PDA

View Full Version : There is a god.....

Blonde799
05-14-2003, 12:33 PM
And apparently, he works at Agetec.:D
http://www.agetec.com/news.asp?ArticleID=81

AGETEC’S RPG MAKER™ 2 Gives Game Players Their First Opportunity to Prove Themselves as 3D Game Designers

SUNNYVALE, CA – April 10, 2003 – Agetec Inc., a leading publisher of video games, today announced that the fifth installment to their Designer Series of game creation software, RPG MAKER™ 2 for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system will be published in September, 2003 for an estimate retail price of $49.99.

This highly anticipated sequel to RPG MAKER for the PlayStation® computer entertainment system was originally slated as a Q4 2002 release. After extensive research and tuning to the game engine software, it is finally nearing the final stages of completion. RPG MAKER 2 is not just a sequel, but also a revolutionary leap forward for the Agetec Designer Series of titles. Most notably, the game has moved into the 3D realm, and does so by harnessing the power of the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system.

Using the power of the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system to back this truly unique title, RPG MAKER 2 offers everything players could need to bring their own fantasy game worlds to life. Players can build original worlds from scratch using a variety of 3D tools that include: a character editor, map creation tools, visual FX editor, script editor, and monster animation. By providing fully rendered 3D models for all the characters, monsters, backgrounds, and items, RPG Maker 2 lets the players have the freedom to write their own stories and use RPG MAKER 2 to make them come to life. No other title in the history of video games has ever provided this much incentive for gamers to use every ounce of their creativity! This is the closest most gamers will get to a full Development Kit for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system in their lives.

"RPG MAKER 2 is a blank palette only limited by the creativity of the gamer,” said Hide Irie, President of Agetec, Inc. "Every conceivable tool gamers will need to create the RPG of their dreams is included."

Highlighted RPG MAKER 2 features include:

Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced Modes – for budding game designers or seasoned pros!

Total Player Control – they write the story, design the levels, select the characters, and literally set the stage for adventure! With over 200 characters and enemies, more than 250 objects, and an infinite number of Magic/Skill abilities, weapons, equipment, and items to create; the possibilities are endless!

In-game Help Feature – anytime a player requires explanations regarding the creation process, they can simply press the START button to ask the in-game Helper Characters.

Ready-for-Play RPG – a sample game is included, created by members of the Dragon Warrior™ production staff using the RPG MAKER 2 construction software; showing players examples of what can be done with the RPG MAKER 2 technology!

Keyboard Compatible – since the PlayStation®2 is USB port compatible, there are a number of keyboard accessories available for the players to hook up making scripting infinitely easier.

Import Digital Camera Images – Sony Picture Paradise™ is a middleware product that enables the player to download their digital pictures into RPG MAKER 2 so they may use them in their game.

Full Camera Control – a fully functional camera system allows the player to direct dramatic cinema-style events and multiple perspective battles.

Real-time Environment Effects – add that extra touch of realism with customizable real-time weather and time-of-day effects.

Exceptional Sounds – add sound effects, environmental, and background music to set the mood of the adventure.

3D Map Creation – design and build entire continents using a wide variety of terrains and texturing tools!

Building / Dungeon Editor – allows players to create buildings and dungeons brick-by-brick or with pre-made walls and textures!

8MB of Storage – compared to the original RPG Maker, more than sixty times the amount of game data can now be stored on a single Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation®2). This allows ambitious game makers an unbelievable amount of room to create games to their hearts’ content.

Oh yeah, I can't wait. I'm sure they'll show it at E3, as a FAQ was being prepared(hope all those members asked all the questions they could).

For those who want screens and movies:
Screens of RPGM2(pavilion exclusive):http://www.rpgmpavilion.com/Pages/rpgm2_1.htm

More screens and movies of RPGM2(japanese version, but shows some of the editor and game in action):http://www.enterbrain.co.jp/digifami/products/rpg5/gallery.html

More english screens(but has outdated info on the game):http://www.rpgamer.com/games/rpgm/rpgm2/rpgm2ss.html

The second link is a bit tricky to navigate, but if you just look for the blue links that signify Quicktime or Windows Media files, you'll be fine. If anyone will offer a temporary spot for easier downloading, I'll be glad to get all the vids, since I usually go there for import information.:)

ka7an4
05-14-2003, 04:40 PM
Wow, almost seems to good to be true, it just seems like there promising alot that they won't offer.

MottZilla
05-14-2003, 06:28 PM
Wouldn't you need a keyboard to type in all the text in a half decent amount of time?

FYI, I despise RPG maker.

Blonde799
05-14-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by ka7an4
Wow, almost seems to good to be true, it just seems like there promising alot that they won't offer.
I thought it was too, but they've actually added on to the game since I last saw it, and you know what Agetec does to improve their games after the imports.

