PDA

View Full Version : The Rocky Effect

Starkist
05-20-2003, 05:21 AM
Rocky always gets a rematch, but what of his opponents? In the first movie, he loses to Apollo Creed by a split decision. In the second movie, Rocky gets a rematch. Apollo owns Rocky for fourteen rounds but Rocky luckily knocks him out and takes the title. Does Apollo get a rematch? No....

Then Rocky gets his rear handed to him by Mr. T. He goes away and trains and comes back for a rematch. He wins. Does Mr. T get to go away and train for a rematch? Nope. In the fourth movie Rocky beats up the Russian dude, and again, no rematch. Rocky goes as far as to retire! :tongue:

Anyway, why does Rocky always get a rematch and his opponents do not? Same goes for video games. Gannon can kill Link a million times, only to have him reload the saved game and come back for more. Link only has to kill Gannon once. Why can't Gannon have a saved game? :(

TheGeepster
05-20-2003, 05:32 AM
Well, as for video games, most of them nowadays have it where you start from last save. So that the "death" and "loss" become a part of an alternate timeline, and not the main timeline itself.

As for Rocky, who knows? Maybe they were just so stunned at losing the thought never occurred to them (or perhaps they did rematch after the movie and whooped up on Rocky..)

fatcatfan
05-20-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Starkist
Why can't Gannon have a saved game? :(

It's called a "sequel"

AtmaWeapon
05-20-2003, 11:52 AM
Also, "Gannon" isn't in any Zelda games. ;)

Dr. Mutagen
05-20-2003, 12:03 PM
I think that Dr. Wily's an even better example of this whole rematch thing. That S. O. B. never gives up.

Gerudo
05-20-2003, 02:12 PM
he also never dies... ;p

he just never gets caught... also never gets put in the right prison...

"hey lets put evil dr wily in a ninimum security prison!" "ok!"

Beldaran
05-20-2003, 03:35 PM
ganon banned:)

Starkist
05-20-2003, 05:10 PM
TSA's not here anymore, I can call Ganon whatever I please. :)