PDA

View Full Version : sweet idea for 'deku babas' & other 'standing' enemies

idontknow
05-10-2003, 05:19 PM
how to make deku babas:
1. make the tiles for the deku baba
2. make 2 combos--each should have 2 animation frames and should animate very quickly-the second combo should cycle to the first & vise versa.
3. place the first deku baba combo on the screen
4. One of the combos should be a damage combo (preeferably like damage 1/2 or damage 1) & the other a slash or slash->item (slash->item for true enemy type feel)
5. set the undercombo to the dead deku baba.
--You could do this sort of thing for other standing enemies that don't move--you would have to slash it and the precise moment when the slash combo stage of the enemy is shown but if they cycle quick enough, then you could probably perform this easily-this technique is great for c statues, cycling between a slash combo & a statue combo.

bahamut_85
05-10-2003, 05:28 PM
Wow, thats an awsome idea, I'll be sure to make use of this.

idontknow
05-10-2003, 06:18 PM
yeah, i agree but its still pretty experimental & it might be kind of buggy--see if you can do the following:
1. A spiked bush that hurts to touch but you can slash it
2. a statue you can slash down
3. a statue you can pound into the ground
..i'll think of more later--basically, in essence is what you're doing is making it seem liike you have 'mixed' combos-this isn't the case but you can cycle certain combos to get that desired effect by making them cycle so fast, that you physically can't detect two seperate combo types

Aegis Runestone
05-10-2003, 08:48 PM
Dang you're full of ideas! But a spiked Bush, I doubt it would work :p

idontknow
05-10-2003, 09:02 PM
i just tested it! IS AMAZING! It Is not possible to have a perfectly spiked Bush!
1. First, make two identical looking combos that both look like a bush but have one combo be an unwalkable 'bush' combo & the other be a damage 1/2 combo.
2. Place either one of these combos on the screen-it doesn't matter
3. Edit both combos so that they cycle to one another. DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY ANIMATION-LEAVE THEIR # OF ANIMATION FRAMES AT O!
4. Set the undercombo
5. play your quest & check it out! you can now slash a bush that hurts you! Do a similar thing with standing enemies! More specifically, you can make a guy and have him animated among two combos so that he seems to pull out a 'spiked shield'-the combo where the shield is out is a damage combo & the regular guy combo could be a slash combo! BE CREATIVE!
6. YAH! i'm so excited!

*b*
05-11-2003, 12:56 AM
I read this, sounds promising, but one thing that would make it a tad better for the deku babas idea, is using a bush or flowers so that leaves fly out when you slash it, and it also leaves a item sometimes. it'd make them very oot-like ;)

C-Dawg
05-11-2003, 01:35 AM
Yes, the bush works, but the statute enemy does not. Statute flags don't go away when the combo changes due to Combo Animation or cycling... unless something has changed in more recent betas.

-C

idontknow
05-11-2003, 08:55 AM
oh, so even if you were to slash a statue, undercombo would still seem to shoot fireballs?...thats so odd! we def need a new way of dealing with statues

C-Dawg
05-11-2003, 09:47 AM
Yea, thats what happens. But things might have changed, I was using this idea the day after I discovered combo animation in the first beta it was used in; DN may have fixed it.

-C

Happyman
05-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Yea, I remember reading the bug reports C that this was fixed. ;)

blckscab
05-17-2003, 09:59 AM
Thats a great idea, I might try it out soon;)

The deku babas could go into my forest temple:D

TheGeepster
05-17-2003, 10:25 AM
Statue fireballs are set into place immediate when the screen is entered and as far as I know, not modified after that. The only thing which might kill fireshooters placed by the "Statues shoot fire" rules is possibly a kill all enemies item or a having the boss defeated flag trigger and it be a boss room.

Cloral
05-17-2003, 02:47 PM
Nope - even that doesn't work. Think of the Digdogger from the first quest - it has statues in the room, and the statues continue to shoot even after the boss is dead.

TheGeepster
05-17-2003, 10:10 PM
Has a "Kill All Enemies" item been tested against Statue fire? It wouldn't surprise me if it didn't work, and it wouldn't be a good solution for anything anyhow..

System Error
05-18-2003, 12:19 AM
AFAIK, that won't work Geep.

idontknow
05-18-2003, 08:51 AM
doesn't this whole 'statues stop firing after secrets or something' have to do with the fact that statues actually spawn enemies so placing a secret combo over a statue would not actually kill the enemy? if so, then i think that statues should purely be a combo type as intended & do not actually spawn a fire enemy itself-on a different token, perhaps a quest rule or maybe even a screen flag or enemy flag: KillAllEnemies->fireshooters, which would make it so that the kill all enemies does kill fireshooters--itd be best as a screen flag or enemy flag because sometimes the creater may want to make it so that the kill all enemies does not kill fireshooters

Questwizard88
05-18-2003, 11:17 AM
they probably do spawn a fireshooter wherever they are. the thing is is that fireshooters are bnormal enemies, so they should definitely be affected by the kill all enemies item, but thats odd that they arent. is there a way to make more than 1 spiked bush or standing enemy on each screen?

idontknow
05-18-2003, 01:14 PM
um..yah, i'll explain spiked bushes again:
1. make two combos, each looking like a spiked bush (or maybe even a cactus)
2. one combo should be a slash, slash item, bush, or flower combo
3. the second should be a damage 1/2, 1, 2, or 4 combo
4. make it so that they both cycle back and forth to one another
5. leave their # of animation frames and speed at 0; they will cycle--there's seems to be a bug where if a combo has an animation frame # of 1, it won't cycle but if 0, then the combo will cycle immediately after Link enters the screen
6. set the undercombo
7. place as many of the spiked bushes on the screen as you want--if you want to make them have different undercombos, simply use the trick where you place flags 16-31 on each kind of bush and then set their secret combos
8. doing this method, the combos cycle so fast, that whenver link touches the bush, he will get hurt & just as well, whenever he slashes the bush it will be cut down to the undercombo; if you have more animation, then the combos won't cycle as fast however. But you could make the combos animate to look like an enemy so that at one point, the enemy hurts you and during another point, the enemy can be slashed

Ooh! i just thought of some more ideas:
1. A spiked 'post' or something that you can pound to the ground but will also hurt if touched--basically do the above except have the two combos be a pound combo & a damage combo.
2. An object that can be slashed or pounded--cycle between a pound or slash combo

TheGeepster
05-18-2003, 02:55 PM
"Kill All Enemies" may only effect the enemies in the proper Enemies list for the screen, and not those created by screen enemy flags, much like Boss Room rules do.

That's why I doubt it would work, but I thought there might be an off chance they would work.

As far as how it works, it is fairly clear that the "Statue Fire" rules places fireshooters on all statues.