PDA

View Full Version : WTF happened to ad shield?

AtmaWeapon
05-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Cripes. I finally got around to downloading ad shield for my desktop computer at home, only to find (http://www.adshield.org) that instead of being a useful freeware popup and ad blocker, it is now a $29.95 popup and ad blocker. I know you can get a free version, but it is limited and only allows you to block a certain number of sites. I really liked ad shield on my laptop... anyone know of a similar program that blocks popups/allows easy blocking of particular sites and banners?

Starkist
05-16-2003, 04:23 PM
I still have the free old version... I'll just never update. :)

Gerudo
05-16-2003, 05:23 PM
www.panicware.com

works 99.7% of the time for me...

vegeta1215
05-17-2003, 03:04 AM
Mozilla or Opera: they both have excellent pop-up blocking features that are free and built into the browsers.

(Mozilla also has a feature which lets you block all pop-ups except those from the sites you tell it, in case you do want pop-ups from a certain site)

AtmaWeapon
05-17-2003, 02:11 PM
See, what I liked about ad shield is it had a block list, and say someone on AGN has an avatar I don't like, *poof* I never see it again. :)

vegeta1215
05-17-2003, 03:12 PM
http://adblock.mozdev.org/

obi
05-17-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Starkist
I still have the free old version... I'll just never update. :)
What is the version number of the free old version, It sounds kinda intresting...

Originally posted by Atma
See, what I liked about ad shield is it had a block list, and say someone on AGN has an avatar I don't like, *poof* I never see it again.:)
BINGO

AtmaWeapon
05-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Nice to see it's there for Mozilla. If I can figure out how to do the shell integration, I have a pretty good idea how to do it for IE... I just need to check and see if ad shield does what I think it does...

vegeta1215
05-18-2003, 03:25 AM
The url I linked probably does what you're talking about, but it's different in that it's just an extension to the browser, and since the Mozilla code is available, anyone can learn to write their own extensions and improve upon others'.

In fact, they have some crazy ass extensions too, you'd be surprised at the kinds of things people think of.

AtmaWeapon
05-18-2003, 06:57 PM
I actually looked at the source code for it LOL. I'm currently trying to figure out how ad shield integrated with IE... it is my full intent to create a program just like it and unleash it for free...