in the back yard. I'm about to finish with the back, mom is washing the cars, and the junipers out front still need to be straightened and tied from the wind damage. Tell me again why you get an allowance? :tongue:

moocow
05-26-2003, 05:35 PM
Awww... cute wittle bunny wabbit

/me tears up as she remembers Hoss

I miss my bunny :(

carrot red
05-26-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by fatcatfan
Tell me again why you get an allowance? :tongue:
Well, I could list a million reasons…
But I won’t because it’ll make you feel so bad that you’d have to at least *double* my allowance and I know that you have to pay off the mortgage on the house, the cars, your loans, my tuition, my trip to Europe this summer and the car you promised to buy me…(Yes?:) )
You’re so lucky to have an understanding and easy to please daughter like me and you pest because you had to mow the lawn just this once and couldn’t wait for me to finish counting my freckles? It’s so hard to be me.:saint:

Originally posted by Foxx
carrot red, you're fatcatfan's daughter? That's a news flash to me....
Well, Foxx, we had to keep it a secret at first so people wouldn't think that I got the job through his string-pulling. It would have gotten in the way of my getting my promotion. (Where have you been?):tongue:

If she is *expecting*, shouldn't mooie get one?

inori
05-26-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by carrot red
Well, I could list a million reasons…
But I won’t because it’ll make you feel so bad that you’d have to at least *double* my allowance and I know that you have to pay off the mortgage on the house, the cars, your loans, my tuition, my trip to Europe this summer and the car you promised to buy me…(Yes?:) )

Ya know, back in the old days, some of us didn't get allowances. We had to work for free. Oh, that's unless you count the roof over your head, the food on your table, the learnin' at your school, and the clothes on your butt.

:kawaii:

Just a little joke... I wouldn't presume to interfere between the two of you...

fatcatfan
05-26-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by moocow
Awww... cute wittle bunny wabbit

/me tears up as she remembers Hoss

I miss my bunny :(
I, too, had pets rabbits once. My birthday is in April, and every... 11 years I think... my birthday falls on Easter. The first time that happened, I was 3 or 4 years old. I got a bunny for a birthday/Easter present. She was white with a big grey spot on one side, so I aptly named her "Dotty".

TheGeepster
05-27-2003, 02:45 AM
Reminds me of a more tragic incident that took place near my grandmother's house. They had to mow the yard with some tall grass, and there was a rabbit.. We tried to coax him/her away from the mower, but to no avail. It weren't very pretty.

Foxx
05-27-2003, 06:15 AM
I'm just surprised because as of now fatcatfan is 25.... so unless this is part of a joke (like the AGN family tree), that would make you really, really young....

Drunken Tiger
05-27-2003, 09:05 AM
My lawn is composed of weed and dry dirt..... -_-''

Havent seen actual green grass for a while....

carrot red
05-27-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by inori

Ya know, back in the old days, some of us didn't get allowances. We had to work for free. Oh, that's unless you count the roof over your head, the food on your table, the learnin' at your school, and the clothes on your butt.
I betcha kids didn't sue their parents in the old days, inori.
And he does insist on putting clothes on my butt, I don't know why.:shrug:

I'm just surprised because as of now fatcatfan is 25.... so unless this is part of a joke (like the AGN family tree), that would make you really, really young....
I did mention *Amazon Rainforest seed*, didn't I?;)

moocow
05-27-2003, 10:05 AM
/me looks at carrot red and cracks up...

you're a riot, girl...

fatcatfan
05-27-2003, 10:39 AM

Someone give the boy a cookie! Though, I do come from Tennessee... and while we aren't near as bad as... say... Alabama, it isn't uncommon for young girls to be pregnant at age 13. So assuming I started at a similar age... red would be roughly 12. A very mature 12, I might add.

Okay, I'm through making fun of you now. She is my daughter however, and I'll hurt the person who tries to say otherwise.

SquishyMon
05-27-2003, 01:40 PM
Wasn't this thread about bunny rabbits, not redneck mating habbits? (no offense, of course)

hey, I made a rhyme!

fatcatfan
05-27-2003, 02:03 PM
Well... you know how rabbits multiply...

Ich
05-27-2003, 08:29 PM
And rabbits like carrots, too. My friend once saw a rabbit sitting in his lawn where he had just mowed, and then he thought, "Boy, it's a good thing I didn't hit that." When it was still there in a few hours later, he came up to it, and nudged it. Its head fell off.

moocow
05-27-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by ICHBINDASWALROSS
My friend once saw a rabbit sitting in his lawn where he had just mowed, and then he thought, "Boy, it's a good thing I didn't hit that." When it was still there in a few hours later, he came up to it, and nudged it. Its head fell off.

I just thought I'd let you know, that I'm going to have nightmares of headless bunnies chasing me, for the rest of my life now. Thanks, Ich :redface: