PDA

View Full Version : Review: Auto Modellista

AlexMax
05-20-2003, 08:47 PM
OK, I was pressured by my friends to get a game by the name of Auto Modellista. It was online, and seemed like a decent racer.

And.....well....fuck...I just dont know what to say about it...

You see, CAPCOM did almost everything right. The graphics, for being cell shaded, are gorgeous. The cars are so customizable that its not even funny. The game supports up to 8 players simultaniously online.

So why don't I know what to say about it? The driving experience.

Some genius at CAPCOM USA decided that between Japan and here, the cars needed to be a little more 'drift friendly'. The result is the fact that my tail slides out on almost every turn unless I tune my car to have grip++. They abso-fuckingly RUINED the racing engine. Add to the fact that you can even bounce off the walls, and you can see why US reviews slammed the game. And to think it won AWARDS for its engine back in japan. And whats worse, they are releasing the 'US' version back to japan in a gamecube version. How stupid can they be?

Now, this is not to say that the game is not fun. If you are willing to grit your teeth and figure out the new engine, it becomes somewhat enjoyable. But the fact is also that when you hit a wall, you rarely, if ever, slow down like you are supposed to. That means you get a lot of people online who get ridicuolously fast cars and slam them into walls and still come out 1st.

The game is alright. But I'm trading this shit in as soon as GT4 comes out. What a waste of a great title...it could have been so much more. And since they botched this release, we'll probably never see a 'fixed' AM2...at least not on our shores...so fucking sad...

Grasshopper
05-21-2003, 02:40 PM
Hey Alex. Remember a while back when you asked us which one you should get? AM, or MCII? Well, I kept pushing for AM. ;) I've played both now, and I totally agree with you. I'll admit that I'm not much for simulation over arcade. I'd still go for Burnout 2 over Gran Turismo 3. But the whole drifting thing just seemed to screw this game over. I hate sliding around every curve. Even going 20 mph around a curve you seem to slide like crazy. Ack.

Master Ghaleon
05-23-2003, 12:39 AM
Yea, the drifting sucks big time. But everythng else is pretty cool. I took the game back and told them that it didnt work so I got my money back. GT3 I think is the best