PDA

View Full Version : Someone help me find some system specs...

PrfectGREG
05-20-2003, 07:15 AM
I need to find some specs and info on:

NES
SNES
N64

PSX

Sega Genesis
Sega Dreamcast

and Xbox
PS2
and
Gamecube.

If anyone wants to help that would be sweet.

cap2030
05-20-2003, 11:34 AM
nintendo's website has the specs for all their systems.
I'm pretty sure sony doesnt have it on their site.
dont know about xbox.

skidphyzz
05-20-2003, 12:30 PM
Just Don't try going to the 'Sega' site because I tried that before, you have to go to the sega systems site which there are no links to on their main page.

mike5000
05-20-2003, 04:26 PM
1) specs of the Playstation..

Processor: 32-bit R3000A
Processor clock speed: 33.8688 MHz
MIPS (Million Instructions Per Second): 30
Bus speed: 132 MB per second
Cache:
Data: 4 KB
Instruction cache: 1 KB
Graphics:
Resolution: 640x480 maximum (five interlaced and four non-interlaced modes supported)
Colors: 24-bit (16,777,216) maximum; other modes supported are 4-bit (16), 8-bit (256) and 15-bit (32,768)
Maximum sprite size: 256 pixels high x 256 pixels wide
Polygon rendering: 360,000 polygons per second
Geometry engine: Provides additional hardware rendering of polygons to include Gouraud shading, texture-mapping and lighting effects
Memory: 1 MB RAM

----------------------------------------------
And my FAV. the Playstion 2

Processor: 128-bit "Emotion Engine"
Processor clock speed: 300 MHz
Floating point unit (FPU) co-processor operating at 6.2 gigaflops
Bus speed: 3.2 GB per second
Original Play Station CPU core as I/O processor

Graphics: "Graphics Synthesizer"
150 MHz
Embedded cache
4 MB VRAM
Resolution: 640x480 or 320x240 interlaced
Colors: 24-bit (16,777,216) maximum, as well as 16-bit (65,536) mode
Geometry engine:
Alpha channel
Anti-aliasing
Bezier surfacing
Gouraud shading
Mip mapping
Perspective correction
Z-buffer
Polygon rendering: 75 million polygons per second

Audio: SPU2 (+CPU)
Channels: 48
Sample rate: 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz
Memory: 2 MB RAM
Optical digital output

Memory: 32 MB RDRAM

Operating system: Proprietary Sony

Game medium: Proprietary 4.7-GB DVD
Supports original PlayStation CDs
Video DVD support
Audio CD support

Drive bay (for hard disk or network inteface)

Other features:
Two memory card slots
Two USB ports
FireWire port (called iLink by Sony)

MPEG decoder
Audio:
Channels: 24
Sample rate: 44.1 KHz
Memory: 512K RAM
Digital effects (envelope, looping, reverb)
MIDI support
Memory: 2 MB RAM
Operating system: Proprietary 512K ROM
Game medium: CD-ROM
Transfer speed: 150 KB per second normal, 300 KB per second double speed
Audio CD support
Memory buffer: 32K
----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX specs

A modified 733-megahertz (MHz) Intel Pentium III processor with a maximum bus transfer rate of 6.4 gigabytes per second (GBps)
The Xbox possesses the fastest processing speeds for a game console to date. For comparison, the PlayStation 2 has a 300-MHz processor and a maximum bus transfer rate of 3.2 GBps. The Nintendo GameCube has a 485-MHz processor and a 2.6-GB maximum bus transfer rate. See this page for a comparison of the Xbox, GameCube and PS2.

A custom 250-MHz 3-D graphics processor from Nvidia that can process more than 1 trillion operations per second and produce up to 125 million polygons per second
Polygons are the building blocks of 3-D graphic images. Increasing the number polygons results in sharper, more detailed images. The graphics processor also supports high resolutions of up to 1920x1080 pixels. For comparison, the PlayStation 2 has a 150-MHz graphics processor and produces 70 million polygons per second. The GameCube has a 162-MHz graphics processor and produces 12 million polygons per second. It should be pointed out that the PlayStation 2 and Xbox figures are theoretical top speeds -- it's unlikely that your system will reach that limit. Nintendo's figure is considered a more realistic number for its console.

A custom 3-D audio processor that supports 256 audio channels and Dolby AC3 encoding

An 8-GB built-in hard drive (Having a built-in hard drive allows games to start up faster.)

64 MB of unified memory, which game developers can allocate to the central processing unit and graphics processing unit as needed (This arguably makes the Xbox more flexible for game designers.)

A media communications processor (MCP), also from Nvidia, that enables broadband connectivity, and a 10/100-Mbps (megabits per second) built-in Ethernet that allows you to use your cable modem or DSL to play games online

Other Xbox features include:
5X DVD drive with movie playback (functional with addition of movie playback kit)
8-MB removable memory card
Four custom game controller ports (one controller sold with the unit)
HDTV support
Expansion port

----------------------------------------------------------
Gamecube specs

The GameCube is powered by a 485-megahertz (MHz) IBM microprocessor, an extension of the IBM PowerPC architecture. It has a maximum bus transfer rate of 2.6 GB per second. The Gekko also features a whopping 256 kilobytes (KB) of level 2 (L2) cache memory.

An ATI 162-MHz graphics chip, called "Flipper," allows the GameCube to produce about 12 million polygons per second. Polygons are the building blocks of 3-D graphics. Increasing the number of polygons results in sharper, more detailed images. In comparison, the Nintendo 64 produces 150,000 polygons per second.

A special 16-bit digital signal processor supports 64 audio channels.

The GameCube has 40 MB of RAM (24 MB 1T-SRAM, 16 MB of 100-MHz DRAM).

for more stuff goto http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/channel.htm?ch=entertainment&sub=sub-games

AtmaWeapon
05-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Only thing I see wrong with that is where you put anti-aliasing under the geometry engine of the PS2. One of the single most stupid things that Sony did when making the PS2 is a lack of hardware anti-aliasing.

MottZilla
05-20-2003, 04:54 PM
Ya, I was gonna mention that. Some games, like the USA version of Tekken Tag, use a faked anti-aliasing effect, which while makes polygons less jagged, makes texture detail suffer.

GameCube and DreamCast in my opinion, had some of the smoothest graphics ever. :O Forinstance put PS2's Soul Calibur II vs. DC's Soul Calibur. DC looks much better.

vegeta1215
05-20-2003, 05:12 PM
My friend did a presentation on the GBA in my computer architecture class last week. He told us about the two processors, how they work, and the kinds of instructions used for both, etc. It was pretty neat. You know there's only like a 16 megahrtz clock in a GBA? What makes it fast is that it's RISC.

AtmaWeapon
05-20-2003, 06:47 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the SNES did all it's magic with a 3Mhz clock. It would seem that if you specialize a processor for nothing but sprite work, you don't need quite the power that a PC needs for all its stuff.

PrfectGREG
05-20-2003, 08:03 PM
Thanks Mike, apreciate it. :D