PDA

View Full Version : I wanna work for Virgin

carrot red
05-17-2003, 10:28 AM
Branson buys island for Virgin staff
Fri May 16, 3:24 AM ET

SYDNEY (Reuters) –“ Flamboyant entrepreneur Richard Branson has bought an island off Australia's eastern coast for the worldwide staff of his Virgin companies.

Branson told reporters in the western Australian city of Perth on Friday that Virgin would be forking out a $5 million (1.98 million pounds) to buy "Makepeace" island off the plush Sunshine Coast resort of Noosa and turn it into an "ecotourism retreat".

The 10.2-hectare (25-acre) island will have a main house, camping sites, a training center and tree-house accommodation and will offer tennis courts, nature walks and water sports.

Branson said he bought it to thank staff for making the Virgin group a success.

Virgin Blue, Branson's discount Australian airline, which posted a more than 200 percent jump in net profit this year, has around 2,500 staff. Worldwide, the Virgin companies employ around 50,000 people, a spokeswoman said. “

That’s what I would call a neat employer. I’ve never heard of one thanking all members of his staff in such a way.

sagelink
05-17-2003, 10:32 AM
Whoa.. an entire island? Holy crap...

TheGeepster
05-17-2003, 10:38 AM
Wow.. talk about company perks..

Ich
05-17-2003, 04:43 PM
He probably just got the island so he can create his own evil lair.

plith
05-17-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by carrot red
That’s what I would call a neat employer. I’ve never heard of one thanking all members of his staff in such a way.

Up here, the Jordan brothers (they own a rather succesful furniture store) once gave a free trip to the Bahamas to all their employees. They announced it over the radio and had all the stores put that radio station on at the right time.

obi
05-17-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by ICHBINDASWALROSS
He probably just got the island so he can create his own evil lair.

For some reason he alwasy reminded me of that Supervillan from the Simpsons that employs Homer and moves him and his family to that really nice place. I forget his name but he was cool all the same.

Jawa Podracer
05-17-2003, 07:10 PM
obi, you mean the island with the gas? Heh...

Still, living on an island would be cool. As long as it has an energy source(probably solar or wind, or maybe an underground wire to the mainland), I'd be happy.

TheGeepster
05-17-2003, 09:40 PM
Mr Burns, One of the more interesting Simpsons characters. What I wanna know is how you can afford to give everyone a paid vacation, or bring them all to a private island..

carrot red
05-17-2003, 09:52 PM
When you are a Richard Branson, you can afford anything, Geepa, even the weirdest eccentricities he's been known for.
Now, the good thing is that he thought about his employees, whatever his reasons might be.
What is commendable is what the company plith talked about did, being that they are on a much smaller scale.
Others should follow suit.

TheGeepster
05-17-2003, 10:06 PM
That's cool with me. Where do I sign up again?

carrot red
05-17-2003, 10:14 PM
Beats me. I already said *I wanna work for Virgin*.

Drunken Tiger
05-18-2003, 01:40 AM
That company is growing like you wouldnt believe over here... Its got everything.... They even have their credit card now...

plith
05-18-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by TheGeepster
Mr Burns, One of the more interesting Simpsons characters.

Nonono, he means that Island of People Who Know Too Much shpleel. Where they drugged people constantly.

obi
05-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by plith

Nonono, he means that Island of People Who Know Too Much shpleel. Where they drugged people constantly.

Not Mr Burns or the one plith said either, ill try to find a pic but its hard when i dont know the guys name or the episodes...

EDIT - GOT HIM http://www.villainsupply.com/amievilornot/graphics/scorpio.jpg
Hank Scorpio!

Jawa Podracer
05-18-2003, 02:24 PM
That doesn't look like the guy I'm thinking of. Probably a different episode.

Anyway, what does Virgin do anyway? All I know of is that they have a phone busness where I live. What else do they do?

plith
05-18-2003, 02:38 PM
Ah yes, that supervillain.
"Hammocks! Great idea! I even know a terrific little hammock shop. They've got this one salesperson, and if you pay her extra, she gets in the hammock with you. Nah, I'm just kidding."
"Homer, which country do you hate more? France or Italy?" "Mmm, France." "Heh, no one ever says Italy."

TheGeepster
05-18-2003, 02:39 PM
Aaah, the James Bond spoof. Scorpio, I believe.. I loved the ending of that episode. (What football team did Homer get as a gift? Buffalo I think..)

Virgin also makes software I believe. Some of the big games are Virgin Games..

plith
05-18-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by TheGeepster
Aaah, the James Bond spoof. Scorpio, I believe.. I loved the ending of that episode. (What football team did Homer get as a gift? Buffalo I think..)

Denver. He wanted Dallas.

TheGeepster
05-18-2003, 02:50 PM
Aaah thanks, plith. You can tell I'm not a football person..