PDA

View Full Version : Broke down and got an SP.

Brasel
05-07-2003, 04:52 AM
I got a Cobalt Game Boy Advance SP today with Pokemon Saphire. I'm impressed with both the Game Boy and the game. Anyone else have an SP?

KingArthur
05-07-2003, 10:16 AM
I would have one, but a lit up screen doesnt warrant me spending $100 on ANOTHER GBA. I mean, I ALREADY use rechargeable batteries in mine ^_^

SquishyMon
05-07-2003, 10:58 AM
How bright is the screen? The store demo I tried wasn't very bright.

Aegis Runestone
05-07-2003, 12:00 PM
You're weak...(that is IF you had a GBA before hand, if not, then....you're semi-weak :))

No I don't I like my GBA just fine, it's l337 enough as it is. :D

I personally don't like the new Design, I like the back light, I prefer the old GBA style to the blocky SP's design, it's too generic! I like the hexagon shape the GBA has MUCH better. It's l337 and creative.

Brasel
05-07-2003, 02:16 PM
Actually, I didn't have a GBA beforehand. I had sold mine originally because it was just too damn hard to see.

The screen is much easier to see, and the reason it probably doesn't look quite good in a store is because of the lighting in the store. Its the same way at the Wal-Mart I work at, but my SP is quite bright and easy to see.

Smokin' D. Grass
05-07-2003, 04:01 PM
I would get the SP, except for one thing: The Nintendo Gamecube Gameboy Player coming out in June!

Warlock
05-07-2003, 05:06 PM
Yeah, there is something up w/ the store lighting.. I dunno what the issue is, but I noticed teh same thing when I saw it at Wal-mart. But I have never had a problem seeing mine. The light friggin' rocks. I love it. I was trying to play Pokemon just over Spring Break (before I got my SP) and I had to be underneath a friggin' lamp with the GBA angled directly in the light just to see it. It's horrible. This LITERALLY describes the feeling:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2001-06-13&res=h

(Penny Arcade has a comic for everything!)

Anyways, SP rocks. I find that I play my GBA a lot now because I don't have to be under direct light just to see it. I didn't play it as much before, just due to the annoyance.. (except in some cases when I was going on trips).

The flip-top things rocks, b/c my GBA's screen is scratched up to hell. This protects the screen, which is awesome. To be honest, those were the two reasons I got it.. the scratches were driving me nuts :D

The battery recharge thing more than makes up for it too. Depending on how much you actually play your GBA, the money you save on not having to buy batteries makes it a deal :D

Maverick_Zero
05-07-2003, 05:20 PM
My GBA lighting is fine in certain rooms, like my upstairs bathroom. But alot of other places it looks like shit. Even in sunlight, so over the summer I might trade my GBA in and get a GBA SP.

Kirby of Doom
05-07-2003, 05:20 PM
I ordered one at BestBuy.com the sunday before this past sunday and it still hasn't come. I got Mario World and LttP already though. I currently have Gameboy Pocket, so I was long overdue for an upgrade.

Dart Zaidyer
05-07-2003, 08:33 PM
I'm not a fan of the GBA SP. I tried one and my hands are too big! It hurt just to hold the stupid thing. Plus, I've already got a GBA standard, and I take excellent care of it. And my Worm Light hasn't let me down at all.

Maybe if they make a horizontal SP, or better yet, one that's shaped like a GameCube controller with an SP-style fliptop lit screen, I would consider getting one.

mrz84
05-07-2003, 09:08 PM
i'm getting a gba sp once scarlet dragon gets his big check ($12000 i think) and agamecube and a ps2 :kawaii: but anyways, yesh, the sp is something gamers have wanted for a long time. and the rechargable battery comes with it so you don't have to but one :kawaii:

vegeta1215
05-07-2003, 11:25 PM
I think I'm going to get an SP over the summer. The only thing is deciding what to do with my regular GBA. I may give it to my brother, and then get another copy of LTTP/4 Swords so we can play it. We'll see.

