PDA

View Full Version : Transferring data between OSes

bigjoe
05-25-2003, 05:37 PM
I have recently installed Linux, and I am curious.. how would one transfer data, even in small amounts , such as something you would put on the clipboard, between OSes? The only thing I can think of right now is to PM myself , switch to Linux, and read the PM there.

Is there any way I can get my Linux partition to recognize the main hard drive and read/write data to there? I know it can. Linux can read/write FAT32, i know that for a fact. I just dont know how.

Im running Mandrake 9.1 , by the way...

gdorf
05-25-2003, 06:58 PM
yea, its very easy in linux. Just browse over to /mnt and one of the folders should be a mount point for your windows partition. You'll easily be able to tell that it is windows by the name. Some names I've seen it as are:
fat_c
win_c
windows

Anyone, just go in there and its like you are on your C: partition. Nice, huh?

theplustwo
05-25-2003, 09:08 PM
yeah, you can't really copy/paste between partitions, unless you're running something like VMware. other methods would be to ftp the data, use a floppy disk, or burn a cd. but if you can just mount your windows partition (which you should be able to do with mandrake) then that would be the best way.

inori
05-26-2003, 02:19 AM
Mandrake calls the Windows partition /mnt/windows. You can access your Windows data through that. But the partition's owner will generally be root, so you won't be able to write there unless you either become root (su) or change the permissions (chmod); the latter will require you to be logged in as root anyway.

BTW, as you point out, Mandrake can only read FAT drives. If you later change the Windows partition to NTFS, it won't be readable in Linux.

Oh, and another quick-and-dirty way to transfer data: e-mail yourself. Works between OSs or between computers. :kawaii:

Flash Man
05-26-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by inori
BTW, as you point out, Mandrake can only read FAT drives. If you later change the Windows partition to NTFS, it won't be readable in Linux.
Mandrake 9 reads NTFS perfectly, and it put mine under /mnt/nt.

inori
05-26-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Flash Man

Mandrake 9 reads NTFS perfectly, and it put mine under /mnt/nt.

I guess it's time for me to upgrade... :kawaii: