PDA

View Full Version : Utopia

carrot red
05-12-2003, 08:49 PM
What would be your own personal *Utopia*?
Frankly, the thought of a Utopian society scares me. If everything is perfect, and everyone is happy then how do you know that you're happy? I mean, if there is nothing for comparison, then everything would just be dull and your emotions would just be so numb.

My idea of a "perfect" society is pretty much what we have today, but maybe with a little less crime, violence and whatnot, but not gone completely. Without darkness, there can be no light. If you are never angry, sad, upset, depressed, etc.... then how do you know when you are truly happy, excited, in love, and so on.
I guess your personal Utopia would be the best possible world for *you*.

What are your views on the subject?

Tsukuru
05-12-2003, 08:57 PM
I agree. As human beings we need, if not strive on conflict or else our lives would be boring. There would be nothing there to challenge us or interest us. There is a Buddhist prayer that says

"Grant that I may be given appropriate difficulties and sufferings on this journey so that my heart may be truly awakened and my practice of liberation and universal compassion may be truly fulfilled."

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Paradox
05-12-2003, 09:04 PM
my "utopia" would be difficult to comprehend. i will never be "totally happy". there are always things to be done, such as advancing in technology. if there is an end to technological advancement, then i suppose that would be my utopia.

if you want me to be simple, i'd say having a permanently healthy life with whatever i want to eat, all types of entertainment available (TV, computer, car, etc.), and a bunch of people who are friends... a girlfriend would be good too :)

utopia in terms of all-around society would be communism or anarchy or a benevolent dictatorship. those would all work perfectly. in theory.

TheGeepster
05-12-2003, 09:22 PM
It's my assertion that any Utopia would require the purity of its inhabitants. And if the inhabitants are pure, perhaps Utopia would naturally follow, however it would look.

Any particular setup of Utopian society could be spoiled by the natural wickedness of men, even if that wickedness costs them more than they gain in the end.

Beldaran
05-12-2003, 09:51 PM
My idea of a utopian society would be a society in which I was the undisputed dictator. I would use my power to destroy crime and dishonesty, ushering in an era of progress and happiness.

Pablo
05-12-2003, 10:01 PM
Sounds like fun, Bel. I'm in!

Rijuhn
05-12-2003, 11:33 PM
That's why those who wade through the trenches of hell in life understand the true value of peace, love, and humility. I have a better day when I get home if I've had a shitty day at work or at school compared to a moderately average one. I'm not saying I'm looking forward to having bad times, but for me I feel as if I'm in a Utopia if I've accomplished a lot in one day and then finally get home and open up something I just bought (usually a video game or something electronic).

I always try to find harmony in every moment of my life. There, I just did it now. I feel great!

Rijuhn
05-12-2003, 11:33 PM
EDIT: I don't know why this is a double post, but this happened a few days ago. Someone please tell me if there is something that I can do to prevent this. I'm not sure if it's something I've done with my computer or maybe it has to do with the recent errors I've had at AGN. I just want this resolved for the good of the forums.

carrot red
05-12-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Beldaran
My idea of a utopian society would be a society in which I was the undisputed dictator. I would use my power to destroy crime and dishonesty, ushering in an era of progress and happiness.
What name would you be using, if I may ask?

Beldaran
05-13-2003, 12:18 AM
I would be known as Emperor Forrest and my realm would be called the Galtian Empire, in honor of my hero, John Galt.

Jigglysaint
05-13-2003, 01:04 AM
Okay, Gump....

My perfect world, which I have developed for a long time, has of couse myself as the top power, but instead of being a dictator, I am a king who takes his responcibilities seriously. I can manipulate time and matter, and I use my powers for the benefit of the society, which is just a bunch of people in a few cities that have a buttload of tree around them.

The advasary is the dreaded Dip-dips, mostly token(tolken?) enemies that I continue to use to mark the dream I had when I was 3. The perfectness comes from having to be on guard all the time, and having to deal with the problems that arise. One could go so far as to say that I am the god of my world, and I used to think that this world would be where I would go to when I die.

Axel
05-13-2003, 07:45 AM
Ideal Communism. 'nuff said.

Ich
05-13-2003, 06:02 PM
Rijuhn: There is a preventive measure, a flood message, keeping people from posting more than once every 60 seconds. Perhaps if you submitted the info twice before the server recognized that you had just made a post, then it had two copies of the same post affixed to the same thread, bearing the same time stamp.

My ideal society would be me as ruler, with a small population, and German and English as the two major languages. I'd have a penal system consisting of me as a judge (with a population small enough to have that feasible) and the major form of punishment for severe enough wrong-doing being exile to some disease ridden 3rd world country.