PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Anyone that knows anything about computers

BebyGoku
05-10-2003, 05:21 PM
I got a problem with my other computer. I tried to name my computer on the network and then tried to put a password on it so no one could acces it. But i ended up putting a password on the computer. Then when i re-booted, it started up and it wouldnt let me get in my desktop when i tried to logg in, it said something like incorrect password try again. So i got the manual out and tried to clear the PW on it. But it didnt work so i kept readin and tried a couple more things truying to tell it not to start up asking for a password. Changed it to a higher performance level or something assuming that might help but it didnt, saved changes and restarted. Well now my computer whont start up at all, it turns on fans start and the screen goes black. Does anyone know anything that might have happend i am in need of some seriouse help.

Yoshiman
05-10-2003, 06:11 PM
Uhh... Call Circuit City?

VashdeStampedo!
05-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Sounds like something wrong with the hardware. For the password thing, most of the time if you push "cancel", it still goes.

SomUnknown
05-10-2003, 06:19 PM
That sounds pretty bad, I have no clue what's wrong, but I suggest going to Gamingforce (http://www.gamingforce.com/forums) and posting in their Help Desk (http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=27).

There are a lot of smart people there. They will probably be able to help you.

Breaker
05-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by VashdeStampedo!
Sounds like something wrong with the hardware..

More like the user. He set the cpu performance level beyond that of which the cpu can handle, hence the black bootup. As for the password, he's simply putting in the wrong one that he set. Reformat your harddrive and say goodbye to everything in it after going back into your bios and resetting the default.

BebyGoku
05-10-2003, 06:34 PM
OK but i did put the correct password in i know that. What about the black screen of doom i cant get past that?

VashdeStampedo!
05-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Breaker
More like the user. He set the cpu performance level beyond that of which the cpu can handle, hence the black bootup.
Good point. . .

Reformat your harddrive and say goodbye to everything in it after going back into your bios and resetting the default.
There are ways to fix it without formatting, but those tend to be expensive (it cost my friend something like $600, I think).

Breaker
05-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by BebyGoku
OK but i did put the correct password in i know that. What about the black screen of doom i cant get past that?

Let's try learning how to read first then we'll move on to step two which involves reviewing my above post and a tube of lubricant.

BebyGoku
05-10-2003, 06:44 PM
But i cant get to my bios, i cant do anything. Are you telling me to re-format when i cant even get the computer to start up.

AtmaWeapon
05-10-2003, 07:48 PM
Basically what he's telling you is you started messing with the nether regions of your computer that should only be touched by one who knows what you are doing. Because your INT was too low, and your alignment was wrong, you were zapped by the computer and lost your armor in the resulting fireball.

In short, processor performance has NOTHING to do with your password. It sounds to me that this is exactly what happened:

You set a Windows password. You screwed up when typing the password/forgot what it was/had caps lock on when you set the password. You tried to reset the WINDOWS password by resetting the BIOS password. When that didn't work, you changed your processor speed. Your processor speed was high enough to make the heat overcome the fans, and you burned up your processor, leading to the black screen of doom.

If my guess is correct, you have both voided your warranty and ruined your computer. Learn a lesson from this. NEVER set a password and forget it.

BebyGoku
05-10-2003, 07:52 PM
Uhh yeah basically that wraps it up atma, so no suggestions at how to fix i posted at that one site and no respons yet

Thunderbird
05-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Since you have fried your processor, the only thing you CAN do is to buy a new one. Make sure it is compatible with your motherboard (replacing it with an exact duplicate if possible is the best idea). Second, I'm going to bet money that your BIOS is still set to clock the processor too high. I'm going to assume that your motherboard has jumpers that permit you to control your processor speed and that these controls are currently set to "let the BIOS control it." Change the setting on the motherboard to whatever FSB and multiplier your processor is rated for. For example, my settings are 133Mhz FSB and a 12x multiplier (leading to a final speed of 1600Mhz unless I did my math wrong).

Hope you can make sense of what I just said :).

BebyGoku
05-10-2003, 08:57 PM
Uhhh yeah basically thanks for truying guys.....gott dig some money up from somewhere.

Flash Man
05-10-2003, 09:59 PM
The only way you could fry your processor is if your heatsinkfan is too poor or you are stupid and don't put one on or forget to pull the tab on the bottom. What you probably did is you set it too high, restarted and then it detected you were overclocking and it didn't like the idea of you going higher realizing the possible danger of it and set it so you can't boot. Clearing the CMOS would be the best thing by the jumper, or temporarily removing the battery. If you have an older board then you need to set the jumpers on the motherboard to change FSB or Multiplier, if thats the case then you need to buy a new computer anyways. Generally near the battery there is a jumper that if you set it to the 2-3 state it will clear CMOS setting the processor to the lowest settings allowing you to boot up. If none of that worked then you must have one shitty board to allow you to boot or you must have been stupid enough to remove the heatsink.

Fatty Lumpkin
05-10-2003, 10:11 PM
Don't freak out if the computer doesn't turn on after switching the jumper. You have to switch it back first.

Flash Man
05-10-2003, 10:19 PM
On most newer boards you can run with the jumper switch on, although its recommended you do not.

Fatty Lumpkin
05-10-2003, 10:25 PM
Ah, I see. I have a POS P2 motherboard :shrug:

BebyGoku
05-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Alright guys thanks for all the input i think some of yall helped my dad out a lil. We got it back up im on it right now. I basically did that thing flah man said , i think, i think he cleared the system configuration using the clear cmos jumper i think. But it works now and im happy...thanks again.