PDA

View Full Version : Custom Boss help -

eatyourneighbors
05-19-2003, 03:59 PM
alright all you ingenious quest makers...i'm at a dead end with making a custom boss, maybe one of you can help!

i understand all the concepts behind making a custom boss...using animated combos for floor tiles that can change to pitwarps sending you to an identical screen slightly changed, etc...i understand using enemies underneath layers surrounding by blocks to give your custom boss apparent hit points. making his attacks animated combos that change to damage combos..etc, etc, etc...

but here's the one thing i can't figure out, and i'm determined that there is a way i'm just not thinking of.

how can i make a custom boss that is only voulnerable for a short window of time at a time. for instance, we have a cyclops who can be hit in the eye with the wand magic when its open. so we create a screen with his eye closed and animated damage combos for the lightning bolts he throws from his fingertips or whatever....have the floor tiles animate to pit warps, which warp us to a screen where his eye is open and he is voulnerable to attack.

now here's where i'm having the problem. if we attack him and hit his eye, we'll want there to be pit warps which appear on the floor to warp us to an identical looking room (where boss has one less hit point...after going through this, say, 5 times, it will warp us to a final set of rooms where the boss is defeated). BUT...if this monster can only be attacked when his eye is open, we have to have those floor tiles animate and change to pit warps to warp our hero BACK to the room where the eye was closed if that eye is NOT hit during that voulnerable time. Which is impossible, because of course we can only have one tile warp per screen...

sooooo, fellow questmakers...how can i make a custom boss which is only voulnerable at certain times and has multiple hit points? is there something i'm missing?

lord_jamitossi
05-25-2003, 10:53 AM
I've never really done this before but have you tried timed warps? you could warp the player from a room where his eye is closed to one where it is open and warp him back to the first using side warp bearings w/ timed warp ticks. then, when the vulnerable eye is hit, warp him to the next room using pit tiles and the tile warp bearings. this is just a guess, and it'd take like three times as many rooms but it could work.

DeathLink
05-25-2003, 07:14 PM
u can have a block underneath it that at certain times that arrow/anything can go threw it?

idontknow
05-25-2003, 07:46 PM
huh? arrows and such go 'through' everything, both solid & not solid objects, so there's no way to make it so that arrows and such go through something only at certain times-actually, you can make it so that at certain times, link must hit the boss with the hookshot or magic from the magic wand, via the appropriate weapon flags and combo cycling. you can cycle between an unwalkable combo and a walkable combo in order to it up with the hookshot (or cycle between unwalkable & hookshot over). To set up the wand magic, cycle between a normal combo and a magic sponge (this would be like making a boss shield that protects against magic) if desperate, you could try placing a massive amount of blue darknuts in a very small space underneath the boss (although they should have a lil bit of space to walk) and that way, at certain points, if timed right, you could shoot things pass the darknuts, or otherwise they will hit them and be blocked).

eatyourneighbors
05-25-2003, 08:51 PM
unfortunately, timed warms wont work. there is no way to pit warp you to the next screen using timed warps...you dont end up in the same place...(if i'm missing something there, that could be a HUGE step in the right direction...)

as far as the blue darknut thing...yes, thats kind of a fix, but it still doesn't allow me to make a custom boss who's voulnerability i can control...for instance, the blue darknut (or enemy) could be hidden under a layer of the boss so that the player never actually sees the darknuts, but instead thinks he's hitting the boss. unfortunately, its impossible to make the darknuts cross the voulnerable point the exact moment the "eye is open", and have the eye "shut" when they are not there.

if i were to sacrifice zoras, i could used the zora sprite to be an open eye and make a water sprite that looks like a closed eye...that was one method i figured out...but who wants to sacrifice zoras for a custom boss?

still utterly confused...i know there must be a way and i'm so close to figuring it out...just need a little help! haha

is there a combo that blocks all attacks? (ie, sword beams, arrows, magic...NOTHING can pass through it?)

idontknow
05-25-2003, 10:15 PM
you could make it so that the player must hit the eye with the hookshot item:
(perhaps a diagram may show it better)

Opened Eye
Link-------------((o))
Link/HS---------->o))

Closed Eye
Link-------------(---)
Link/HS-------->(---)

1. set it up so that the eye is multiple tiles long and so that link can only hit it from one direction, like from the left as in above-this could probably be done best with a 'HS Over' pit that link can't cross but can use the HS over
2. Make the first part of the closed eye a regular, solid combo Animate it so that its animation frames is more than 1. Set it so that its animation speed is at least 15. The more animation frames & slower the speed, the longer the player will have to wait for the eye to open, for the chance to attack
3. Make a second combo of the left part of the eye, the one that corresponds to the combo from step 2. Make its combo type a solid, hookshot over combo and make it look like the left part of the eye when open. Cycle each of these combos to one another.
4. Make two more combos, an open eyeball and a closed eyeball, cycle these to one another and make them each have the same # of animation frames & animation speed as the left part of the outter eye.
5. Do the same thing you did for the left part of the eye for the right part, making a closed & opened part and cyle them to each other.
6. Make a combo of each part of the opened eye and animate it so that it looks like the eye is hurt (like make it flash or something) cycle these to the corresponding parts of the opened eye
7. Place flag 16 on the left part of the eye, the HS weapon flag over the eyeball (the center of the eye) and flag 17 over the right part.
8. Set the secret flag of flag 16 so that it is the animated left part of the eye that looks like it is hurt. Do the same for the other two parts and flags.
9. hold ctrl button and click the secret combo of flag 16 and set what we call 'the secondary flag' to be flag 16. set the secondary flag for the HS secret combo to be the HS flag and the secondary flag of the secret combo 17 to be flag 17.
10. Make a tile that looks like the floor and make it a pit warp.
11. place flag 18 on every floor tile. Set its secret combo to the pit combo that looks like the floor if you want the player to defeat it after one hit, which would be kinda easy--if you want multiple hits, set seconary flag of secret combo 18 to flag 19, set the secondary flag of secret combo 19 to 20, etc and then the last flag has no secondary flag and has the secret combo of the pit combo and the others have the regular floor combo.
12. Make an identical screen but with the 'dead eye' or boss or whatever and if you want, a heart container and victory music-make a dmap for this screen
13. go to the original boss screen and set the tile warp to the identical, victory screen and set the warp type to insta-warp TaDah!
14. you can do a similar thing with magic--make the closed eye a magic sponge combo and the opened eye a regular combo, which allows the magic to pass and place the wand magic flag over the center-the eyeball and set its secret combo and secondary flag appropriately and Viala!

eatyourneighbors
05-26-2003, 06:40 AM
thanks idontknow - at least now i can make the custom boss with the hookshot and the magic wand. i just wish i could do this for EVERY weapon. ah well, whatcha gonna do. anyone else have any other suggestions, i'm open to them!

NerdWarrior
05-26-2003, 07:10 PM
Um...you might be able to use full screen warp with timed warps. If I had the old version of RoT, I could check the custom boss of level 1 to see if it was right.

idontknow
05-26-2003, 07:58 PM
RoT? whats that? if it has a custom boss, i might wanna check it out. what version does it use? but anyway, no, the full screen warp does not have anything to do pur say with the timed warp--all it does is make it so that the item & enemies 'warp' to the designated screen as well, so if you want the enemies/item to seem to pit warp just like link does, then you'd check this screen flag, whch is actually pretty good for neat effects