PDA

View Full Version : From the save-the-nerds dept.

J.J. Maxx
05-20-2003, 05:23 PM
Remember that vid that was posted a while back with the kid who was running around the screen with a pretend lightsaber making an idiot out of himself? Well it seems the internet has a conscience.

A couple of webloggers are raising money for an unfortunate teenager humiliated worldwide after a private video of his energetic lightsaber moves was leaked to the Net. (http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,58881,00.html)

:lol:

If this trend continues, AlexMax may be coming into some serious money. :blah:

fatcatfan
05-20-2003, 05:26 PM
If only I had a couple bucks for every time *I* humiliated myself.

carrot red
05-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by fatcatfan
If only I had a couple bucks for every time *I* humiliated myself.
You'd be about half a buck richer, so what?

fatcatfan
05-20-2003, 07:17 PM
If you only knew. I have no doubt I was the biggest nerd in my class in high school - something I freely and gladly admit today, but I cannot count the number of stupid things I did (most often related to pursuing the opposite sex) and to this day remember and kick myself over. Keeps me humble, I guess.

carrot red
05-20-2003, 07:50 PM
Regarding that kid in the video, he’s French (Canadian) why am I not surprised? And they were able to raise $1,000 in one afternoon, so I suggest we make a profession out of it or something. You’d have to be Richard Branson and his likes to earn that much money in one afternoon. Somebody bring a camera and I'll even do a Maddox trick.

I’m not in the habit of hijacking other people’s threads, so I apologize to you, JJ, but you called it from the save-the-nerds dept…

Originally posted by fatcatfan
If you only knew.
Oh boy, I don’t know how many times I have to tell you you’re *not a nerd*?
Everybody does stupid things and if you didn’t pursue the opposite sex, then you wouldn’t have been normal. Everybody makes mistakes and learns from them, it’ll only make you wiser and it did.
Please refrain from bashing my dad in this thread or else I’d have to report you to higher authorities or something, ok?

Blonde799
05-20-2003, 08:02 PM
/me remembers his days as a cursed nerd.

Another get rich quick scheme has emerged.:sb:

fatcatfan
05-20-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by carrot red
I’m not in the habit of hijacking other people’s threads, so I apologize to you, JJ, but you called it from the save-the-nerds dept…

Well, today I don't exactly consider myself a "nerd", at least not as I did then. I was a different person then. But I still remember those stupid things I did, laugh and think "man, what a dork I was". Someone said something like that on the blog site that raised the money for this guy. They weren't laughing at him so much as reflecting on the similarly silly things they had done. My oldest brother is ten years younger than me, but he has that same sort of awkwardness and when I see him I'm reminded of what I went through. I realize now that a lot of my ostracization was in my head. Through elementary and middle school, I *was* a nerd, and got the "special" treatment that only elementary school kids can provide. I don't know who teaches school children to be so cruel, but they are good at it. It created a mindset within me that bound me through high school, the idea that I was not a part of the rest of the class, that I could not participate in their part of life. To a certain extent, that was and is still true - social heirarchies are more pronounced in school than they are in "real" life. But what I realized too late was that there was a group of my peers, people I'd had classes with for 12 years, who accepted me as I was, and would have included me... had I been willing and able. Many of those same people are still my friends today, though life and distance have separated us. If I have a regret, it is that I did not enjoy their friendship more when I was able.

Today I'm a nerd of a different breed. I'm a computer geek. But I don't smell of that strange intermingling of Doritos and B.O.

Anyway, that's just a long drawn-out way to say "thanks for the compliment" ;)

Gerudo
05-21-2003, 03:52 AM
Originally Posted at waxy.org (http://www.waxy.org)
May 13, 2003
The Star Wars Kid has been found!

The two videos were downloaded 1.1 million times from my site alone, a staggering 2.3 terabytes of traffic, placing a geeky little kid at the center of the web's attention practically overnight. So who was he and what was he thinking?

My research revealed few details, until the culprits finally contacted me. His name is Ghyslain, a 15-year-old tenth grader living in Quebec. Originally recorded onto an 8mm tape on November 4, 2002 in the school's studio, the video was never meant to be seen by anyone. After Ghyslain returned the borrowed videotape to his friend, the video sat in a basement for months. On April 19, 2003, Ghyslain's friend stumbled on the tape's secret contents and immediately shared it with friends. They thought it would be a funny prank to encode the video and upload it to Kazaa.

It only took two weeks for the video to spread around the world. Raven Software's Bryan Dube added the Star Wars effects on April 24, a mere five days after it originally appeared to the Internet. A week later, both videos were linked on every major gaming- and technology-related website, forum, and chat room online.oh my... i bet you all say "so what" to this poor kid, but what if it happened to you?

anyways, i am shocked that this kid's 'friend(s)' would do something like this... i admit, i did laugh when i saw it, but i thought it was done on purpose! :o

bigjoe
05-21-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Blonde799
Blonde799 remembers his days as a cursed nerd.

Another get rich quick scheme has emerged.:sb:

At last we will reveal ourselves to the public. At last we will make people cringe.

AlexMax
05-21-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by J.J. Maxx
Remember that vid that was posted a while back with the kid who was running around the screen with a pretend lightsaber making an idiot out of himself? Well it seems the internet has a conscience.

A couple of webloggers are raising money for an unfortunate teenager humiliated worldwide after a private video of his energetic lightsaber moves was leaked to the Net. (http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,58881,00.html)

:lol:

If this trend continues, AlexMax may be coming into some serious money. :blah:

HEY!

/me throws a brick at JJ Maxx.

Heh, you're the one to talk, Mr. DDR Freak. :blah:

fatcatfan
05-21-2003, 03:05 PM
There you go. Let some videos of you doing your DDR thing "leak" onto the net. Might make you some cash.