But yeah, SP rocks, I think it's awesome. All those people that didn't have a GBA before, probably have one now :)

Aegis Runestone
05-15-2003, 09:15 PM
My GBa's lighting is fine, as long as I don't play CastleVania: Circle of the Moon :blah:
All the other games work fine. :)

Dracula
05-15-2003, 09:49 PM
I like the SP, just the feel like having a classic GB again... Ok, I know that I have Sasquatch hands, and the shoulder buttons aren't that comfy... But, the brightness and recharging feature is just a Godsend... The light makes gray look like white, changing the feel to Castlevania:CotM... And I'm one of those gamers that had a stash of AA batteries in my room, just for my Game Boy... Well, yay... Now I don't have to worry about that... Now, I just want to know... What the hell ever happened to the headphone jack? I know you can get an adaptor for it, but... WTF!?!?! Well, anyway... The sound quality is a lil' better than the standard GBA's speaker... But, anyway, with the laptop design, I can place the SP on a table, wit the screen halfway up, and play games like an arcade... But I'm crazy so don't mind me...

Yoshiman
05-16-2003, 06:37 AM
Orginally posted by Maverick_Zero
My GBA lighting is fine in certain rooms, like my upstairs bathroom. But alot of other places it looks like shit. Even in sunlight, so over the summer I might trade my GBA in and get a GBA SP.

Don't bother trying to trade your GBA in. Most stores only give you $30-$40 for them.

AtmaWeapon
05-16-2003, 11:41 AM
I bought a Game Boy because of its games. I bought the Game Boy Pocket because it had an improved screen that was larger and easier to see. I bought a Game Boy Color because even though the screen was smaller than Game Boy Pocket, it was in color. I bought a Game Boy Advance because I sensed it was a mini-SNES.

I will NOT buy a Game Boy Advance SP. I bought every other Game Boy because it was an improvement over a previous model. I bought an Afterburner light kit for my GBA because it was kind of hard to see, although I beat CotM 3 times before I got the kit. CotM is hard to see even with the light, but I installed an Afterburner for someone else, and I think I just did a bad job on my install because theirs was very easy to see. In other words, the only features that the GBA SP has that my GBA doesn't are the following:
The classic Game Boy shape that makes my hands cramp after 30 minutes of play. A rechargable lithium-ion battery that is cool, but can also be bought as a third-party peripheral for the GBA. A headphone jack I have to buy an adapter for if I want to use headphones.

I think I'll nab one if I see one for like $20, but only because I want to say I have every Game Boy.

vegeta1215
05-16-2003, 03:14 PM
I too have owned every version of the Gameboy (original, pocket, color, advance), but I'm definitely getting an SP. I don't care for the fact that you need an extra adapter to listen to headphones, or the lithium battery (cause I bought a shit load of AA batteries), or the shape, I just want it for the light. Each time I play my regular GBA I realize how much a lit screen would help.

AtmaWeapon
05-16-2003, 04:20 PM
http://www.tritonlabs.com

Any geek worth his weight in cheetos should be able to solder one of these babies in.

Raichu86
05-16-2003, 06:24 PM
I'm saving up for an SP. It's true, my GBA has a Light Shield (flip up light that protects the screen when closed), and I use lithium batteries or my AC adapter when I can, but I still want the SP. Why? Well, the flip top means I don't have to use a light shield to protect the screen. It just doesn't look good because it has an awkward shape, the color doesn't match the GBA right, and having it sticking up there is kinda annoying during gameplay (I got used to it, but still, if I take it off, playing the GBA feels SO much more open and lightweight). The light isn't perfect, either, and causes glare when in use.

I also have a problem with dust getting under my GBA screen, which I think happens through the cartridge slot. This wouldn't be a problem with SP, because there's no holes on the part of it that has the screen. So all I have to do is get one that doesn't come with dust, and it should be dust free forever.

The SP's also slimmer and fancier looking. I love how cute it is when it's folded up. I seriously can't wait to get my hands on one. I'm going for platinum, so it'll match my GameCube. :D

Link 101
05-16-2003, 07:29 PM
I want one, but I don't have $100. Does anyone know a way to get them at a cheaper price? Is there any fast way I can make money? Do card stores still buy gay ass Pokemon cards?