PDA

View Full Version : Save the languages!

Starkist
05-15-2003, 03:36 AM
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/environment/story.jsp?story=406324

:D While we sit around butchering English, many proud languages are disappearing. Go learn an obscure language and save it from extinction!

carrot red
05-15-2003, 03:59 AM
I'd rather save the bald eagle, if you don't mind.:)

inori
05-15-2003, 04:29 AM
The bald eagle's not even on the endangered list anymore. :kawaii:

I speak some Japanese... it's not in any danger of extinction, but it's sorta unusual in the States...

Beldaran
05-15-2003, 04:44 AM
I would rather see languages go extinct, even if I had to abandon english and learn something else, if it meant that everyone could speak the same language, thus enhancing communications.

TheGeepster
05-15-2003, 07:18 AM
I'm pondering what the purpose in saving a language that isn't spoken would be. Only thing I can think of is if there were manuscripts in that language worth interpreting.

I'm more interested in learning some of the languages which are spoken and might be useful.

Axel
05-15-2003, 07:54 AM
sorry, but a dead language has already attracted my attention. Latin.

Ich
05-15-2003, 09:38 AM
The only danger of German going extinct in my lifetime is by Americanization. Words like, "cool, easy, happy, die Party, Das Skateboard, Das Weekend, Der Gangster" are already in general use. Whenever there's a substantially longer word, like "Das Wochenende" they just take the English "das Weekend."

TheGeepster
05-15-2003, 04:10 PM
Now Latin is a key language to philology. It's also one of the classically learned languages and as such it is useful.

plith
05-15-2003, 05:22 PM
I think we should modernize Latin and work on making it the sole language of the U.N. All in favor, raise your feet!

MANDRAG GANON
05-15-2003, 05:37 PM
3 languages I want to learn, Norwegian, Japanese and Latin, I've looked all over for a latin translator thing on the net, does anyone know of where to find one....or even a site that teaches you it, or a english-latin dictionary?
I think it's better to have different languages, if everyone spoke english or something that would suck, becuase then you can't learn cool languages...its like if everyone in the world lived like americans the world wouldnt be as interesting...I don't think atleast. Although I must say that it is annoying when people walk be hind you and talk a different language....there used to be these people dow the street from me...they would speak english to eachother, but if you got close to them they would start talking in french...thats annoying.

Axel
05-15-2003, 08:26 PM
"...and in effectively removing all barriers to communication has caused longer and bloodier wars than any other single thing in history."

slothman
05-16-2003, 05:25 PM
Well you can probably find a Latin-English dictionary in a large bookstore. I have one. Or look on Google. The fist site was http://dictionaries.travlang.com/LatinEnglish/

Mak-X
05-16-2003, 08:11 PM
I'd like to learn Japanese and Hylian :)

TheGeepster
05-17-2003, 11:00 AM
Is Hylian an official language yet?

It is possible for a made-up language to be officially recognized, even if they were constructed as a fiction. Klingon, for example. But there are minimal requirements in vocabulary and grammar, to make sure that the language is a usable one, and not simply gibberish for use in entertainment media.