PDA

View Full Version : Boycott Comcast

Mystery-Q
05-06-2003, 01:47 AM
I'm starting a boycott against ATT/Comcast for unreasonable bussiness pratices.

Here is my reason.

Yesterday I called Comcast to find out about the transitionfrom att to comcast and when the new e-mails would be in place and was told that all my e-mails were RESERVED to transfer to the comast.net domain.

However I recived an e-mail stating that one of my addresses is now going to be changed.

Typically this shouldn't be a big deal. However I was told less than 24 hours that my names were reserved in their systems to transfer on June 30 2003 with no changes.

The person I spoke with could not give me any reason for this happening. Also would not let me speak to their supervisor or anyone else for that matter. All I was givin was the PO Box for ATT Boradband Internet Complaints. I have sent letters there in the past with no response ever. I have enev sent certified letters which were returned becuse no one would sign for it!

I'm just wondering if anyone there knows the definition of reservation.

What I am asking is anyone who has or is experiencing trouble with ATT, Comcast, or any of there partners to post what has happened to them. Wether its Cable TV, Internet or Phone service. All complaints are valid. I will be writing letters to the BBB, FCC, & Attourny General just to name a few and the more info I can get on them the better.

I will quote the posts anoymously however if you want to post but dont want me to include it in the letters just tell me so in the post.

Other ways you can help in the boycott

1. Cancel services & switch to another company if one is available in your area.

2. Write a letter to your mayor or governer stating that you would like a different company to service your area and include the reasons why. (This is your right as a taxpayer!)

3. Write a letter to another service provider outside of your area stating that you would like them to service your area.

4. Write letters to complaint websites and fourms.

5. Write letters to computer, electronic, bussiness, and video game magiziens that have complaint columns. Smart Computing has a great column and most complaints that they have look in to & published have been resolved.

6. Inform other people of Att/Comcasts bussiness pratices. If they are thinking of signing up, advise them not too. If they are a customer having problems, advise them to cancel.

7. Post this info in any forum that you are signed up too. The more people we can reach, the better are our chances of getting Comcast to change or to close up shop.

Anyone may copy the preceeding into any e-mail, forum post, web site, letter publication, anything you want. I want to reach everyone that has been screwed over by this company.

This is a chance to get back the services that we have been promised and expect, or to get a company that will provide a good service and keep there word.

Jigglysaint
05-06-2003, 12:26 PM
Crap happens and people make mistakes. Is this one situation or is this a problem(or set of problems) that has plagued you?

As long as nothing is lost or extra money payed as a result of a mistake I personally feel it better to forgive and forget.

Thunderbird
05-06-2003, 02:19 PM
I don't have any services that involve ComCast, but I have heard of some pretty bad crap that they have done before.

Blonde799
05-06-2003, 02:25 PM
Yeah, like those bastards turning off my digital cable one week before they send me the bill!:angry: Bah, cable monopolies suck.:p

AlexMax
05-06-2003, 02:57 PM
When monopolies take over services, shist like this ALWAYS happens.

And you guys wonder why I hate M$ with such a passion...

Mystery-Q
05-06-2003, 03:39 PM
Well jig I wish that I could agree with you but unfortuatly I have had on going problems with both AT&T and Comcast. Also there are many more problems that will occur with this happening to me. In the end it is going to cost me more money to resolve it which I already have a lawsuit in the works to be reumbursed for such costs. However I can't even get this in court unless there is a substantual amount of people that are having problems (which I know for a fact there are.) And my other issue before someone says it, I have no other ISP's in my area for broadband because DSL is not and will not be avalible on my street ever. So I have a big issue with Comcast doing this knowing that many people in my city can only use cable internet as a broadband option and they just assume that we will all deal with it. But the fact of the matter is we WILL NOT just deal with it. Since my first post earlier today I have communicated with approximetly 200 customers in my state that feel the way I do. Honestly so far I have not spoken with one person that hasn't had problems and all are joining the boycott.

