PDA

View Full Version : Do you test your own quests?

Aegis Runestone
05-13-2003, 08:09 AM
Just curious...but when I play some quests, some of them seems as though the creator never tested them him/herself. I personally test ALL my quests, making sure that everything works fine.

Demimore
05-13-2003, 08:13 AM
As do I. I don't "use" beta testers. The only one that has beta tested my quest Tld is my older brother. But that wasn't actually "testing". But he has only got the demo. I don't give him betas. NO one should have them, since there's a lot of "debug" things in it. I test more than build, sadly.... That's one reason for my slow quest making. I CAN'T resist trying out those new screens I make.... I just have to do it.

zed_cool
05-13-2003, 08:14 AM
I always try to test them, so I know if they have a problem and then i try to solve that problem if there is one. I think it is the bst thing to do.

Petoe
05-13-2003, 09:18 AM
I test my own quest just because I have only two good bugtesters who really do something. Others seem to forget that they are even testing the quest...

Anyway, testing takes too much time, but I have to do it. And as Demimoore said, testing takes even more time than the quest building. :redface: Everything just has to be perfect.
I'll never make a long quest anymore.

DarkFlameWolf
05-13-2003, 10:53 AM
Its not that I forgot to do it, its just that I simply don't have time. 17 unit of college (which amounts to 35+ hours of school work a week) + 30+ hours of work a week + a boyfriend and other real life things. I simply don't have time.
But yes, I do test my own quests. I tested Hidden Duality 6 times all the way through and found a fixed a lot of bugs. But there were still some nitpick bugs but NOTHING that could get the player stuck unless he/she was sorta dumb. (no offense) :P

Petoe
05-13-2003, 11:41 AM
Well, I didn't mean you, DarkFlameWolf. I know you're very busy and stuff, but still you could answer to my damn PMs!

Back on topic: I think that everybody should test their own quests (and I think everyone does that already :shrug: ) because even if you had the best possible testers, there can always be bugs that they didn't find or know they were bugs...

Aegis Runestone
05-13-2003, 03:34 PM
For me, after testing I must remember what bugs to fix, otherwise I'll be going to back to test for awhile :p.

I have that problem too, Demi, but I try to 'force' myself to build for awhile and THEN test. :)

Tip for Testing: Set up the cheat codes and use them to debug your tests and get around bugs that block your progress. I always have the cheat codes set up in order to debug my quests, when I release a demo, I just turn off the cheats.

ShadowTiger
05-13-2003, 04:24 PM
Demi Moore. Heh. err.. nothing.

I test all of my quests, and virtually primarily. Sure, I've received a few bug reports here and there, but the grand total of B-reports I've received for FoW was about... 3. :sweat: I was expecting at least 7. Testers have a life too, then again.

But I DO test FoW a lot, since it's easily on my hard drive. I test it after I do anything major, like a puzzle. Things almost always go wrong, and it's best to take it a little bit at a time. (Especially when doing those really complicated things, like having a door close (fully animated, BTW.) when you press a button, and opening when you press another button. (Also fully animated.) ) It's stuff like that which you really have to watch out for.

Tsukuru
05-13-2003, 11:00 PM
Part of building a quest is the fun of playing it yourself, right? Plus, I can imagine that anyone who never tested their quest would have piles of bug reports from their beta testers. I believe in beta testing, but only as a supplement to the creator's testing. The beta testers should be the ones to find the bugs the creator misses or give some good advice/suggestions.

Blonde799
05-14-2003, 02:13 PM
I used to test my own quests, and I had lots of fun doing it.:)

"Always create something you like. If you don't get your jollies playing the quest, even in testing, it's crap, no matter what anyone else says otherwise.":)

ShadowTiger
05-14-2003, 03:42 PM
Of course, if you don't let others test, (much,) they can't make helpful comments.

Aegis Runestone
05-14-2003, 08:38 PM
Wow...The response has been quite different than I thought. I thought more ppl would ahve at least answer 'sometimes' :) Maybe they aren't answering... ;)

Cronic
05-15-2003, 12:16 AM
Not only do I bring in testers, but I personally play over anything I put together time and time again until everything sits well with me... I test for functionality, graphical, and enemy/item placements... i have to make sure each and every screen feels well balanced, and somehow stands out from the others ;)

In case you ever wondered why AFA was taking so damned long ;)

Nick
05-15-2003, 04:13 PM
I test everything I make.

Considering I have a rather limited connection, I can't afford to make major flaws that hinder gameplay completely when releasing betas to my testers and releasing public demos.

On top of that... I play test for level flow, how something looks in ZC compared to Zquest, if my puzzles work, and such. My beta testers are more like people who give opinions than bug testers since I try hard to eliminate many bugs I find.

System Error
05-21-2003, 11:25 PM
I always test my stuff and try out a lot of things...I might have ONE bit---err...beta tester for BotLD, but....

Tygore
05-22-2003, 01:56 PM
I always test my stuff, but I also have other people do it, too. Different people do different things, and haveing a varietyt of testers can squish most bugs.

Rose
05-24-2003, 02:11 PM
Never the less i test my stuff as well. Gotta stay on top and keep the bugs down' and can't allow that to happen :D

Questwizard88
05-24-2003, 02:17 PM
I test myself silly. Do it all the time. i'm gonna have other testers for my quest as well.