PDA

View Full Version : Question about message strings

mjctraider
05-24-2003, 06:17 PM
I am using the pure tileset and want to be able to have a message appear when Link enters houses that can have different interiors. Is this possible? I am just curious, because the quest of hidden duality has messages appear in houses and the house interior is different for each house.

I know I asked this question already in another post not too long ago, but no one seems to even be reading the other post. Sorry if this is bad for posting in these forums, but I don't know all the rules and regulations. I just would like some more info on message strings. I've read everything I could about it and nothing is working.

Freedom
05-24-2003, 08:13 PM
sure, use a different D-Map for each house

mjctraider
05-24-2003, 08:46 PM
The messages will only appear when the dmap is 0. I tested a room and it only worked if the dmap was 0. If anyone knows how the creator of Hidden Duality did it or if anyone else has done it let me know. I'd appreciate any help.

idontknow
05-24-2003, 11:27 PM
the dmap type has to be dungeon or cave (and not overworld), and the level # has to be greater than 0; thats the requirements for message strings to appear on screens.

TheGeepster
05-25-2003, 02:28 PM
I tend to set up what used to be "caves" as a warp to a separate Dmap (I only use one Dmap for each general style, and set the warps to different screens, to cut down on Dmap usage) That way each house/cave can be as different or similar as you choose to make it.

mjctraider
05-25-2003, 08:20 PM
Yeah I had the dmap set to dungeon, but I tried having the level set higher than 0, but had the message on the screen before he does the tile warp, like it used to be when warping to screen 80 and then I had it set so the message was on the same screen as the room, but had the level set to 0. Now it works and finally I can see the message appear on the screen with the house interior. Thanks for the help. I know I was close, but I was missing a few steps.

DeathLink
05-25-2003, 09:34 PM
make sure you have a 'guy' and the tilewarp is set to 'entrace/exit'. hope that helps

TheGeepster
05-26-2003, 08:24 AM
Make sure the side warp out of the house is a entrance/exit as well.

mjctraider
05-26-2003, 02:24 PM
Yeah the message appears the way I want it to, although the guy doesn't appear but I don't want the "guy" to appear. I used one of the sprite characters instead. Just need to do a little more manipulating to fix 1 minor bug, but other than that I have done what I wanted to do for a while now, thanks again for the help

TheGeepster
05-27-2003, 04:03 AM
If you don't want a guy, then erase one of the hard-coded guy positions, use that guy for your guy, and for sake of consistency, try to make sure that something solid in placed where the guy would show up (Or that your hero is otherwise unable to get to that spot.)