And with that I now present to you stage 2 of the Comcast Boycott. I am orginizing a nationwide protest to be held at every Comcast office, dispatch, & distribution center. This protest will be held on a very imporant day for the Comcast Corporation. If you have a facility within your area and are interested in joining the protest please contact me. This will be a non-violent protest and will gain national media attention. Every meida outlet will be notified of all protest locations and I can promise you that they will be there as well. The objective of this protest is to completly shut down Comcast from conducting any bussiness for a 24 hour period. I have a dispatch center just a block away from my house and 2 comcast employees have confirmed that no van will be let out to work and no employees will be able to get in from the outside. I will either be attending the protest there or at the Comcast HQ. This protest will be a historic event in the media world. This is your chance to be apart of history and to let every monopoly (not just comcast) that we will not "take it or leave it" because they are the only game in town. Its time for the people to stand up and let our voices be heard. Don't just take the service because its the only one around. Make the sacrifice and let go of the service. Its the only way that things will change. From the information that I have recived I can say that if every Comcast customer that has had major problems cancelled the company would belly up. Like I said 100% of the people I have communitated with will be cancelling services and joining the boycott. Also if you do plan on cancelling your services with them for any reason please contact me before you do. It would be nice to have mass cancellations on the day of the protest.
I am aware that some of you might think that I am taking this to the extreme. Well your right because you are all worth it to me. If something like this were to have happened years ago I think that we might be better off today. Its about time we all started to protect ourselves. Just look at bussiness 40 years ago and then today. Then think about 40 years from now if things continue down the same path. That thought scares the hell out of me. They must be stoped!!! Unless you want our government to become more of a monopolized bussiness then it already is you must react now. And that goes for any company that runs itself by monopolizing not just comcast. And if you don't do it for yourself then do it for your children. Just think what type of life they would face. I will end this post with this thought for you all to ponder..............

Imagine Bill Gates as our American President!?!

Now...... Where do you want to go today?

Jigglysaint
05-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Well I have to admit that since I'm canadian, I have to deal with our own brand of anti-christ, Rogers, but since I have never been personally affected by a telecom boning, I really can't say that my opinion was made clearly.

If they are being jerks, give 'em a taste of democratic right!

inori
05-06-2003, 04:59 PM
So you lost an e-mail address. It happens; get another one. If you don't want it to happen again, look into getting a permanent e-mail address (basically, a fowarding service that sends your e-mail on to whatever address you're currently using, while letting you keep the same world-visible address).

Comcast is our ISP (though I don't use their e-mail servers, preferring my university address), and I've never had a problem with them. If your little protest thing successfully stopped Comcast's service, I would be seriously pissed. At you, not at them.

Masamune
05-06-2003, 05:11 PM
comcast is the only cable service in my area. and i hate satellite TV.

Rijuhn
05-06-2003, 10:32 PM
OKAY, I have some questions to ask, and a comment about AT&T.

First off, what is Comcast? Is it run my Microsoft, is it Microsoft? Does it own AT&T, does AT&T own it.

Second, what is the big deal with Comcast and AT&T? Are they joined together, or what?

Third, What services, if any, does Comcast offer.

Finally, what is so bad about Comcast that you want to boycott them?

Now for my comment. I have AT&T internet service. Not the broadband or anything else, just the 56k internet like most people have. So far my family and I have had no problems with ATT, but it does constantly try to send certain info outbound, and my firewall stops it, and my computer works just fine. I have nothing bad to say about ATT.

Mystery-Q
05-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Obiviovsly some people have not read my entire posts and others are confused as to what my point about the whole thing. Now I asked people who had problems to post about them if they wanted to. Maybe its my fault. I didn't want it to happen but I can see this post becoming one big flamin debate. Theres a better place for this. Maybe someone should move this to GB.

Goat
05-06-2003, 11:16 PM
I dunno if any of you remember, but I boycotted General Mills cereal 2 years ago for their unfair treatment of teh trix rabbit. We are just little people, boycotting them will do nuthing but get a hit put on ya, thats what general mills tried to do to me

Mystery-Q
05-07-2003, 04:00 AM
Acctually in a way the goat is right. Even if it happens it won't do anything to the company or its customers. Protests happen all the time for what ever reasons. All it is about is a gathering of regular people that have feelings that want someone to know. These people acting alone are usually ignored. Many bussiness have absolute crap for customer service. Yet many people still demand to be at least heard if nothing else. I feel that everyone has the right to be heard and acknowledged. No one should have to deal with a situation without being able to express there feeliings. Now when it comes to big bussiness a non-violent protest, boycott, or rally does no damage to the company. Even if 300 people stand in front of the office they still made there 30 milloion that day. So its not like it does any harm. The only hope of people that gather to protest is that someone will reconize that that they need to be heard.

