PDA

View Full Version : Water fountain with water that flows uphill!

AtmaWeapon
05-22-2003, 01:59 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3046791.stm

So it doesn't really flow uphill, but I thought the effect was neat. Points for creativitity.

moocow
05-22-2003, 02:03 AM
Wow, that's really cool. I want one!

/me asks Santa for one for this Christmas.

Gerudo
05-22-2003, 04:06 AM
thats pretty neat, id like to see if they got a small clip of it on action...

ShadowTiger
05-22-2003, 07:40 AM
Witness the marvels of the human mind, and laugh at nature, which has yet to be able to make water flow uphill.

Hah.

Note to Nature: You're losing the race. Come on. ;)

I'm just razzin' ya. I loveya Nature! :D

Axel
05-22-2003, 07:58 AM
ah the human mind is a spectacular thing.

Raichu86
05-22-2003, 10:55 AM
Impressive. I want one. :D

AtmaWeapon
05-22-2003, 12:20 PM
I saw something on the Discovery channel a while back about a man who made a waterslide that pushes you uphill for a stretch...

He doesn't pull any fancy tricks, though. Just as you would expect, he simply used some really powerful water jets.

TheGeepster
05-22-2003, 06:24 PM
This is quite a cool-sounding effect.

I would have thought one could tell the difference between an upflow and a downflow though, but I'm clearly wrong on that account.

SquishyMon
05-22-2003, 11:19 PM
Geepster, the downflow is very even so the only thing one can see are the bubbles underneath, which are going up.

Bubbles, bubbles everywhere, and not a drop to drink.

TheGeepster
05-25-2003, 03:41 PM
Aaah, I gotcha SquishyMon.. I knew it was something like that.

Now I wanna work on something like this, only resembling the Red Sea (with authentic Moses figurine...)

Ich
05-26-2003, 12:38 AM
I've seen similar things, like a faucet hanging in the middle of nowhere over a pool of water, apparently supported only by the water coming out of it from nowhere...

Again, a glass tube with water coming up the inside, down the outside.

MANDRAG GANON
05-26-2003, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I was acctually just gonna say that ICHBINDASWALROSS, I've also seen that upflowing water thing before too....I dunno where it was...on TV I think. It was about a year ago though. pretty cool tho, i wanna see it in action as well

Dracula
05-26-2003, 01:06 AM
That reminds me of the time I went to Wisconson Dells, over at that one place ( i dunno what it's called) where there's some sort of gravitational pull forcing you to the SIDE, instead of just plain DOWN (do you understand me now?)... And, they poured a pitcher of whater on a ramp, and the water moved UP the ramp instead of DOwn (get it?)... I dunno, you have to see it to understand... :shrug:

Ganonator
05-26-2003, 01:34 AM
Not quite what i was expecting, but it is a cool effect indeed.

Back here in Helena, there is a hill where your car actually rolls uphill... You can see that the top is above where you start, yet you can put it in neutral, and up it goes. I thought it was going to be a gravitational trick like that, but bubbles will do it for you too

Mercy
05-26-2003, 01:40 AM
We have a road in Florida on what is called "Spook Hill" with a similar illusion tied to it. People put their cars in neutral at a certain part of the bottom of the hill and the cars roll uphill. The illusion is actually tied to the surrounding hills that are sloped in such a way as to make the it appear the road is sloping up when it is actually a decent. It is not really worth the trip unless you are a local but it is interesting to stand there and try to wrap your mind around the actual versus perceived slopes.

Glass waterfalls in a garden sound like an accident waiting to happen. :(

m.

TheGeepster
05-26-2003, 07:41 AM
The hanging faucet sounds cool actually.

And the rolling uphill thing reminds me a bit if what's happened to me a couple of times. I'll be parking my car and coming to a stop when the car beside me starts to move, and from my perspective, it almost feels like I'm the one moving!