Originally posted by Mottzilla
Wouldn't you need a keyboard to type in all the text in a half decent amount of time?
Yeah. I plan on getting a USB keyboard sometime this year, so no more spending three hours on a script.:) I really didn't like RPG Maker that much either, because of all those limitations. But believe me, skeptics are in for a surprise.:D

SomUnknown
05-14-2003, 07:36 PM
Really, a whole 8 megabytes, all for me.
That really isn't a lot of room to play with (heeheehee, look at the bad pun).

I can do a whole bunch more in the Morrowind construction set.

Blonde799
05-14-2003, 07:39 PM
Heh. It really isn't with the 8MB limit, but you'd be surprised at how much space it actually takes up.;)

MottZilla
05-14-2003, 09:08 PM
With a 8MB limit you have LOTS of space. Afterall, the game is just maps, dialog, scripts, some enemy data, etc. So with 8MB of space for a RPG maker, you have PLENTY of space really..

Rijuhn
05-14-2003, 10:01 PM
Bah, it'll suck! Wanna know why? Simply because it isn't on the PC. So there is no easy way to transfer the games across the world to let others play it. No cool communities. And truth be told, there are only a few good RPGs ever made using RPG 2000 for the PC, and they are about 20 megsbytes.

Blonde799
05-15-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Rijuhn
So there is no easy way to transfer the games across the world to let others play it. No cool communities.
You have the sharkport.;) And what about the pavilion? That's a good community.:p

Originally posted by Mottzilla
With a 8MB limit you have LOTS of space. Afterall, the game is just maps, dialog, scripts, some enemy data, etc. So with 8MB of space for a RPG maker, you have PLENTY of space really..
That, and the only thing that'll most likely consume the most memory is text.

Rijuhn
05-15-2003, 12:57 AM
Actually I know there are and will be communities, but it won't have the same feelings working with it on the PC. I have RM2K, and I love it, but it's very very limited. If you want to make your own original RPG it's best to use Game Maker, at least it would be for me.

Lone Wolf
05-15-2003, 08:05 AM
I like the sound of this, The 1st RPG maker was pretty cool, this one will be 10 times better from the sound of it. :D

Kirbypuff
05-15-2003, 06:02 PM
I MUST buy a playstation 2. I MUST buy a playstation 2.

This looks like it'll be the best RPG maker ever.
So far the only ones I've ever palayed were some crappy computer ones with about 30 enemies and 5 pieces of music.

I MUST buy a playstation 2. I MUST buy a playstation 2.

Blonde799
05-15-2003, 06:17 PM
RPG Maker 2 will have about 69 tracks, a lot more than the previous one. There are also over 250 objects, over 120 character graphics, and over 100 monster graphics, which of course, do full 3D melee attacks.

Jawa Podracer
05-17-2003, 06:07 PM
Meh. RPG Maker 2000 will always be better. You don't need flashy 3d grahpics for a good game. Plus, you can use custom graphics in M2K, and you can make other sutff besides RPGs in RM2K: mini-games like Pac-Man, Tetris, or Checkers; A Harvest Moon style game ; A fighting game(It'll suck, but it's still possible); the possibilites are almost endless.

Blonde799
05-17-2003, 08:39 PM
I think of RPGM 2 as RPGM 2000 with 3D graphics and without the outside importability with the exception of textures from PP. If anyone checked out the english screens, you'll see that there's scripting and variables.:D

bigjoe
05-18-2003, 12:38 AM
They should have a PC Link along with it for a promo.

Itd sell like mad then.

Jawa Podracer
05-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Custom 3d graphics would be nice.
Still, custom 3d graphics will be a LOT harder than custom 2d.
In rm2k, Character models are grouped in 8 in a picture called a CharSet. There are 12 72x32 frames for each character. A frame for each direction(up, down, left,right) and walk(left foot out, no feet out, right foot out). In a 3d game, there are polygons and no frames, so basically you have to make a mesh, a texture, paste the texture onto the mesh, and fool around with the walking(not sure how that works). Much easier to create custom characters, no?

Blonde799
05-19-2003, 10:47 PM
So far as I know(and I know quite a bit about this game, not too much though, Agetec hasn't spilled yet), custom characters to the extent of scratchwork isn't possible. I know you can change color, motion assignments, and overall size though.:) If anyone looked at a certain screenie, you can see that one character is godzilla huge.:eek:

AlexMax
05-21-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Rijuhn
Actually I know there are and will be communities, but it won't have the same feelings working with it on the PC. I have RM2K, and I love it, but it's very very limited. If you want to make your own original RPG it's best to use Game Maker, at least it would be for me.

If you want to make your own origional RPG, learn a 'real' programing language.

Part of the fun of creating stuff with these Game Creation Systems is seeing how far you can stretch 8MB of space and the built in limitations...doing things that were never intended.

That was part of the lure of other GCS's like ZZT and Megazeux.