PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Some online plans from nintendo!

KingArthur
05-21-2003, 10:04 PM
well.. announced announcement of them anyway, lol

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=4391

In a Los Angeles Times article supplied by Reuters, Nintendo Co. Ltd. president Satoru Iwata has offered a bit of insight into Nintendo's online plans.

The article focuses on whether consumers are willing to pay for online features, and how much they are willing to pay. Of course, this has been a major issue for Nintendo all along, as their main concern is how consumers will pay for and how Nintendo can profit from online games.

"I don't think its reasonable to make someone pay for a game and then make them prepare a network connection and charge a monthly fee," Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo, told Reuters recently.

Meanwhile, Nintendo's Iwata said his company was working on a service that would not require users to cough up regular fees for games.

"In the near future we are hoping to announce something that addresses this issue," he told Reuters.

Looks like they take the view many people do, you shouldnt have to buy a game then pay for it monthly, which is EXACLTY what I want to hear. Keep your ears open for any more info!

AtmaWeapon
05-21-2003, 10:06 PM
I'm going make a Satoru Iwata shrine, because he seems to be one of the few people in the console industry that thinks like me.

War Lord
05-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Wouldn't want to pay for that bandwidth or servers easily now would we..

Because we all know how cheap they both are.

KingArthur
05-21-2003, 10:55 PM
we know they're expensive War Lord, Its just that we dont feel we should have to pay to play, say, an FPS online over something like X-Box Live, we'd much rather have an opewn ended peer to peer thing like gamespy.

Daarkseid
05-21-2003, 11:00 PM
Nintendo should focus on something more like Xbox live, in that you only pay a regular fee for ALL games that could be played online. That seems both practical and economical.

Personally though, I'd rather just find one good game I'd want to play online and just pay for that. They still make plenty of games that can be played single player, though perhaps its because I'm more upbeat about videogames since I haven't been particularly disappointed by newer games.

AlexMax
05-22-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by War Lord
Wouldn't want to pay for that bandwidth or servers easily now would we..

Because we all know how cheap they both are.

Most of the playstation games with onilne play (sans Everquest Online Adventures) managed to pull it off. Why can't Nintendo? Or more importantly, why doesn't Microsoft?

Grasshopper
05-22-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Daarkseid
Nintendo should focus on something more like Xbox live, in that you only pay a regular fee for ALL games that could be played online. That seems both practical and economical.

Xbox Live is like an all-in-one package, not just connecting to one game, but a whole network. But this isn't any good if you're going to play MMORPGs. I don't like paying $50 a year (or $6 a month) AND pay $9 a month for PSO ver I&II too. Not to mention you pay $50 for the game itself, thats around $200 just to be able to play one game a whole year.

But you know what the good thing is for me? I don't like them! :D So I'll never buy them in the first place. Bwhahaha :laughing:

Ian
05-22-2003, 04:04 PM
I think Satoru Iwata is one of the only people in the gaming industry who actauly knows what we want, not just what they want. Kudos to him, I'm glad he's in charge.

Ian
05-22-2003, 04:04 PM
Sorry about this, didn't try to. heh -_-