PDA

View Full Version : Summer Camp!

Monica
05-23-2003, 12:16 PM
Hey guys, I'll be leaving for Muscular Dystrophy Association Rainbow Camp Saturday, May 30th and I'll come back on Friday, June 6th. I really love that camp, and I wanted to start a topic about camps before I leave.

If you've been to camp before, what was it like? Did you have a blast or did you absolutely loathe it?

Verman
05-23-2003, 01:25 PM
Explain that camp...why is it called: Muscular Dystrophy Association Rainbow Camp

is it sponsored by the Muscular Dystrophy Association? Or does it have something to do with that.

Monica
05-23-2003, 01:56 PM
It IS the camp for people with Muscle deseases (which I have) The one in my state, they call Rainbow Camp. We stay in cabins with bunk beds and air conditioning and everything and we have a cafeteria and a gym and all our meals are home-cooked by the cooks, and we have horses and sports and fishing in the lake and swimming in the built in pool, and a carnival with a climbable rock tower and programs like skits and Karaoke, and there is a contest for 1 cabin to win pizza from Dominos and usually the oldest boys' cabin wins but the usually invite my cabin in too because we're the oldest girls, which is very nice of them. :) Oh and we have this long topless golfcart that we call the rainbo limo. If you're walking and the driver sees you he'll give you a ride. (I had one of the Junior Staffers as my slave once because I was Miss Spirit, so I got to steer once that day. :))

Each camper has to have their own counselor because of our disabilities and at the end of camp we have a date night, where campers ask dates (because of the camper/counselor rule, campers and counselors go together) And they make the cafeteria up loke a fancy reseraunt with waiters and Matre D's and stuff and then we go in the gym for the big dance. :) Counselors are 16 years old and up and Campers are 5 through 21. Oh and the camp that MDA rents for Rainbow camp is a church camp called Camp Bethany. :)

moon_princess
05-23-2003, 03:24 PM
I've never been to a camp like that, but I've been a 2 different church camps before. I went to one in April, and I loved it. The place where it was was beautiful. We had nice cabins, decent meals, and lots of free time just to hang around with friends and enjoy the scenery. Plus, there was a small cave there, nothing fancy, just one that you basically walked straight through to a sand area and a few places to sit in the back. It was really fun, though. I should be going to another camp this summer, probably in July sometime. It's not as fun as the one I went to in April, but it's alright.

Ich
05-23-2003, 03:33 PM
I've been to two summer camps. Camp Swatara, and Hidden Valley Scout Camp. Camp Swatara rocks, it's a church camp, and Hidden Valley, well, is Boy Scout camp, and that's about all I can say about it. Leaky tents when it rains, sitting around with other people and playing with fire and knives. Swatara was much different, we had cabins and hot meals, and it's the place we'd go to for winter retreats. A thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Jigglysaint
05-23-2003, 08:09 PM
Really the only camp I've been to is Camp Towhee, a camp for children who have learning disablilites and the social reprecussions of having them. While I was there I was placed in the cabin with some of the most hyper kids imaginable. Both years I managed to have at least one friend, and one year I fell into a crowd of girls who were kind of girly(I like the girly girls :naughty: ), but it was kind of gay. I mean, "Superfriends"? Okay, I am offically going to watch the Matrix tonight just to atone for that alone.

Anyway, the place was nice, there was plenty of food, we got candy every week, and every Sunday we went on an outing to one of 2 places; one of them had the most killer icecream in the universe, the Kawartha Dairy. The other part I loved were the campfires where we got sing songs, like the Titanic one(not THAT one, dumbass!)where we got to make fun of the snooty rich kid camp accross the lake at the end of the song.

Yup, I miss camp alot, and it sucks because you have to practically be a soical worker to get a job as a counsoler there.