PDA

View Full Version : animated combos question

eatyourneighbors
05-14-2003, 11:39 AM
two questions actually -

when i try linking an animated combo to another animated combo (say i want four tiles of animation for one, four tiles of animation for another, pointing back to the first so that its continuous), the second combo doesn't animate...just quickly shows that first tile of the second animation, then goes back to the first 4 tiles of animation.

second, more importantly and probably easier to answer...in combo animation, is there a way that i can have a flag affect only the second combo....for instance say i want to create a custom boss and want him to be voulnerable to arrows when his eye is open (like ghoma). so i set up four animated tiles of his eyes closed, four animated tiles for his eyes open, and have them just cycle back and forth. is there a way to make it so that that arrow flag only will work when that eye is open?

hope that all made sense!

Blonde799
05-14-2003, 03:20 PM
All I can say is, check your anim. #s. Once the combo finishes one loop of it's animation, it cycles to the next combo.

And no, you can't flag cycle.

idontknow
05-14-2003, 03:23 PM
1. i'm not quite sure i got ya, but are you saying that an if one animated combo cycles to another, the second combo does not animate? double check that the each combo as the correct # of animation frames & speed

2. not possible--you're talking about 'flag cycling', which would be really cool; either that, or, perhaps easier, combos that act like weapon triggers & set off triggers when a certain weapon comes in contact with it and then making this combo cycle into different combos that the player has to activate the first combo at a certain time; i suppose if you want, you could have two identical rooms--both have tile warps to each other and regular floor tiles that cycle into pit warps but one screen has the weapon flag and the other doesn't

eatyourneighbors
05-14-2003, 03:41 PM
hmmm...yes, i tried this method...but there's one major problem here...maybe someone who's done custom bosses before can help --

ok...so we're making a ghoma style custom boss (eye opens and thats when he's voulnerable to arrows).

we've got a screen with animated floor tiles that change over to identical looking pit warps, which warp us to the screen where the ghoma-boss's eye is open. there are animated floor tiles there that will send us back to the identical looking room with the closed eye ghoma-boss after 5 seconds (giving us a 5 second window to attack). but heres my trouble...

if we do it like that, when we actually DO attack the ghoma, the only way for it to work is if the arrow flag sets off a bunch of pit warps which warp us to a new room where the ghoma-boss is defeated.

unfortunately, our tile warp is already set to warp us BACK to the room with the ghoma-boss with the closed eye...

thats my problem with that method of making a custom boss...does anyone else have any suggestions? is there something i'm just not thinking of?

idontknow
05-14-2003, 08:05 PM
make some of the secret flags (16-31) to be the combos of the defeated combo & make one of them to be regular floor tiles (that do not cycle to pit warps) and also make a shutter or block or something that prevents you from advancing to the next screen & make 1 or 2 of the secret flags to be combos that would open up a path for you to advance through once the ghoma is defeated--using creativity, it is not necessary for Link to need to warp to another screen

eatyourneighbors
05-14-2003, 08:08 PM
right, but another main reason to do the pit warping is if you want the custom boss to be able to take more than one hit...

so close...but yet so far away...i'm just trying to make a custom boss thats only voulnerable when he ________s. there's got to be a way.

idontknow
05-14-2003, 08:13 PM
Using multiple 'tiers' of secrets, you could have a passage open up for Link after x # of hits from <weapon name>, using flags 16-31 and weapon flags.

eatyourneighbors
05-15-2003, 08:48 AM
still...unfortunately there is the same problem...i can think of a few ways i can need to hit a custom boss multiple times to defeat him...however, i can not figure out how i can make there only be a window of opportunity to hit him, AND make him take more than one hit to defeat.

the only way i can think to do it is making water combos and using zoras as enemies. but then i'd have to sacrifice zoras in the game. ugh.

any more suggestions?