As for me and my current situation I started out as venting as nurmorus calls to comcast left me with nothing. What can I do? I'm a poor man in a rich mans world. The only thing I can do to feel better is to get my feelings known. Basiclly bitching and complaining. But at least there is a chance that if the company wont listen to me then at lest I can inform the general public to think about it before joining up. Maybe the service is better in that area, then that's great. However it could be horrible also. I just want to put that little spark in the back of the mind that says says think about it first, dont just dive in. And as far as monopolies go I encourage people to decide if its really worth it to shell out cash and put up with a service that dosnt fulfill there needs.

Example. The cable TV in my area is terrible. They play the same movies over and over. Way too many repeats. For me personally the few shows that or movies that I do enjoy watching do not justify the cost. For that reason I choose not to subscribe to cable tv. I can find other outlets for what the tv can provide. Some people are like me and others are willing. I just try to motivate that dont realize that if they are willing to make a personal sacrifice out of principle that they should. Once agin I will say for those people that are lucky enough to not have any probems what I'm saying dosn't apply to you.

As I had started to say before i fell off track ot that In all honestly I don't know where this boycott will go. Basically I was pissed off so I started letting my feelings be known. And it just happened to spark interest in some people. Can I gaurenntee that I will get millions off people to boycott? No. Would I like to see it happen? YES? And why? Because this is my personal decision to to boycott this company. Also because it will make me fell like I have achived a goal. However not in the boycott but in motivating people to stand up for what they belive in. I know the letters that i am writing will do nothing but im still gonna write them. Why becaues i feel that it is my ony option being that there is not much i can really do. Also it is my duty to do whateven I can to make the world better.

Ok Im to tired right now i can barely type. ill get back into this tommorow.

Oh and BTW inori Even if what i posted acctualy did happen you would still have there connection and could watch your favorite show. I never said anything abot taking the servers hostage! LOL

Aegis Runestone
05-07-2003, 12:29 PM
you get my dad a job so we can afford DSL, and I'll boycott comcast. :p

fatcatfan
05-07-2003, 01:12 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/05/07/entertainment/main552686.shtml

This has lot to do with the crap we put up with from cable companies. They have a monopoly and they know it. From prices to poor customer service, you can blame deregulation and lack of competition.

Mr. 207
05-07-2003, 02:42 PM
I hate Comcast for reasons other then their internet service. Infact their internet service (thus far) has worked pretty well for me. I've only had one problem wiht it...and actually now that I think of it, that displayed how incompetent and ignorant Comcast is about itself. I got my cable modem and it worked for a week then it went down. Called and had a guy come and look at it. The asshole literally pretended to fix it then said "it sould come back on within an hour, if it doesnt call me and Ill come right back" That of course was a lie as we called and his dispatcher said he was all booked up and that he KNEW he couldnt come back that night. The end of the week rolls around and its still not working. Finalyl we call them again and they said "Oh we just found out our server wasn't working." IT TOOK THEM A WEEK TO FIGURE OUT THAT THEIR FUCKING INTERNET SERVICE WAS DOWN? Jesus christ. Idiots.

Their cable tv service is awful too. As some of you may or may not be aware, I am a wrestling fan. Maybe once or twice a year I will try to order a wrestling PPV. Not ONCE has a wrestling PPV come in right. Usually they will forget to turn it on, and we'll have to call them up and sit on hold for about an hour, THEN they'll FINALLY turn the show on. However sometimes thats not the case. I tried to order WM 2003. The show didnt come in. We sit with a guy for a fucking HOUR while he tries to get the cable box to pick it up. FINALLY after an hour he says "Oh well we are having problems with everyones cable box, nobody can get it. Oh but your still gonna be charged for it if it come son tonight." I can not STANd when tech people sit there trying things that they KNOW will not work, and waste my time. Stupid ass could have just said outright: "We're having technical difficulties with the program right now. They'll hopefully be worked out shortly"

Wow...this turned into quite a rant. I hope to god somebody starts another cable tv service around here sometime. Fuck Comcast right in its ass.

fatcatfan
05-07-2003, 03:14 PM
The city in which I live has discussed creating its own government operated cable service. I'm not if that would be better or not. Probably at first it would be better, but down the road, as the bureacracy grows...